Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need some suggestions on bell housing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

I bought an engine from a guy a few years ago and he gave me this bell housing... I want to attach it to my engine stand to be able to start and run my freshly built engine. Apparently he drilled holes in it to cut it down☹️
Can I just cut it flat and weld it to a metal plate to attach it to my engine stand?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

Since the transaxle case is magnesium you are going to have to get the correct rod to weld with.
Also you are going to have to clean it very well before trying to weld on it.
Oil soak magnesium does not weld well.
You may find it cheaper to find another case or bell housing from a Bus.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

Cant weld aluminum or magnesium to steel
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

set the engine on the ground, bolt up the bell housing and start up the engine. It will run fine sitting on the garage floor or on top of a wooden pallet.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

If you do decide to attach the belhousing to a plate I would use the clutch cross shaft as the point to weld a steel plate to. Then add some tabs that bolt to the bellhousing and weld to the steel plate.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
set the engine on the ground, bolt up the bell housing and start up the engine. It will run fine sitting on the garage floor or on top of a wooden pallet.

+1

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinions! I don’t want to set it on the floor or a pallet because I have a cb slim sump that is attached to the oil strainer hole and it would put a lot of pressure on it.
An old tire sounds like a good choice at this point.
I was thinking that since I had it I would use it. Gonna be too much trouble I guess.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
An old tire sounds like a good choice at this point.
I was thinking that since I had it I would use it. Gonna be too much trouble I guess.
You can still use it to attach the starter to your engine and fire it up on an old tire. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

Butchered to a point only thing it's good for is mounting starter... IF you want a mount to attach to engine stand I would look for a 002 bus bellhousing...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

Maybe get creative and bolt some brackets to the housing, then weld your plates to the brackets. Then weld or bolt the plate to the stand. If you're creative enough, you could make it removable from the stand when not needed.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

Gotcha! I read through most of the engine start stand threads. Some really really cool looking ones too!
I figured I had it and why not use it. Agreed I could just use it for the starter too.
I love the 002 housing idea. That would easily adapt to my current engine stand.
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

Here's what I did:

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

That’s cool! I just don’t want it sitting on the floor with all of the weight on the sump.
I have an empi engine dolly with the caster “wheels” (I guess they could be considered wheels)
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

I just think the best engine stand is the car.
As a bonus, if you don’t have any leaks, you don’t have to move the engine again.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

I see your point. It will be a first start to my first engine build and, as much as I want to think everything will be perfect, I’m certain I will have some newbie issues to resolve before it goes into my car.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

I don't see how going through all that is easier than just putting it in the car??
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

Maybe the car isn't ready yet...
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
I see your point. It will be a first start to my first engine build and, as much as I want to think everything will be perfect, I’m certain I will have some newbie issues to resolve before it goes into my car.

You are being smart. On the test stand you can run the motor, set the timing and properly break in the cam and be able to easily look for oil leaks or listen for bad noises, at a comfortable height with no bodywork in the way. Once the motor is ready to go you stick it in the car, fire it up and drive away. Absolutely no drama. No crawling around on the floor adjusting the valves after cam break in, etc. You might still have to tinker with the carb to get the accelerator pump adjusted correctly but that is no big deal.
lelef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

use long long nuts and bolts and use your motor stand as usual but with the bell housing

Supercharged 1302
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need some suggestions on bell housing Reply with quote

Place some wood blocks under the heat exchangers/j pipes to protect your precious sump.

I know the CB sump is stout enough to withstand install with floor jack so how is resting it on a pallet going to harm it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: