Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DEF<--->HEAT lens
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: DEF<--->HEAT lens Reply with quote

Didn't bother looking for a new one. Made one on the CNC. I'll roll with it for now but probably find some amber acrylic in the future.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this lens supposed to be translucent? Mine has a light socket attached to the back but the lens doesn't let any light thru.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: DEF<--->HEAT lens Reply with quote

I don't know if they still do, but TheThingShop used to have a replacement for the rectangle lens. The text isn't a perfect replacement for the original, but it is pretty good. Your lens came out pretty good looking if you ask me.

I'm not sure if light actually comes through on the lens by the thermostat knob. Mine was painted over when I got the car. I was able to carefully remove the paint and the DEF was still in pretty good shape. I know the bulb still works on mine, but I haven't honestly paid close enough attention to see how much light comes through the lens.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: DEF<--->HEAT lens Reply with quote

https://www.thethingshop.com/LENS-DEFROST-LIGHT-FOR-HEATER/productinfo/113919234L/
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: DEF<--->HEAT lens Reply with quote

av8shunmeckaneck wrote:

Is this lens supposed to be translucent? Mine has a light socket attached to the back but the lens doesn't let any light thru.

According to the schematics, L16 (Heater Switch Lamp) illuminates only after turning on the parking and or headlights. Not to be confused with L21 (Heater Lever Illumination Lamp)
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: DEF<--->HEAT lens Reply with quote

Weird, my DEF lens also transmits no light.
I was working on the wiring in that area when I was surprised to see light coming out.
Not through the lens though.

Edit: Okay, I drove the Thing at night for the first time and the round DEF light glows nicely.
I imagine this is exactly how it was intended.
72 Baja
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: DEF<--->HEAT lens Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Weird, my DEF lens also transmits no light.
I was working on the wiring in that area when I was surprised to see light coming out.
Not through the lens though.

Edit: Okay, I drove the Thing at night for the first time and the round DEF light glows nicely.
I imagine this is exactly how it was intended.

That's what I figured. Mine doesn't look painted over or anything like that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: