Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob"
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wife has named her Daisy.

We've actually been skulking around this amazing site since May 1st when she first came into our lives , does that still make us noobs ? - of course it does , I wouldn't have it any other way - especially for all the expertise we've been reading from all of you - " we're not worthy ! "

Anyway , without trying , a lot of you have been a big help already ... thank you
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

You're in luck. A super and an auto. What a combination.
Aluminum and Cast Iron Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Front brake tee - thought I stripped it - took a deep breath - it was the nut ! Whew ! ... ran a tap into it and all the threads are clean and solid - closed the shop down for the night cause I don't want to press my luck , tomorrow is another (bug) day !
Shellen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

I also have a 72 Super Autostick. doesn't seem to be many around.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Congrats on your acquisition. I'm refreshing a '71 SB autostick this summer. Ask any questions you want. What are your plans?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba and to the SB Autostick club! Putting my restored '73 SB Autostick back on the road after a very long slumber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

She drove it for a week at the beginning of May on a temp plate and loved every minute of it til the plate expired
Since then I've tackled all shoes , all wheel cylinders and all brake lines - last one tonight is the long front to back line

Tight garage conditions - had to turn it around to work on the other side , so with no fluid in the brake system , she was at the wheel - pushed it out - pushed it back it ... and she smiled and beamed the whole time - so I know it was a good purchase despite the work left to do - and she's patient about it too !

Anyway just wanna get it on the road for some of the summer then back into the cocoon just before Canada's 2nd season starts (road salt season) to begin rust repairs
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Oh , and the bearings on all four corners too !

I procrastinated on this job until I found a great post by Dark Earth in HBB Off-Road doing a 69 Baja build - each pic had simple caption and it was a breeze on the first side I did - the second wheel was missing the circlip so that wheel has come to a standstill till the parts arrive
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

The main metal brake line is usually fine. The soft segments need replacing usually. Also, consider new fuel hoses from tank to carb.
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

I found this laying above the frame head
To me it doesn't look like a substantial part but I don't mind being wrong

Anyone tell me what it is ?
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

regordracis wrote:

Front brake tee - thought I stripped it - took a deep breath - it was the nut ! Whew ! ... ran a tap into it and all the threads are clean and solid - closed the shop down for the night cause I don't want to press my luck , tomorrow is another (bug) day !

This looks like a rear brake Tee to me. Do Supers have them in the front too?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Yes, Supers have them in the front. It is listed as the same part as the one in the rear.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Congrats on your acquisition. I'm refreshing a '71 SB autostick this summer. Ask any questions you want. What are your plans?

I just stripped down a 74 Super with a good semi auto. Let me know if you need anything.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

TonyPgh wrote:
Tom K. wrote:

I just stripped down a 74 Super with a good semi auto. Let me know if you need anything.

Well, since you asked. I need the line that connects the oil pump to the ATF reservoir - the one that features the u-turn. And, how much do want for the complete AS trans? Seems like AS owners like to keep a spare around. Where are you in PA?
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
TonyPgh wrote:
Tom K. wrote:

Well, since you asked. I need the line that connects the oil pump to the ATF reservoir - the one that features the u-turn. And, how much do want for the complete AS trans? Seems like AS owners like to keep a spare around. Where are you in PA?

I sent you a PM, I hope it sent.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Yes, Supers have them in the front. It is listed as the same part as the one in the rear.

Thanks Q-Dog. I learned a new thing today. 50 years of Bugs and I never got that deep into a Super Beetle to see the Tee.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Things came to a standstill once the summer hit - can't let that season slip past you in Canada without enjoying it otherwise it will suddenly be the season of road salt !

Determined not to start on any other issues until I solve the two I have going : rear brakes and structure

Everything - ( almost everything ) new on brake system except master and rear rubber lines (cause they looked fairly new) - well guess what ? No juice getting to the rears
Have to admit we forgot to put a block under the pedal when we were bleeding , pedal went to the floor ( and them some ) so diagnosis will start with pulling new main line to rears at the tee to see where the fluid ain't getting to and hopefully I didnt pooch the master

Lower firewall - nap hat - framehead pan ... the rear-most 6 inches is in bad shape so waiting for nap hat from Cip1 and firewall reinforcement brackets from Superbeetlesolutions before I start cuttin' and grindin' - already pulled the gas tank considering I'll also be a welding noob when the time comes

A big thanks to everyone who posts - an hour of reading thru the forums always brings me back from the discouraged dark side of "what did I get myself into ?" ....
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

... finally back at it ... tackling the elephant - what a chore it was , but with a little more tweaking , that new part will go in place easy - - then the other side - yikes
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

First bit of surgery ...

what I revealed ...

... and this kept coming out and never seemed to end ...

jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Beetle Autostick "noob" Reply with quote

Familiar bit of rot, there. Not a fun job!

Good luck! You're getting there. Smile

-JG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: