Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 Karmann Ghia restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
I wonder wat this auto occidental is????

it is a dealer badge from brugge

credit for the photo is from the user nidan2, thanks for the research Philippe!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

I finally accumulated all the OG parts for the tool kit & out of similar fabric from 59

Last edited by 61karmann on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Replaced a few remaining reproduction parts for originals, just scored some nice stuff

Real stamped st christopher badges
the tach fits right in!

French “CF civilian forces” US license plates & OG ivory pull cable knobs

61 62 only brake fluid reservoir!!

Last edited by 61karmann on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Damn Tony, that is looking SWEEEEEEEEET Bro.....Would love to see that in person one day!

Jeff <-- Big Time Jealous!!!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Really looking great😍
well done!

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Damn Tony, that is looking SWEEEEEEEEET Bro.....Would love to see that in person one day!

Jeff <-- Big Time Jealous!!!

Thanks so much Jeff!! I took it to Kelly park A few times, i think ill go each year now that its done done.

Last edited by 61karmann on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

TRS63 wrote:
Really looking great😍
well done!

Antoine

Thanks man, im excited to see how yours comes out. It looks really thoroughly done.
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Just need to paint a few remaining parts L240 green that i should have done when i painted the car.. along with the front and rear hood hinges/springs, battery strap. Id also like to paint the hood/engine compartments to match.

john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Beautiful Car! Can you tell us more about the seat covers and door panels?
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

john morris wrote:
Beautiful Car! Can you tell us more about the seat covers and door panels?

I was about 19 when i decided to disregard the correct year color and go with my favorite vw color and upholstery. I ordered all interior material from lenny@west coast classics, in all correct 61 ghia style with waffle texture white vinyl, but with cord brun early beetle fabric & beige vinyl seats. The fabric color and vinyl color are almost the same which i though was neat, subtle because the two tone paint is so apparent. The material he uses is of the same as what vw used, i really love the quality coming from him. I think that place is pretty well known.

The early beetle agave color matches so smooth to my eyes, kinda green kinda blue kinda grey, but is seen on beetles. As long as it were all vw colors though it was ok. If i were to do it again id go with the stock pampas green (like one year only) and cross looking fabric to match, but i just love the earlier color combos I couldn’t help it.

I should also have a dash pad, but id only want the ribbed vinyl style from a maker in Australia. My window leaks though slightly, so im afraid the water would collect underneath and rust, so i never put one on.
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Just got an og battery cover, soldered some ground straps, & painted my manifolds (ford grey VHT). So the color scheme will be exactly like the original engine colors. Got some og brown bakelite spark plug covers, restored br8 distributor & original coil/bracket as well. Oh and i got new black nylon oil lines to avoid having that shiny stainless look.
Ok im done with the engine! Just need to paint the compartment & springs to match body color.

Working out an order of rubber olive floor mats from luis, exciting..
Im looking for a footrest for a 61 if anyone has one.
Probably sell the 4 floor squareweave pieces where the mats will go.

Why is my accelerator pedal have so much play in it before it even puts pressure on pulling the cable?! Probably because when i took the car apart and cleaned up the pieces, I tried to not replace any original part, even washers and crap. I guess though ill need a rebuild kit so it feels tighter..

And maaaaaybe ill get a vintage speed muffler to have a stock appearance, but with larger tubing. If it sounds nicer and performs nicer than what i have then yes. But i just dont know
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Outstanding! Applause Applause Applause

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Love the battery cover!
Are there more where that came from?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Love the battery cover!

Thanks, its just a stock metal 12v cover i got from the classifieds, striped it and painted with VHT wheel black. I noticed the 12v covers fit perfectly on optima batteries.

Youll need to use one of these for the terminals. Nothing else gets close to the edges like it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fosgate-4-AWG-Po...3613871177
Or else the metal cover will conduct. Any other end chews into the metal covers side. These terminal ends uniquely seem to get really close on one end.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

61karmann wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Love the battery cover!

Thanks, its just a stock metal 12v cover i got from the classifieds, striped it and painted with VHT wheel black. I noticed the 12v covers fit perfectly on optima batteries.

Youll need to use one of these for the terminals. Nothing else gets close to the edges like it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fosgate-4-AWG-Po...3613871177
Or else the metal cover will conduct. Any other end chews into the metal covers side. These terminal ends uniquely seem to get really close on one end.

Thanks for the pointers. I don’t seem to see any 12v covers at the moment but will keep looking.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Day i got the car 1997ish. I had to go to school when my dad picked it up. i thought the car was perfect, so he played a joke on me and said it was in such bad shape he didnt pick it up. I was very happy to see it.. even though i look pretty upset.

61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Spent days cleaning each crevice of these dirty & painted waffle padded visors. Ended up looking pretty nice..

thanks Ray!

Also just got a ribbed dash pad from KG of Australia and it looks flippin awesome & fits perfectly. Just need to put the speaker grill in and grab handle,, & find some defrost vent covers & that retaining strip.....

Found the correct year but rusty footrest i sandblasted and coated with por15,
.. with the new set of olive mats from Luis, and some extra paint for the ebrake and shifter boot, the interior is almost there!

I read in 61 vw painted their ebrakes and shifters corresponding colors to match the body color. This lasted only a few years. The rubber boots were grey for colored instrument handles I believe , so i found a grey set if the olive paint doesnt look quite right, either way ill be covered.
Also i got an original paint Nepal green ebrake handle to match the paint to paint the shifter. Correct for pampas and beryl green ghias and beetles 61&62 only(longer for beetles), so at least correct to my year. Although not correct for my color, if ghias WERE agave In 61, theyd have green interior happenings.

Last edited by 61karmann on Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

61karmann wrote:
Spent days cleaning each crevice of these dirty & painted waffle padded visors. Ended up looking pretty nice..

Wow, nice job. Looks great. Spending hours to clean each and every little dimple is something I would do but friends and family just don't understand and ask me why I spend so much time doing things like this! Maybe someday they'll get it.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Yes, Marcdeb, but is very rewarding also haha. This waffle texture is really hard to clean a dirt smear. I get why sometime in 61 I believe they changed to smooth vinyl, i read somewhere it was for the same reason it was hard to clean.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Karmann Ghia restoration Reply with quote

Your slip-in dash cover installation looks great!

I have the same pad and noticed that it is going to need some help getting under the windshield seal to fully seat. Do you have a similar problem?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: