Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preventative Maintenance of a Super
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

Hello and good morning. Think I have a good topic for a day off from work and is not just good for myself, but others as well...

What are some good preventive maintenance tips that are not in books but from common since and seen and now are knowledgable.. Info that needs to be logged from experienced ones...

This is stroker info, trans info other than the usual, or inside the passenger compartment even like related to the wiring of these now older vehicles and related to things like fuse boxes, steering, horns, ect....

Yea, I will say this, my Super is a daily driver, but I do pay attention to her and do things at the best of my ability to for see or learn of, noises, ect. on that type of "VW Talking" to me stuff as well, lol... Sounds, yes.. Make it simply understood..

Ok, hope y'all are having a good day and maybe some info will come of this what people have seen other than that of changing the oil and having the correct oil, lol.. RB
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

Weld up the clutch forks? That sort of thing?

Get/do the absolute best rust-proofing you can. Do oil the door hinges, it actually helps.

Get a new solid-state Bosch voltage regulator. Ohter stuff will come to mind in the shower, no doubt.

And yes, snthetic oil in the gearbox, esp. if you drive in the cold.

Full-flow oil filtration never hurt, too.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

One just came to mind that had almost slipped me...

The connection of the Clutch Cable in the Tunnel from the pedal assembly..

I am not 100% what it is called, other than the Clutch Pedal Cable Arm Hook, but they can wear in half easily, if not all the way and no more clutch...

Seen this on two cars myself owning and one was even welded up nice like a factory "Hook', but the welding rod material ware the clutch cable end clasp quickly grabbed it simply wore super fast and welded area was barely effected..

Luckly this was on a Street Rail, so was obvious to the eye, and a quick fix.. RB
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
One just came to mind that had almost slipped me...

The connection of the Clutch Cable in the Tunnel from the pedal assembly..

I am not 100% what it is called, other than the Clutch Pedal Cable Arm Hook, but they can wear in half easily, if not all the way and no more clutch...

Seen this on two cars myself owning and one was even welded up nice like a factory "Hook', but the welding rod material ware the clutch cable end clasp quickly grabbed it simply wore super fast and welded area was barely effected..

Luckly this was on a Street Rail, so was obvious to the eye, and a quick fix.. RB

Good point. A few grease nipples on the pedal assemby would be nice, too, as well as on the handbrake cables, too, like the old'uns.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

As you said, the old'ones, lol...

See these cars hitting the 46 year old mark that mine is.....

I wonder what can fail or become faluty or what not being that old?

Other than that my car still slams, why I did the work to it and resurrection and revival into the German Look thing for me... Yep, lots of work but now days just rouble shooting.. By the way had to throw on a new altinater when I got it, so figure my voltage regulter is good... RB

Today's look, but yea not a trailer queen for sure... lol
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Coyotemutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

Here's one I took care of recently.

When the camshaft bearing thrust surface wears, it makes an unmistakable tapping sound right in the center of the case. It sounds like a single loose valve tapping away. You'll try to convince yourself it's the fuel pump pushrod or something.

It's one of those things you can take care of before it gets totally out of hand if you recognize what's happening.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

Do maintenance as detailed in the manual, and drive and enjoy it.

Don't overthink this !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

Hey nice car dude!!
I’m with Cusser. Do regular oil changes. Keep your plugs and air filters clean. Do regular valve adjustments.
Shift your baby in the sweet spot and drive it like it’s meant to be driven-don’t “lug” it. I recently read not to hold your clutch pedal down while at lights-wears your thrust out I believe.
Always something to learn here. Good thread man!
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

It's a hard to reach area, but extra welding on the clutch cable housing can be a good preventative, esp. if you have a stronger clutch.

Extra sound-deadening is nice, too.

I've tried to put body sealant on seams, etc.. (as I've repalced a lot of lower body panels, and heater channels), like a Golf or Tranporter (Vanagon), they rust a lot less.

Go to doghouse, vented decklid, venturi ring.

I have a magnetic little box to put on the dash (or double-sided tape on a super), where you can indicate mileage. Nice if you're doing mileage measures, or want to calculate how far you've travelled on a trip, or when to do maintenance. (poor man's trip counter).

I scratch the mileage on my oil filters, when I change them, to keep track.

Upgrade engine mounts with bus ones.

Upgrade front ball bearings (if you still have them) to roller bearings.

Go to silicon brake fluid, if you don't drive it often.

Upgrade to H4 halogen headlights, if you don't have them.

Are Hoover mods preventative? (controversy!), extra sump, too?

Gong to discs can be preventative, if it stops you from crashing.

I disassemble my calipers before mounting, to grease everything with ATE grease, put lots under the dust-covers, believing every volume of grease will keep ot that much water.

Upgrade acceleratocable, and go to stranded, if you have the solid wire. Get it? Put stranded, so you don't get stranded.

Replace your Securit windshield with laminated glass.

Put that "Modok washer" on oil pick-up, if you're not running the strainer.

Intermittant wipers are nice, if you can figure out how (I haven't so far...).

Not sure if this stuff falls into preventative or improvement, this is all just to prove that I've been showering.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

I also replace the 18W blinker bulbs with 21W, if I can. There are some nice, shiny chrome spray-paints now, good for anything behind light bulbs, help reflection. Not sure which is better, that or white, though.

Stainless hardwear, for non-solicited stuff (but not engine! Keep all that magnetic, for obvious reasons.

Heated rear window, if you can.

Just thinking about showering brought along those..
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

ENGINE OIL ENGINE OIL. Use high zddp content oil these engines use old school lifters and share the camshaft lobs with 2 cylinders twice the wear with high wearing lifters so high zddp very vert important, a lot of type 4s which have bullet proof bottom ends are regular rebuilt only cause of worn cams. Motul 4100 15w50 semi synthetic is quite well matched for aircooled engines l recommended against useing fully synthetic ester oils the esters break up really quickly in aircooled engines as engine oil is a major component in cooling an aircooled engine, like within 3 months of first getting hot regardless of mileage.

Check gearbox oil level every engine oil change.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Preventative Maintenance of a Super Reply with quote

Great information guys....

Thanks Roof for the compliment.. RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: