Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intercooler benefits to 1.6 td
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Intercooler benefits to 1.6 td Reply with quote

Cool. My situation may be different in that I turbo'd a NA block. No piston squirters. I have taken a few steps to mitigate - larger oil pump, external oil cooler. Still, I worry about it. Glad you have had so much success with your build. Keeps me optimistic!
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Intercooler benefits to 1.6 td Reply with quote

So it looks like my air box will fit in the passenger side D pillar without me having to relocate the starting battery. I will have to turn the battery 90 deg. but with mounting tab moved it should be ok. Then I'll run 2" pipe along the back of the engine bay toward the turbo. Air box is from a Honda Civic mid 80's, I think.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Intercooler benefits to 1.6 td Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
ndorian, my engine has never shown any indication of overheating in more than 85k miles since putting it in service in August, 2012.

Of interest, the mechanical coolant temp gauge pressure pipe come loose under the dash on a very long road trip on the first day. I drove it for the next 30 days and more than 12k miles without the cooling system pressurized ......... it never over-heated or lost any coolant.

I sort of doubt that your engine is running hot. I suggest that you proceed with a plan to install an Inter Cooler and prepare to monitor Boost, EGT and coolant temp with quality gauges!

Your engine will benefit from an Inter Cooler as others have suggested.

What is this pipe you speak of? On a Vanagon?

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Intercooler benefits to 1.6 td Reply with quote

dr. no wrote:
What is this pipe you speak of? On a Vanagon?

When I did the ALH TDI engine install, I added a number of gauges (EGT, two coolant temp gauges besides the OE, oil pressure, Turbo boost, system vacuum, volts and a mechanical gauge for the cooling system pressure.

By Mechanical Gauge, I mean it has no sending unit. It operates strictly off direct pressure. So, I extended a hard plastic pipe (7mm ID tube) from the coolant expansion tank (OE to the Jetta donor) to the front of the Van below the dash and up where it is connected to the Mechanical Gauge mounted in a pod. The gauge has a 0 to 15 psi range. The engine normally hangs around 9 PSI when fully warmed up.

As I said in the previous post, I noticed the gauge was on zero about half way thru the first day of a 30 day road trip. I watched coolant temp and the low coolant warning off and on all day. That evening in the campground, I determined everything would be just fine. So, I never attempted to do any repairs, etc. So, the balance of the trip the cooling system was not under pressure ....... engine ran great, good fuel economy, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Intercooler benefits to 1.6 td Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So this little beauty showed up today. Now I just have to wait on a 1 3/4" silicone elbow.
Special thanks to old man and ?Waldo? for knowing how to find it.

The actual part # is 068129637B.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: