Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about welding rear inner fender on late convertible
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Question about welding rear inner fender on late convertible Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was tackling some rust on a fender and thought I would ask about how people have gone about welding in the inner fender area on late cars when it was easy to get a good picture. This is a 1978 US convertible which I have owned since the early 1990s. I use it regularly but have tried to look after it, which has meant that it has only had very minor welding in this area to date. While it looks quite good in the photo it needs the usual repair in the rear quarter panel and around the point where the heat exchanger connects under the back seat. That looks the same as for other bugs, but what I'm curious about is how people have tackled the rust behind the double skinned part on which the bumper is mounted at the rear and the body is mounted at the front. I would be interested in the experiences of anyone who has tackled this job on a similar car.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about welding rear inner fender on late convertible Reply with quote

Marcas wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was tackling some rust on a fender and thought I would ask about how people have gone about welding in the inner fender area on late cars when it was easy to get a good picture. This is a 1978 US convertible which I have owned since the early 1990s. I use it regularly but have tried to look after it, which has meant that it has only had very minor welding in this area to date. While it looks quite good in the photo it needs the usual repair in the rear quarter panel and around the point where the heat exchanger connects under the back seat. That looks the same as for other bugs, but what I'm curious about is how people have tackled the rust behind the double skinned part on which the bumper is mounted at the rear and the body is mounted at the front. I would be interested in the experiences of anyone who has tackled this job on a similar car.

Same as the rest of it. Drill out the original spot welds and chisel the panel off. Then some tedious work with many hours spent to trimming and measuring. Followed with thinking, fabbing and then scratching of ones head. Then onto tacking, remeasuring, grinding a few tacks, repacking, remeasuring, repeat. Finally, after way to many hours, welding, followed by grinding, sanding, priming, sanding, painting and finally beer drinking!

Tons of work my friend!

This is on my current 54 project!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=220

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Marcas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about welding rear inner fender on late convertible Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Your photos are very helpful. Interesting to see that it is possible to drill the spot welds out. My thoughts were that the outer section might be worth saving if it were possible to remove it and then replace the section behind. I will study your photos in more detail. I've been reluctant to get stuck in to it as I managed to get it fairly well sealed up a few years ago and it hasn't deteriorated much since then. I know it is a big job so as I drive the car a lot I have been concentrating on areas that I can do more quickly or which I can work on while the car is still on the road. At the moment my main project is replacing the rotten bottom section of a spare convertible door.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about welding rear inner fender on late convertible Reply with quote

For spots with a tight curve I have used a dermal with a cut off wheel to cut out the rot.
Then I take painters tape and cover area removed over lapping the” hole”
I then take a blade and cut out the inside as a pattern to stick on a new piece of sheet metal, then tack in.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about welding rear inner fender on late convertible Reply with quote

I am tackling that in about a month or so. I already have the new panels for the lower 8 inches, inside and out.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: