Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering box trouble
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
daves_ale wrote:
KentPS wrote:
Just found this article on repairing a late bay steering box...

https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/79-bay-worm-and-roller-steering-box-repair.50327/

From reading Bentley, I had previously assumed they were not repairable.

Great find KentPS! Now if there is someone here in the lower 48 who would could do this there could be a lot of boxes repaired. I might need the one on my '78 done

Who will pay for the insurance that the person would need? All it would take is one person who crashes to blame the person who rebuilt the box. I could easily do them for about $125 - $150 each but its the risk that stops me. Why not fix it yourself.

If I had a lathe and a machine shop and the experience, then I would. Since I don't, I'd be happy to pay someone for their services. There are people on this site that rebuild carbs, dizzys, and fuel pumps. If any of those fail they could potentially cause a fire, crash, or some other mishap. The Pierburg fuel pumps could leak, dizzys could short circuit, carbs could leak or short out. But we trust the knowledge and ability of the fine folks on here that provide these services day in and day out to keep our weirdass love of these ancient vehicles alive and keep em on the road. If someone has the knowledge, reputation, and willingness to step up and rebuild boxes that up until this am I was under the considered opinion that they were unrepairable (thank you Bently), I'd tip my hat to them and say have at it. And if my box needs rebuilding (probably, been half a decade since I looked at it so I don't recall), I'd pony up the cash.
I think there's a better chance of a wreck being caused by crappy Chinese steering couplers or other shoddy parts available on the market than these boxes causing one. They have hardened steel parts that have survived this long. Replacing some worn out bushings with new pressed in ones I don't see causing disaster. In fact, you would know if you were screwed over just by following procedure when installing and adjusting the wee beastie.
Let's face it, this whole hobby is one big buyer beware and I give kudos to the lot of you that jump in here and learn and gain knowledge of the addictive German machines. The more you learn....

Sorry not sorry for the rant. I'm just glad to know that there is in fact a way to rebuild these boxes.

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

vwjordy wrote:
SGKent thanks ill try that. my biggest concern is how quick the fluid leaked out . when we first got the bus we pulled it in and out of garage 3 or 4 times a week to work on it. the gearbox didnt leak for a couple of months after we got it but then i noticed it started dripping then when we pulled it in for winter it seemed to lose a lot of fluid pretty quickly. its definitely leaking from shaft arm goes on. would the adjustment your talking about stop the leak or slow it down enough we didnt have to add fluid every day?

The Split guys are using this...

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

Toolbox put that in the box inplace of gear oil?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

vwjordy wrote:
Toolbox put that in the box inplace of gear oil?

Correct.
When I took my 68 box apart, I cleaned everything And found the worm gear to be damaged from water intrusion. Though it showed signs of pitting, I used all the original components and new seals.
First 500 miles the box had 80w-90 gear oil, which was clunky and noisy. Friend suggested to swap it out for grease. So, I did, which yielded a smoother, quieter steering box.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

no lathe is needed and you are selfish if take a position that encourages others to take your risk. Or you can look for a new factory gear and spend the $600 to $1200 for one. A pan with mineral spirits to soak everything, and some wrenches plus new seals is what is needed. Personally I would first fill it with gear oil and adjust it. If the gear is allowed to have more than factory specified play then it will leak more too once the seals harden. As others have said, some people use grease but it is not the preferred lube on a Gemmer gearbox. You can follow the factory instructions I posted a link to earlier in this thread to adjust it. You can also replace it with a TRW gear box that a photo was posted of too. Or you can take it apart and do the job yourself. It is a 50 year old car. Not like there are dealers around to do it for you. There is a shop in Dayton who does work, maybe they can recommend something. I don't know them but maybe someone here will. https://www.creativegerman.com/ Maybe 4 - 5 hours work at $120 an hour plus the drive is a guess what it would cost to rebuild plus the seals, or 2 hours and a new TRW gear box (they are inferior to the originals.) Gemmer has been making gearboxes since the 1920's. The design was licensed to VW to use. The Gemmer factory in France built some of the 1973 boxes. They also built boxes for Ferrari so they are no slouch.
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

Off the top I was referring to the Aussie site where they detailed the complete replacement of the bronze bushings from the inside of the box. This is where the majority of the slop occurs as long as there hasn't been damage due to water incursion. Thus, a lathe and press are required.
Secondly, I take exception to being called selfish, piss off.
Third, I have done the seals myself and do the vast majority of my own work and will continue to do as long as it is feasible. Where and when I can't I will source it out and pay for someone else's experience and be glad to do so.
One of the points of these tech forums is to keep using, repairing, and enjoying these vehicles and I'm damn glad to know that these so called unrepairable boxes happen to be repairable. Before going off on a diatribe on what I post why don't you actually look at what I was referring to, in this case the Aussie site, that describes the complete disassembly of the box and proper repair techniques instead of going on about seal replacement or complete box replacement?
You had posted some fine information, thank you. I was commenting on other information that someone else had posted. Shared knowledge from multiple people is what makes these forums a fantastic resource.

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

daves_ale wrote:
Off the top I was referring to the Aussie site where they detailed the complete replacement of the bronze bushings from the inside of the box. This is where the majority of the slop occurs as long as there hasn't been damage due to water incursion. Thus, a lathe and press are required.
Third, I have done the seals myself and do the vast majority of my own work and will continue to do as long as it is feasible. Where and when I can't I will source it out and pay for someone else's experience and be glad to do so.
One of the points of these tech forums is to keep using, repairing, and enjoying these vehicles and I'm damn glad to know that these so called unrepairable boxes happen to be repairable. Before going off on a diatribe on what I post why don't you actually look at what I was referring to, in this case the Aussie site, that describes the complete disassembly of the box and proper repair techniques instead of going on about seal replacement or complete box replacement?
You had posted some fine information, thank you. I was commenting on other information that someone else had posted. Shared knowledge from multiple people is what makes these forums a fantastic resource.

I have done many of these boxes. The bearing and shaft usually have a tiny bit of a taper. Usually they are fine although you can dress the shaft with 2000 grit wet and dry. The slop people feel is because the lash is not properly adjusted so the shaft is not tight in the taper. You clean the box, check the parts and put it back together with new double lip seals. The only thing that kills them is too much wear in the worm. Shims and upper o-rings are not available so a little wear there will show but it is nominal. I've seen worn worms gears beyond repair in an occasional box that was run dry. I couldn't care one bit about an Aussie article. I have a NOS factory box, and it performs the same as the boxes I rebuilt. Find people on this forum who have and can comment on NOS factory boxes. In 12 years I count three, maybe four.

One has to understand the history of steering gear boxes to know why they are so robust. There is a high spot in the center of the worm when they are ground new. This is to keep you from crashing after someone tightens the lash up. As they wear the high spot goes away and a eventually a low spot in the center will develop. When that happens the worm is tighter turned than in the center. If that happens badly your wife would crash when she turns hard to an unworn part of the worm and it gets so tight it locks up in the turned position. As long as the center is higher still than the outside of the worm the box can be adjusted and resealed. It really is that simple. If the box has gone dry, or gotten water and dirt in it, the bearing races and ball bearings will be pitted. I've seen that too but never so bad that new hard ball bearings wouldn't fix it. Someone probably still makes the races but I have no idea who. Usually one just cleans the box. The rough surface you see on the outside is usually WaxOyl the factory sprayed on it, and it has gotten dirt and gear oil on it that makes it look nasty.

Nasty looking

NOS Box

In the process of cleaning a used one that looked just like yours

How to adjust them - from factory Orange manual printed by VW in Germany.

French made early 1973 (left) and German made 1973 - 1982 (right)

One ready to go back together

Another ready to go back together

The screw (red) pushes down on the shaft (blue). That sets the lash. If the shaft is loose the seal will leak worse than when it is adjusted. Fill it with gear lube, set the lash, and see if it improves.

Other wise take it apart, clean it and replace the seals - yellow arrows. Be careful with the big o-ring and paper gasket. You can't get them.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

daves_ale wrote:

This thread....is an outstanding resource. Its actually more of a complete book at 20 pages.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446

This covers complete differences between VW and TRW, materials, parts, methods and rebuilding of type 1/3 steering gear boxes. While they may be a bit different than type 2....they work largely the same way and have some of the same issues.

The conversation about corn head grease begins on page 4....and gets deep around page 6. The gist is that Corn head grease is ideal. It is a thixotropic....meaning instantaneously shear thinning NLGI 2 grease.....that thins to an NLGI 00 grease....about the consistency of an IS0 160-ish gear lube. It is extreme pressure. Certain versions of Superlube grease also work well.
Many people with wkrm style gearboxes across a wide range of vehciles have gone to "gear greases" like this....with excellent results.

The corn head grease by John Deere is the king of this type of gear grease. I would never go back to standard gear oil in any of my steering gear boxes.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Many people with worm style gearboxes across a wide range of vehicles have gone to "gear greases" like this....with excellent results.

The earlier boxes with our tiny tapered needle bearings thrive with a lube that can flow. I couldn't get corn-head, so I tried this.

Leaks less, too Wink
Robbie

(What, you don't rebuild your steering boxes at campgrounds?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Many people with worm style gearboxes across a wide range of vehicles have gone to "gear greases" like this....with excellent results.

The earlier boxes with our tiny tapered needle bearings thrive with a lube that can flow. I couldn't get corn-head, so I tried this.

Leaks less, too Wink
Robbie

(What, you don't rebuild your steering boxes at campgrounds?)

Not an issue.

Needle bearings have no issues with corn head grease...or any grease in a steering gear box....when installed properly. Corn head grease is literally made for needle bearings. The spindles on combines/corn picker heads....run on needle bearings. Its precisely,why this grease was created.

The problem in these discussions about corn head grease.... is that people do not understand the nature of this grease.....or understand what thixotropic means. It means this grease "shear thin".....from a semi-solid NLGI 2.....to a liquid equivalent to a 165-200 weight gear oil...in about 1 millisecond...no shit.....without heat....to about -40 temperature.

Its recovery to a semi-solid....is measured in minutes to hours....depending on ambient temperature.

There is nothing special about the needs of needle bearings...even if you are using a normal 0 or 00...non thixotropic/shear thinning grease. This is in the install details. Its how you pack the box.

You pack the box void-free...with only a air bubble about 1/2" in diameter for expansion This means that as the gears move.....it extrudes the grease...through the gears and bearings to anyplace but in its way. It displaces the grease from one area to another. Since volume is volume and there is no air or cavitation.....there will be no place in the box where there in not pressure fed grease flow......CONSTANTLY.

The shear thinning nature of this particular grease....just makes it all easier requiring less force.

You can buy corn head grease on line. It does not leak at all. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

SGKent:
Thank you so much for the detailed rebuild info. Dancing
I've book marked this thread and will be following it when I finally get to doing mine.
Having clear pictures are much easier for me to follow than the tech manual descriptions.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

Hey Ray - so you fill it full with little headspace, and the movement in a confined space is what keeps it greased with no air pockets? What about the plastic plug that is simply a pop on in the late bay boxes. You'd have to thread a plug in there it or it would seem of the pressure would pop the plastic plug out. It also leaks a little air to allow for expansion. Lots of them also crack. How does this figure in since you say it has to be filled full with very little head space... .

Robbie - I think that fluid you are using is what used to go in my late CJ7 trans. If so it is a really extreme high pressure fluid that carries away a lot of heat. If so it is a lot thinner than gear oil and smells fishy as I recall. Borg Warner originally used AFT Dextron II in their manual 5 speeds but had so many issues they went to that special fishy smelling oil. Seems to me it was a GM product at the time. Some folks now use 50 wt gear extreme pressure gear oil in the T5 although some still use ATF because the early manuals called for it. The transfer case used regular 80/90 GL4 gear oil.

Also - I used to run Mercury Outboards on a couple boats I had. 2 stroke. Rebuilt both a 65 HP and a 105 HP. They used needle bearings, and the larger one made more HP than our bus engines do and ran at higher RPMS. They get their lubrication solely from the oil added to the fuel that washes thru the core of the engine.

The main point on these steering boxes is keep them full of lubricant, and keep them adjusted properly. The one on my 1971 bay saw almost 600,000 miles and was still tight and smooth when I sold it. I made checking it a regular maintenance item. Whenever I checked the trans I checked the steering.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Hey Ray - so you fill it full with little headspace, and the movement in a confined space is what keeps it greased with no air pockets? What about the plastic plug that is simply a pop on in the late bay boxes. You'd have to thread a plug in there it or it would seem of the pressure would pop the plastic plug out. It also leaks a little air to allow for expansion. Lots of them also crack. How does this figure in since you say it has to be filled full with very little head space... .

Robbie - I think that fluid you are using is what used to go in my late CJ7 trans. If so it is a really extreme high pressure fluid that carries away a lot of heat. If so it is a lot thinner than gear oil and smells fishy as I recall. Borg Warner originally used AFT Dextron II in their manual 5 speeds but had so many issues they went to that special fishy smelling oil. Seems to me it was a GM product at the time. Some folks now use 50 wt gear extreme pressure gear oil in the T5 although some still use ATF because the early manuals called for it. The transfer case used regular 80/90 GL4 gear oil.

Also - I used to run Mercury Outboards on a couple boats I had. 2 stroke. Rebuilt both a 65 HP and a 105 HP. They used needle bearings, and the larger one made more HP than our bus engines do and ran at higher RPMS. They get their lubrication solely from the oil added to the fuel that washes thru the core of the engine.

The main point on these steering boxes is keep them full of lubricant, and keep them adjusted properly. The one on my 1971 bay saw almost 600,000 miles and was still tight and smooth when I sold it. I made checking it a regular maintenance item. Whenever I checked the trans I checked the steering.

SGKent...you shouldn' have to but I do anyway. Before I added threaded plugs to the tops of my steering gearboxes....I had 0 trouble with popping the plugs even with superlube gear grease.

This makes the assumption that when a portion of the gear train moves from point A to point B.....that the grease has to be "pushed" ahead of it somewhere causing pressure. It simply flows around and through any bearing surfaces....to fill the void that the gear train component moved out of. There are no sealed voids inside of these boxes. They are all connected.

I had to replace my plastic plugs with metal plugs....simply because I cant find any to fit my gearboxes.

The other difference with corn head grease is that....within seconds of starting to turn your steering gears.....its no longer a grease. Its a thick liquid. You are just moving the gear parts through a thick liquid.

After you shut down.....in very quick fashion....it starts to regain solidity so it does not leak out. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwjordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

thanks for all the helpful info!! SGKent from the looks of the pic you posted mine might be the french one it has a plastic ring between the pitman arm and the gearbox. does it take same seals as the german version and how do you know what seals to get? are there numbers on the seals? do you replace ball bearings or is the small bag of bearings in your pic just the old ones cleaned up?
WaterBulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

Great work done here, and this inspired me to buy a couple of used boxes to build one or two good of the parts.

The bearings appear to be the biggest trouble, all boxes I opened are more ore less worn out or even heavily damaged here. These bearings are specific for this box, so you cannot find them anywhere although there are SKF numbers on them (355904 and 355927).

However, I found a dealer who had bought the production remainders and now has these parts in stock (as well as original VW wheel bearings and gearbox bearings).

http://www.peters-bearing.de/index.php

Btw: removing the lower bearing is quite easy even if you do not have the puller.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

WaterBulli wrote:
Great work done here, and this inspired me to buy a couple of used boxes to build one or two good of the parts.

The bearings appear to be the biggest trouble, all boxes I opened are more ore less worn out or even heavily damaged here. These bearings are specific for this box, so you cannot find them anywhere although there are SKF numbers on them (355904 and 355927).

However, I found a dealer who had bought the production remainders and now has these parts in stock (as well as original VW wheel bearings and gearbox bearings).

http://www.peters-bearing.de/index.php

Btw: removing the lower bearing is quite easy even if you do not have the puller.

Got to hand a kudos to anyone who can track down those parts.
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

Hi, reviving this for a quick question about the seals. Are they both the same size? They weren't on the type one boxes. Doesn't look like the worm shaft and the roller shaft are the same size, and I can't really tell from the photos.

Andy
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

All I can tell you is that the 1968-1973 (or so) boxes used two seals that are slightly different. I’ve been able to find them on eBay once you know the size
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
Hi, reviving this for a quick question about the seals. Are they both the same size? They weren't on the type one boxes. Doesn't look like the worm shaft and the roller shaft are the same size, and I can't really tell from the photos.

Andy

For a late bay:

Output shaft (roller shaft) 28x38x7
Input shaft (worm shaft) 22x32x7

I just did both of these on my late bay box, and the switch to corn head grease. Its much better than the "new" replacement TRW style box that I tried first, which had major issues after installation. I plan to post more later, but I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend buying the TRW style boxes currently available (note, TRW no longer makes replacement boxes, but the currently available ones look just like them, but are probably of even lower quality/cheaper. Mine is/was garbage).

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box trouble Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
vwjordy wrote:
so what would be my best bet with this one? try a new seal, try to get rebuilt, or look for a replacement? if i look for replacement who sells the best? i see people say trw but the vendors dont list who makes the ones they sell

if you have some connections in Europe a new factory box when you can find it is $600 to $1200. The TRW or similar boxes are Ok. Most likely yours can be cleaned up. Why not just fill it with gear oil and adjust the lash per the factory specs. If the oil runs out in 6 months fill it again.

I'll post again how to adjust steering gearbox http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/gearbox.pdf

TRW style replacement.

How do the TRW boxes compare to the ZF boxes? Same internal design ? Cheaper build ? What is the main internal difference ?? Any pictures of a taken apart TRW box ??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: