Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RGB disk brake conversion ?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: RGB disk brake conversion ? Reply with quote

has anyone converted their RGB's to disk brakes? if so , love to see some pics and info. esp if its a large nut RGB as i figure theres less interchangeable parts for them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: RGB disk brake conversion ? Reply with quote

I had thought about this myself for my split bus. The best solution I could think of was to use a bay window rear hub, with a spacers made from another set of hubs to get the correct bearing preload. Basing the total width off a drum's splined area. And then use a set of Mercedes 5X112 rotors, modifying them or the hubs to fit, And then all you'd have to do is find calipers that would work and make some brackets.

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: RGB disk brake conversion ? Reply with quote

that's a pretty good idea to use a hub. i suppose the stock drum could even be machined down to a hub and then find a rotor to use. the roundy round parts guys have bolt on rotors and brake hats
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: