Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Critical eyes, your opnion needed
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 AUTOSTICK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

I recently picked up this 65 bug. When looking straight on to it, I noticed the 2 front fenders are different. I thought the D/S was perhaps wrong, but another knowledgeable Samba member informed me that the D/S was correct for 65.
I searched high and low to find a decent 64-66 P/S fender. I just got it home, and I'll be darned if the turn signal hole is in the same location as in the fender I'm replacing Sad ….so, now I'm thinking, perhaps the turn signal on the D/S is in the wrong spot Shocked
What do you experts have to say??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your thoughts and opnions needed.
Thanks
Rodger
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

The driver's side is correct for a '64 model up through VIN 5888184, the passenger side is correct for those after that. For the current turn signal assemblies you have installed, you want the style fender on the passenger side whereas the driver's side fender would use the "peanut" style turn signal assemblies. In short, your driver's side fender is incorrect for a '65.
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

Bummer. Lots of good fender identification information in this thread.
Beers!
Mike
Acab77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

Darn. Beautiful bug, I love the color.
'64.5 Ford Mustang
'67 Datsun Roadster
'72 Chevy LUV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

Always first go thru the "Beetle FAQ and 1958-1967 Beetle Info available on TheSamba" up at the top of the Forum in the Stickies. There are two "Fender ID" threads there.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

horn grill locations dont look the same side to side either.

I just took a look at my 65, grand dad bought it brand new. the lamp is mounted close to the body, much like as on your passenger side.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
74 AUTOSTICK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

Wow, that is great news Sad At least I haven't sent it to the paint shop yet Sad
Thanks
Rodger
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

That’s a good attitude Very Happy

Pic which one you like better and go with it. I personally like the earlier one better, but if you want a correct 65+ go with the passenger side style
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
horn grill locations dont look the same side to side either.

he's right
The driver side is a repop. They have the horn grills too high.
I had the same issue on Ol' Herb.

The aftermarket fenders also had no turn signal holes. That way they could be used for many years.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:

Looks like an episode of "Botched."
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

My 65 which was built in October 64 has the lights mounted like your passenger side fender.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

My '65 which was built in Nov. '64 has the signal lights mounted like your passenger side fender.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

Hey, is it just me or does your passenger front fender look a little dull compared to the rest of the car color wise? It could be the camera angle but maybe some one messed up the passengers and replaced it with the wrong fender? If so, I would check for further damage, and also have the paint shop color match the rest of the car and not that fender. But if all is good, then just ignore me Smile
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
74 AUTOSTICK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Critical eyes, your opnion needed Reply with quote

The passenger fender is a little duller Shocked , the car has had a couple of resprays, and a few fenders during it's life. I purchased car from original owners daughter. it had an engine fire, then sat outside for many years. I buffed it out (looks pretty darn good too) but it's so darn ugly, I can't stand it. Going in for a color change back to it's original color, Panama beige Shocked
Thanks to everyone for their expertise. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: