Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIRD84WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

Here is mine take on the Vanagon stripes. Had it done at at 3M tint shop, they removed the original stripes and I picked colors that closely matched the size and location as the original. Biggest difference is the wet sanding removal of the oxidation that makes the original paint pop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:
There is a business on Etsy called "Vanagon Dwellers" that does custom stripes, etc,

They did my high top stripes. Nice folks.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

I'll second the local mom & pop sign shop. I took some photos of our Westy before the original stripes were removed by our painter to my local guy. He recreated them in vinyl along with a few variations of the original for us to also consider. He printed them and did an onsite install in our garage for $150. He also installed new Westfalia decals on the back and sides of our top for us while he was there.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

I did the very simple mid-body white stripe on my van. My only tip is that it's one of those jobs where having 2 people makes the task 10x easier.
Live2explore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

Whys everyone creeping on my vanagon? Lol

jimf909 wrote:
I grabbed the photo below from the Vanagon Owner's Group fb site. I love the stripes and they're the first that inspire me to add stripes to my van (although multi-colored stripes in the Vanagons belt line are interesting too).

My van is flash silver and I'm thinking of three shades of grey, or possibly three tints/shades of a color for some pop.

Questions:
- Where would I go to have such stripes made and installed? A sign maker with a vinyl cutter? Some other type of shop?
- Does anyone here have experience doing this or working with a pro? Do you have any suggestions?
- Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop in Seattle?
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Live2explore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

I cant figure out how to post pics, but y’all can follow my vanagon @ vanagonvw on instagram
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
For a coupla years I've wanted to do a continuous stripe in the "belt" area around the Van, repeating the Chacoan triangular design in the middle of this pottery sherd:

Dark brown on tan

Dan

Ordered mine from VanagonDwellers on Etsy a coupla days ago. Ethan sent me a proof yesterday:

Some kind of optical illusion goin' on there. Lookin' forward to it.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

^^^ Cool... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

Just put my Vanagon Dwellers stripes on today. Stockies, avert your eyes. I can't afford a proper paint job and still have rust/body repair to do anyway, so this was a cheap way to spice things up. The stripes went on easily - hopefully they stay on too. They provided more than enough material, all in long strips, so you do the cutting as you choose. I'm trying out the front stripe - not official but kinda like it so far.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackfilmguild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

Did you ever find automotive decal stripes? I am getting my van painted soon and looking to get some exactly like the ones here.
blackfilmguild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
Just put my Vanagon Dwellers stripes on today. Stockies, avert your eyes. I can't afford a proper paint job and still have rust/body repair to do anyway, so this was a cheap way to spice things up. The stripes went on easily - hopefully they stay on too. They provided more than enough material, all in long strips, so you do the cutting as you choose. I'm trying out the front stripe - not official but kinda like it so far.

[Pix]

Looks like they are taking a pause on the business.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

That's a bummer. I guess I have had mine for 3 plus years now and they have held up great. No peeling or noticeable fading. Hope you can find some elsewhere. Seems like something a graphic design person could do easily.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Stripes - how-to tips, tricks and shop recommendations Reply with quote

With all the other rococo stuff they make for our rigs, you'd think one of the vendors would be selling pin stripes. Kind of a no-brainer given all the obvious interest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: