Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Wow that's great news... I drove mine to the store to get food .man it felt good to be back in a VW van again...I M sure U will n be there soon
.. Just curious about how much did the rebuild kit cost? I really like things stock..It always seems to be better..How 's the 74 coming along? Bill in Puerto Rico for now..
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Wow that's great news... I drove mine to the store to get food .man it felt good to be back in a VW van again...I M sure U will n be there soon
.. Just curious about how much did the rebuild kit cost? I really like things stock..It always seems to be better..How 's the 74 coming along? Bill in Puerto Rico for now..

The valve body rebuild kit was about $200. I bought it from a vendor on ebay. Here's a link to their website: www.WolfsburgTuning.com

As for the '74, she's waiting patiently in the wings. I want to be able to get all of these projects out of the way, so that I have nothing distracting me when it comes time to put her back together. I really want to give her my undivided attention.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

I have a 74 in my yard in VT.lots of memory s in that van ... I can't bear to part with it.The snow crushed the roof in front.
Good luck and thanks for the info and good luck w your Toyota

It's my parts van for Bays... I also have s 70 Hi roof , factory air..
.too bad vw doesn't import the new Californian.
Bunch of panies..
Bill still stuck in PR waiting for the crisis to mellow a bit more...
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Well...good news! I got the pan gasket and installed the manual shift linkage. When I dropped the pan this time, there was a bunch of additional fluid in there. I can only assume that it was caused by the way I had the vehicle jacked up. I only mention this because I ended up needing far more than the recommended 3.8L of ATF.

Anyhow, I put the fluid in and ran through the gears. The first go round, she inched forward. I put her in reverse and she backed up. I repeated that a couple of times, until finally she would no longer move. As things warmed up, the fluid level dropped. I added some more and started to monitor the transmission temp. Once I achieved the required temp, I kept adding more fluid, until the reading was where it needed to be. I ended up using an additional 1.3L of fluid. Satisfied with the readings, I asked my neighbor to follow me, just in case I had a repeat of the other day. The engine and transmission were good and warm, so we went around the block a few times. Feeling more confident, we ventured out on the main roads, where I could get her up to speed and run through the gears. I'm happy to report that things went well! She shifted fairly well and I was capable of getting up to about 60 mph. I drove around for a good 15-20 minutes; far longer than I was capable of doing before. I was thrilled to say the least. It felt good to have a victory under my belt. It feels good when you get things right. Of minor concern were some of the temps I was seeing at the transmission...particularly when she was idling in the drive. The trans temp managed to get up to 120 degrees celcius (240F). Once I got her out on the road and up to speed, I noticed that she was back down to 106/107ish degrees celcius(220F). Ambient temperature was in the 70's. Is this I should be worried about? Do I need to consider an external cooler? Keep in mind, that temps here can reach well into the triple digits with heat index. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I documented my doings, mostly so I could remember how and where things went. This was also done because there was very little out there specific to the 098 transmission. Maybe others might need the information somewhere down the line.

Here's what the valve body tear down and rebuild looked like.

I took a deep breath and dived in. I started on the side with the 5 solenoids:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Removed the retaining plate:

All of the solenoids came out fairly easily. You have to move slowly and deliberately, so that you take note of exactly how things come out. I removed one valve and spring at a time. I stress this as it is imperative that you take note of how the middle valve comes out. There is a "spacer" for a lack of technical terminology. If one had dumped all the valves out at one time, it would be easy to not know how and where things went. Taking pictures helped me to keep valve and spring orientations correct. The valve on the right requires removal of the pin, which requires taking the spacer plates off. I say this, because the next picture is sort of out of order:

So, as I just mentioned, before I took the spacer plates off, I went around the entire exterior of the valve body and removed anything that didn't require access from underneath the spacer plates:

This next one I made video of for myself, just so I could have notes of how much tension was on the valve. That is another thing that will come up again later, that is to say that you have to take note of the number of rotations/threads and the amount of tension on the valves. I'm sure there must be a write-up somewhere that gives the technical torque requirements, however, I couldn't find them. I had to do it by sight and feel:

Once those were all out, it was time to remove the spacer plates. Not going to lie, this was where I started to get really nervous! But, once again, if you remain calm, stay focused and take your time, there's really nothing to it. Slow and steady:

There are three check balls on this side, two of which have little metal spacers sitting atop of them. I used a magnet to retrieve them:

Little metal sleeve, notice the check ball below:

Same thing on this one:

The two balls that go under the spacers are lager than the other. Once everything was out, I put them all together, so I knew exactly where they went after they were cleaned up:

With that behind us, it was time to start removing the valves that were held in place with pins:

I continued my way all the way around the valve body, removing anything I could access from this side. Once that was finished, it was time to remove the other side:

I must stress here, that I did not use the screw gun to break the torque, by pulling the trigger. I would be to afraid to strip threads out of the valve body that way, as this thing has seen untold numbers of heat cycles etc. over the past 25-26 years. Rather, I used it like a screwdriver and turned the entire body of the screwgun in order to break the torque. Just thought I would mention that. It may be an unfounded fear, but why tempt fate?

Big ol' slimy, gooey mess! Yuck! Check out all that nasty sludge between the plates:

Anyhow, when you separate these plates, you have to be really careful!!! There is a teeny, tiny spring in there that works in conjunction with a check ball. You don't want to lose the spring, or the ball!!!

This thing is TINY...did I mention that?

This little fella sits atop the spring, and is sandwiched between the plates:

I set them aside and kept them separate from everything else, before the cleaning began in the ultrasonic, just like the other ones mentioned above.

I saved this little bugger for last:

I apologize, I thought I had another picture of the valve above, but I must have inadvertently deleted it. Anyhow, I used nail polish to mark the valve body and the little plastic part at the 12 o'clock mark, so that I could count the number of turns required to remove the valve. If you have come this far, you've probably realized that the plastic retainer has arms that are kept in place in the valve body, by the ratcheting action. As soon as you touch the plastic arms, they are going to snap off. I knew this in advance and searched around to find one. I managed to get a hold of the guys and gals over at German Transaxle. I cannot recommend them highly enough!!! I spoke with Jesse the tech, as well as the owner, whose name eludes me at the moment...my apologies. They were super gracious with their time and knowledge! If you need stuff for your transmission, I wouldn't hesitate to call again! We struck a deal and they shipped me the part I needed. You'll notice that mine required 10.25 turns to come out. That is precisely the same number of turns I used on the way back in.

Once I had everything apart, I placed them on a towel, in exactly the orientation in which I had removed them. At that point each part was cleaned in the Ultrasonic cleaner.

Before and after cleaning:

The valve body and the plates all went in the Ultrasonic too. The only other thing I must mention is a set of Bench Buddy Brushes. I highly recommend them. After you've cleaned the valve body, you run the brushes in and out, helping to deburr the bores as well as polish them because of any scoring that might have been left behind by the sediment that's been floating around in there. These things are a must. The results were stellar! Well worth the money!

Rebuilding the valve body was simply the reverse of the disassembly. I didn't bother with pictures as it was fairly intuitive and it went really quickly!!! That was nice! I would like to mention that after speaking with the fellas over at German Transaxle, I decided to use fresh ATF, rather than WD40. I have seen videos on the internet that show people using it, but it seemed rather counter intuitive as ATF is sure to be coursing through her veins.

I hope this proves useful to someone down the road. I enjoyed the project and must confess that it was really rewarding. I've never done any transmission work before. This was really eye opening. Cool
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Nicely done! Eye-opening for me also, amazing the engineering and precision tooling required for an autotrans.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Wow ... I'm impressed.Good job...But I don't think I have the time or patience to do it myself... I'm a parts changer my self... Bill

Last edited by volkybus on Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Broseph Stalin wrote:
Nicely done! Eye-opening for me also, amazing the engineering and precision tooling required for an autotrans.

Thanks very much!

When you start looking at all the things that are going on in the valve body, it is all very logical and well thought out. All those different pathways that are being told at specific times, when to send fluid to the clutches, asking the gears to engage. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm always amazed by the people that figured out how to make it all happen!!!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Wow ... I'm impressed.Good job...But I don't think I have the time or patience to do it myself... I'm a parts dealer my self... Bill

Thanks Bill! Not nearly as bad as you think, once you get started.

Hope you're keeping well!
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Thanks made in 74 spelled wrong...Well everything is opening out but our beaches are all still closed... Hopefully soon ...we r all well but It itching to get back to states...My EV lost its clutch pressure again...a auto transmission really is calling me...Well I like you hate to Change so I'm going to get a Orginal slave cylinder and if that doesn't work I may have to go back to the auto...They want about $2,,000 to do it so plus the change back including finding both ECU'S I THINK I have the engine brain but I don't know where to get the tranny one.. Anyone have one??? Cheap....Van is a 93 built in Nov/92 and tranny is from EV 10/92.
Just asking for now as I'm heading North soon,hopefully
My tranny in the parts van was Workin fine till the engine blew at 144 k so I'd like to check it out first... Good luck & be safe everyone Bill in Puerto Rico till the crisis is over
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

This is great! Thanks for taking the time to post clear and organized photos. Way to go on digging into this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

VAEV1993 wrote:
This is great! Thanks for taking the time to post clear and organized photos. Way to go on digging into this!

It was fun. A little nerve-wracking at times. Best part was knowing that it worked when everything was put back together. I hope it provides many years of service! Pray Pray Pray
trbowgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Thanks made in 74 spelled wrong...Well everything is opening out but our beaches are all still closed... Hopefully soon ...we r all well but It itching to get back to states...My EV lost its clutch pressure again...a auto transmission really is calling me...Well I like you hate to Change so I'm going to get a Orginal slave cylinder and if that doesn't work I may have to go back to the auto...They want about $2,,000 to do it so plus the change back including finding both ECU'S I THINK I have the engine brain but I don't know where to get the tranny one.. Anyone have one??? Cheap....Van is a 93 built in Nov/92 and tranny is from EV 10/92.
Just asking for now as I'm heading North soon,hopefully
My tranny in the parts van was Workin fine till the engine blew at 144 k so I'd like to check it out first... Good luck & be safe everyone Bill in Puerto Rico till the crisis is over

Volkybus, how is the slave and master cylinder issue going? I changed both on our 95 a couple weeks ago with Rock Auto parts and so far so good. Just curious what symptoms you are having and if you did a gravity bleed on the slave cylinder?

74 Maiden, I enjoyed reading your post, how is the van running?
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Well it pumps up a small amount of pressure but not enough to complete my disengage the clutch...I have to pump several times to get parshal press the it not enough to shift into gear... I have had this issue before... I had to rebuild it both slave & master. Cylinders which I bought from rock auto...purel junk.Blead it nothing.I hope you have better luck..I plan to buy a Orginal one..+ transmission jumps out of 3rd & 5th so maybe a linkage issue...Oh well summer is upon us and I go north and drive my real VW bus ,& drag my thing behind
.Do some campin n sailing, the best KB uhlove those vw vans especially the real ones.Who needs heat or AC or power steering anyway..Good luck..I'm headed home, to VT maybe tomorrow so I won't be on this forum only the Bay n Thing forum.. Bill
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Hopefully they will have some show to go to soon...They just cx Jax show + Terriville Ct. Anything going on out in the Mid west?? I'm suffering show withdrawal...We had three here in Puerto Rico till the crisis hit then...well u know
Luckily I camped out in my Eurovan twice.here.Clutch was fine then..
. Good luck to all Bill
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

trbowgn wrote:
74 Maiden, I enjoyed reading your post, how is the van running?

Thank you! I'm glad to hear it. I hope it will help others somewhere down the road.

I've only had her out on the road a few times, but she seems to be running quite nicely! I spoke with my buddy that I bought her from the other day, and I told him that I'd managed to get her out and was able to stretch her legs a bit. He seemed impressed/pleased to hear that I managed to get her up to 60+ mph. Clearly he wasn't having any luck doing so, before he got rid of her.

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I've got a full plate at the moment. Trying to clear as much of it as I can, before I'm really going to be able to put a whole lot of time into this girl. I've just about wrapped up my restoration on my Essen trailer, and hope to soon be jumping into the engine rebuild on the '74 westy. Once that is all behind me, I'll try to focus on the EVC. I've got a leak that I'd like to get sorted out. I ordered the GoWesty luggage rack kit sometime last week. Due to the pandemic, their shipping schedule is a little backed up, so it may be a while before that arrives.

That's if for now, I'll be sure to post updates if anything fun/significant arises.

Later
a.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've done anything with the Van. I'm trying really hard to stay on task, and only begin a new project, once I've wrapped up the one in front of it. However, as VW owners, we all know that can be extremely difficult to do, especially when you're waiting on parts, machine work etc. That's exactly where I found myself in the build process, on my '74 westy. So I figured I would attempt to change out the hardware on the luggage rack, as I've had some leakage issues, ever since I took ownership.

We have a tropical storm (Isias) heading our way, and eventually up the eastern seaboard. I had the afternoon free yesterday, so I decided to spend a couple of hours trying to knock this project out, in the hopes of slowing some of the leaks. I used Go Westy's stainless steel kit, that included the luggage wrack seal. Here's what I found:

Poptop up and open, to let the camper air out a bit:

Sprayed a little PB Blaster on the bolts and took the top off:

Absolutely filthy under there!!! Unfortunately, I had already swept away, most of the debris that had been trapped under the top. Here's a little of what I found:

I was not surprised, but definitely a little bummed out at what I found on the other side:

You'll have to forgive me. It was extremely hot here...well in to the triple digits with the heat index. I was trying to move relatively quickly and neglected to take any photos of the work done to dry in the holes. As I stated earlier, I had suspicions that I might find rust. I went into this with the idea that the repairs would be somewhat temporary. They are only meant to help impede any additional water incursions. I started by wire brushing all loose rust. Put a little Ospho on that, then installed a butyl rubber membrane over the area, before installing the new hardware.

Removed all the old hardware:

Yuck!!!

Removed the old seal:

Don't mind the sidewalk art...my kids and the neighborhood kids were having a little fun. Laughing

Installed the new seal. Go Westy gives you a little extra (maybe six inches) material, which you'll have to cut to fit:

Put some anti sieze on the bolt threads. The kit came with some included, however, I have had really good results with stuff, so I continue to use it:

Bolt it all back together:

Pretty happy with the way things turned out. As I eluded to earlier, I know this isn't the ideal way to make the reapair, but I figured keeping as much moisture out as possible would at least buy me some time untily I can properly attend to the repairs. I had a feeling that there were going to be issues. I could kinda tell just from looking at the windshield lip that there were going to be hidden issues lurking beneath. I have experience with that area, among others. as I replaced all the metal on the '74 westy, during that restoration. I will likely do something similar to the windshield in order to help stimy the ingress of water.

The reward after performing the abovementioned task was to take another quick trip around the neighborhood. Always fun!!! I love driving VW campers around, T2 or T4 there's just nothing like it. Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Hello everyone!!!

Been fiddling around with little things here and there. Because of some of the leaks, there was moisture inside the van. I bought a small dehumidifier in order to remove as much of it as possible. I bought a 12ga. 3 wire, 50ft. extension cord and plugged it in to the side of the van. Plugged the dehumidifier into the socket above the fridge and voila, we were off and running. Interestingly enough, I decided to see if the fridge would work off shore power. I pushed the button and walked inside for a drink. When I came out to check on things a couple hours later, sure enough, the fridge was actually cooling. Yes!!! Small victory, but a victory nonetheless. I'm sure that at some point I'll have to pull things apart and give all the connections a good cleaning, but for now, I'm pretty pumped, knowing that there's hope!

I have a few questions, and would love some advice. I figured I would ask before I started diving into things, in the hopes that the collective would be able to answer my questions based upon experience. So here we go:

This little bugger keeps tripping from time to time:

Where should I start? What should I be looking for? Do replacement parts exist?

Also, the other day, I came out to find a little puddle starting under the van:

I crawled under there and followed the wetness to this thing:

It would seem that this thing is leaking from the bolt. I think I remeber reading somewhere that somone had a leak. Another member mentioned a "crack pipe" Is that what I'm looking at? Any do's and don'ts I should be aware of? Best plan of attack?

I look forward to hearing what people think.

a.
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

My water outlet was leaking too. Underneath all that is just an o-ring that seals to the head.

There is also an o-ring for each of the two sensors that plug into the flange.

I replaced the whole flange (apparently they are known to crack eventually), all three o-rings, and the two bolts which like yours were badly corroded. Doesn't cost that much. The sensors are the expensive bits.

Only caveat is mine isn't running yet, so I don't know if I fixed the leak.

Hopefully it's not leaking from the bolt itself!
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Yeah I'd pull that, clean the surface, replace all the o-rings and gaskets for it, and replace the plastic if it's cracked. They get old and heat cycle a lot so they do crack/chip sometimes.

The "crack pipe" is a VR6 specific thing. It's basically just a plastic water tube that runs from the passenger side to the driver side and then into the VR6-version of the coolant housing you have there.
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper - Introduction Reply with quote

Mine newly sealed flange is all put back together, but... still leaking.

The coolant seems to be coming from the white cords embedded in the upper radiator hose that are exposed past the clamp. So I guess the hose is leaking internally somewhere.

Everything is pretty well pressurized though. So maybe this is my last leak.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: