Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage speed exhaust
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

Is anyone here running the full vintage speed exhaust on their WBX? I have one of their setups on my 2.1 and notice when it’s running and the lighting is a bit darker out that the stainless pipes coming off the heads glow orange. Normally I’d be concerned thinking it’s running super lean but have checked CO%, timing, and basically anything that could cause a lean burn. Even checking the temps with an infrared gun tells me they are running at normal exhaust temps. The only thing I can think of is that the quality of stainless tubing they are using is the cause. All 4 head pipes are doing the same thing.
Anyone else with one of these setups ever notice this?
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

I would think that might be normal the pipe right there runs from a low of about 800 degrees to a high of 1400 degrees the later at full power. John
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

We heard this a lot with the WBXaustSS, both owner and shop installs. I think there are two factors, one psychological and subjective, the other physical.

Subjective is the unacknowledged fact, but a fact nonetheless, that when a person buys something new and expensive, especially something that is bought to give some pleasure, it occupies their attention for a time. There's probably some term for this in psychology, Shiny Object Syndrome or something. So when you stick on that new exhaust system, with all the cost and work involved, it's what you're gonna look at, so you notice things it does and think they're new. I see this all the time selling automotive add-ons, they make people suddenly notice minor things that were there all along. Unfortunately these newly-noticed things are invariably seen as problems, and you wouldn't believe the amount of time vendors spend talking customers down off ledges that exist only in their minds.

So the question is, were you in the habit before of watching your old exhaust pipes in the dark? Because I can tell you, they glowed too, maybe not as brightly but at some degree of darkness they visibly glow as any piece of hot metal does.

Your old exhaust spewed steam and sputtered water out the tailpipe while warming up on a cold morning all its life, but people only notice that after the new exhaust installation, because it's what their looking at, and they think it's something new.

The possible physical factor is that mild steel will conduct heat about 4 times faster than stainless. So at the exhaust ports, where there are rapidly repetitive blasts of flaming gases exiting the cylinder head exhaust port, both types of metal are exposed to the same heat. My possible explanation, and this is theory, is that the mild steel conducts more of that heat down along the pipe runner and spreads it out, where the SS conducts less heat along the pipe so the spot temp builds higher where it's directly exposed to the fire, in the first few inches of runner length. So the SS pipe glows more brightly for a shorter length, and the mild pipe glows less brightly over a longer length.

This could be tested with an IR temp gun and an example of both type of pipes to look at.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugeye72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

Stainless is a terrible conductor of heat, as metals go. When welding it, it's amazing how cool the workpiece stays even a short distance from the actual weld area. Because of this, the pipe might well be quite a bit hotter right where it bolts to the head than on a stock steel exhaust, which would scavenge heat better.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

I do.
and it does.
Cool
I've seen tons of different headers glow at night.
Had a 350 chev with Hookers on, they sounded sweet and looked amazing at night.
but I'm old and others may disagree.

Peace

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbersidedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

I'm looking into this Vintage Speed as well, I do have a GW 2.2 kit carefully installed on a 1.9l case in my '85 Westie, I'm not entertaining the GW sport exhaust kit because they seem to offer no appreciable performance gain.

I used tencentlife's many detailed posts and guidance for this build, and with the mods to the AMC heads etc. i want this to wake up just a bit more but I have some stumbling blocks, namely:

• It was born a 1.9l, so with the Vintage Speed I' think i'd have to convert to the 2.1 mounting system no? Not sure who supplies the best...

• I live in CA, thus I'd need a 50 state compliant performance cat for it to make sense, any suggestions appreciated, though I guess I'm not entirely opposed to swapping every two years. I do enjoy clean air though.

• I originally wanted to install the WBXaustSS because for this 2.2 (1.9 case) build only the best will do and after following the guidance on tencentlife for the build it makes the most sense but alas I'm making a feeble attempt to keep costs down Shocked post covid and it appears they're no longer in stock.

Any thoughts or wisdom fellow vanagonauts?
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

IMPORT FEES??

Has anyone received a UPS email about import fees for a delivery within the US?

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

just installed vwspeed one from uk on my t25 joker awesome quality fit nice small adjustments where needed
price was right and fast shipping from the uk all and all happy with it looks great sounds great
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

dougass wrote:
IMPORT FEES??

Hmm, it's been a couple of years, but I had Vintage Speed ship me their Stainless Steel Tailpipe, and at least at that time, I don't remember any fees tacked onto the cost of the Tailpipe. Shipping time was pretty fast too
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

I'll check my paperwork Idea it's worth it my was a ticking time bomb Shocked one and done Exclamation
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

dougass wrote:
IMPORT FEES??

Happened to me a while back, maybe 10 years ago at least. My wife's Italian grandmother had made a crochet bed spread for her and shipped it with stupid expensive price as declared value, UPS was asking 900$ in custom fees to deliver the package.
Although they were pretty understanding when we explained what it was and that grandma was 98 years old.
We ended up not paying anything.
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

Hah, thanks for the anecdote.

So I ordered everything except for the headers because, silly me, I put on GoWesty headers a few years back and am currently reluctant to replace “new” equipment and save some $$. Has anyone done this?

Currently having fitment issues aligning the muffler to cat delete / j-pipe. Everything is loose except for the headers, so hopefully when I crack the headers loose I can pull it all together.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

An update on my system for anyone that cares. After running it for a couple years and about 10,000kms I developed an exhaust leak which initially thought was a blown joint gasket under the cyl 3/4 side collector flange. Upon closer inspection I found the pipe had actually cracked along the length of the pipe near the flange. Also found the flange cracked around the weld at the #2 pipe coming off the head. After getting ahold of Trent at VS, he sent me 2 new pipes to replace the broken ones. Upon install I noticed the new pipes had beefier flanges but when bolting it up snug I found a lot of vibration along the whole thing. In my opinion the heat cycling and this vibration caused the premature failures. To solve this from happening again I built a support bracket out of flat stock to attach between the moustache bar center mount area and flange between #2 pipe and the pipe/collector that snakes under the 3/4 side cylinder head. After running it I noted that the vibration on this pipe is almost nil now. Hopefully this helps anyone else that runs into this. Would like to see VS add this support bracket to their kit in the future.
Big shout out to Trent and VS for stepping up and providing great customer service.
70 911T
91 Westy
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

Thanks! I care.

I assume VS is Vintage Speed. Where did you call Trent? Is this in Canada? Where did you buy your system originally? Did it ship from overseas?

Thanks. RonC
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
An update on my system for anyone that cares. After running it for a couple years and about 10,000kms I developed an exhaust leak which initially thought was a blown joint gasket under the cyl 3/4 side collector flange. Upon closer inspection I found the pipe had actually cracked along the length of the pipe near the flange. Also found the flange cracked around the weld at the #2 pipe coming off the head. After getting ahold of Trent at VS, he sent me 2 new pipes to replace the broken ones. Upon install I noticed the new pipes had beefier flanges but when bolting it up snug I found a lot of vibration along the whole thing. In my opinion the heat cycling and this vibration caused the premature failures. To solve this from happening again I built a support bracket out of flat stock to attach between the moustache bar center mount area and flange between #2 pipe and the pipe/collector that snakes under the 3/4 side cylinder head. After running it I noted that the vibration on this pipe is almost nil now. Hopefully this helps anyone else that runs into this. Would like to see VS add this support bracket to their kit in the future.
Big shout out to Trent and VS for stepping up and providing great customer service.

Hello!

do you have a picture to share please? Is it rigid or a rubber mount is installed? You can't put anything from exhaust to moustache bar, you'll be making the engine more rigid to the moustache bar, stressing the exhaust even more.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

It's solid but not attached to moustache bar itself but the aluminum mount that bolts over the oil pump. The one that has the 2 large clamps that mount the muffler to it if that makes sense. I'll see if I can get done pics at some point.
70 911T
91 Westy
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
Thanks! I care.

I assume VS is Vintage Speed. Where did you call Trent? Is this in Canada? Where did you buy your system originally? Did it ship from overseas?

Thanks. RonC

I bought mine through concept 1 in Canada. They gave me Trents contact at vintage speed to get the ball rolling.
70 911T
91 Westy
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

I think #2 cracking was sometimes an issue on a different vendors stainless exhaust. They added this support.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
It's solid but not attached to moustache bar itself but the aluminum mount that bolts over the oil pump. The one that has the 2 large clamps that mount the muffler to it if that makes sense. I'll see if I can get done pics at some point.

OK, it make sense ,thank you for the clarification!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage speed exhaust Reply with quote

I talked to Vintage Speed today. They said they are currently making some improvements to their Syncro exhaust system and the new version should be ready in about 8 weeks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: