Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan: Installing curtain snaps into trim?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
straubns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Eurovan: Installing curtain snaps into trim? Reply with quote

We just got a '97 Eurovan, which came with the front curtain. The curtain itself has snaps (the socket/female side), but the van does not have the stud/male snaps on the trim in order to hang the curtain. I've bought the correct size male snaps with a screw on the back to install...but what is the best way to screw them in? Drill a pilot hole? Take off the trim panel?

(Side note: the velcro dots screwed into Eurovan trim do not line up with curtain snaps, so unfortunately, I cannot just use those holes).
Ar_sims
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would drill an 1/8th inch hole then pull the panel and rivet a male socket with a washer backing it.

Last edited by Ar_sims on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ar_sims wrote:
Personally I would drill and 1/8th in hole then pull the panel and rivet a male socket with a washer backing it.

This would be durable and the washer would protect from the snap coming loose when the curtain is removed but I would add that removal of the plastic trim is risky.
The plastic is known to become brittle with age and the securing hardware has a habit of breaking when removed. Be especially careful with the trim around the front seatbelts, it requires a little extra care when removing and reinstalling due to the adjustable belt guide that is attached.

The trim is one of the biggest failings of the Eurovan in comparison with the Vanagon.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd skip the snaps. I think they are responsible for more broken trim than anything else. The take a lot of force to snap and even more to get them off (at least on a EV Westy)

I'm considering using the strongest magnet I can find that is the same size as the snaps. Just using a super strong adhesive to attach them. Consider it a "Mag-safe" connector to protect your curtains and trim. The female end that is already on the curtain should stick to the magnet fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 on the magnet suggestion -- especially for retrofitting a rear screen in place if your old curtain tracks fail.

also, the front window works great without an actual curtain and instead use a standard auto-store type front windshield sun screen. Goes up in just about the same amount of time and your sun visors and rearview do all the work holding it up.

We use the insulated window kit from GoWesty in our vans and the front three windows hold in place without any help whatsoever, but I'm sure any windsheld screen will work. http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24150&category_id=397&category_parent_id=

FWIW, I have a full camper and even though that kit is made for weekenders you can still use the majority of the panels (front three, rear panel and one of the side panels works on your slider. The leftovers pieces you can either sell or use as double-insulation in the poptop (I've repurposed them for my baywindow)
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com

Last edited by DenverB on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, the quality of the plastic trim in the front of these vans is complete crap. You'll 100% crack it or break it trying to drill in and use pop-rivet style snaps eventually. The a-pillar plastic is especially brittle and fickle.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
mesiddall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I have a 2002 EV Camper (pop-top) and looking for advice on curtains. I have the slide-style curtain rails - but no curtains. Looked extensively online/forums/overseas etc., but cannot find any (and unsure what the specific part# is )
So I'm thinking of having some made. Does anyone know where I might find the 'sizes' or even a 'pattern' for the set?
Thanks!
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan: Installing curtain snaps into trim? Reply with quote

I am in the slow process of replacing the curtains with reflectix. The foil wrapped bubble wrap stuff.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R-21-200-sq-ft-...3f13c2fd05

My sliding door curtain gave out. So I bought a roll of this stuff and cut out a "curtain". I tried to glue magnets to the stuff, but the flex keep popping them off. I used metal duct tape to tape a couple of magnets on. Works great. Really helps insulate. I keep the sheet of this stuff up in the bunk.

As curtains die I will use this stuff to replace. The rear curtain guide just broke. I am planning on making a new one. Want to store it on the side so that the contents of the 2 side cubbies are hidden. Not that it matters but I think it jsut looks cleaner.

Would like to make some front curtains to replace the factory style. You will gain alot of space, both visually and dash storage if the curtain was up against the glass rather than hanging down. Will have do alot to help insulate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: