Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building new cabinet doors?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

I’m missing the 2 doors for the rear cabinets in my SO34 and I’d like to build new ones.

I have the material (an old Bay table looks like it’ll be a good donor).

I’m pretty sure I can get the T-molding groove cut with either a router bit or super thin saw blade, but I’m unsure how to cut the pockets for the hinges.

For anyone who has done this, any pointers? And anyone got a couple of sets of the door portion of the hinges they can pass along?

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

And follow on - does someone have a door they can trace for me to use as a pattern? Or just a pattern lying around already? Happy to pay postage to get it to Oregon...

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

1) The hinges for SO-42s, or even early bays, are the same, apart from color. IIRC. The later ones are grey, the SO-34 ones were brass plated, though the plating tends to have worn off.

2) Yes the hatch pattern table is the same pattern Getalit.
Use a hair dryer to stretch the molding in the door open back into shape. Sometimes a dab of Elmers glue will help hold it into the groove.

3) Is that a Revere Ware kettle?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
1) The hinges for SO-42s, or even early bays, are the same, apart from color. IIRC. The later ones are grey, the SO-34 ones were brass plated, though the plating tends to have worn off.

Yup... Mine are "patina'd" and most of the brass is gone. At some point I may take them all in to be replated, so I'm not too concerned about where the replacements come from. Last year at the Cascade Kombi show, I met someone who was parting out multiple late-model kombis and said they had a big stash of hinges, but they've gone radio silent since then... Crying or Very sad

Clara wrote:

2) Yes the hatch pattern table is the same pattern Getalit.
Use a hair dryer to stretch the molding in the door open back into shape. Sometimes a dab of Elmers glue will help hold it into the groove.

At the same show last year I picked up a table to use to make the doors... the problem now is a pattern and a way to cut the slots for the door side of the hinges. Well, that and not having the door side of the hinges... but one problem at a time.. Smile

Heat gun has done a great job of getting the T and K trims back into their proper places. Boiling it was more of a headache then a help.... pain to get it to line back up and the K trim in the doors just twisted all to hell... I was fortunate and my trim seems to be staying in without any additional adhesive.. for now...

Clara wrote:

3) Is that a Revere Ware kettle?

<edit> Nope... I thought it was, but it's obviously been a while since I looked at ti... West Bend, but similar construction to RW </edit> I need to see if I can find the "lid" portion as mine is broken in half... otherwise it's pretty solid. I will clean up nicely if I can get the replacement part.

I don't suppose you've got some unused hinges lying around? Or maybe a busted up bumper for the rolling cabinet (or rear seat) that I can muck around with? Want to try a long glycerine soak to see if I can bring them back to life, but I'm not brave enough to try it on serviceable parts. Shocked
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

I have a slot cutting router bit set. Find someone with a subhatch, send them a PM and ask them if they will make and mail you a paper template of their doors with everything marked. Then cut the doors rectangular on the TS, cut the corners on the BS, and sand to the edge on my disc sander. Cut the T-molding slot on my router table and you should be in business.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

I don't suppose you've got some unused hinges lying around? Or maybe a busted up bumper for the rolling cabinet (or rear seat) that I can muck around with? Want to try a long glycerine soak to see if I can bring them back to life, but I'm not brave enough to try it on serviceable parts. Shocked

I may have some grey hinges.

Doubt I have the bits for the rolling cabinet. Want to make sure my SO-34 has the parts before letting any go.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
I have a slot cutting router bit set. Find someone with a subhatch, send them a PM and ask them if they will make and mail you a paper template of their doors with everything marked. Then cut the doors rectangular on the TS, cut the corners on the BS, and sand to the edge on my disc sander. Cut the T-molding slot on my router table and you should be in business.

Almost... up to that point, it's all pretty simple...

The "gotcha" is the additional slot that needs to be cut for the door side of the hinge. It looks like it goes into the door about 3/4". I wasn't paying super close attention when I had the closet door apart because I was more concerned about getting the T-trim back in. But it seems like it's about 1/16" wide and 3/4" deep (probably 1/2" deeper than the T-trim groove?) to accommodate the hinge. then the side of the door needs to be drilled for the 2 retaining screws which I'll have to figure out how to transfer precisely from the hinge to the door..
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I may have some grey hinges.

Doubt I have the bits for the rolling cabinet. Want to make sure my SO-34 has the parts before letting any go.

If you've got a left/right set for the door side, I'd love to take them off your hands...

For the rubber bits, I'm not looking for anything you'd want to put back into yours... I'm only interested in chunks and bits and pieces that I won't feel any guilt in destroying if things go sideways...

Thanks!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
I’m missing the 2 doors for the rear cabinets in my SO34 and I’d like to build new ones.

I have the material (an old Bay table looks like it’ll be a good donor).

I’m pretty sure I can get the T-molding groove cut with either a router bit or super thin saw blade, but I’m unsure how to cut the pockets for the hinges.

For anyone who has done this, any pointers? And anyone got a couple of sets of the door portion of the hinges they can pass along?

Thanks!

GOOD IDEA - using the Bay LINEN Formica table to make your SO34 doors - it'll look sweet.

We used the underside of a Bay table , with the white edge, still attached to make a top on our cut-down closet - SO42 interior in our 1962 SO33 - who wants to look for and use (expensive) original SO33 interior, when SO 42 stuff is so available? Not cheap-ass, me, that's for sure.

As you can tell, i'm no stickler for originality and would use the white table edge, with the part that fits in the groove, cut-off and use little nails to hold it on - most would be more anal than me, i'm sure and figure something better out.

Will be interesting to see, what you do to solve the problem.

… this waz our 1961 SO34, with flip seat - used it for parts - bought it in 1995 for $150 complete and sold mosta' the interior for $1700, + $500 for the flip-seat - but used the trans axle, wire harness, doors, sub-hatch and a few other things on the SO33 - been having fun - seems, everyone wants this thing , even with SO 42 interior left the garnet red paint in a nice patina state...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

… oh, I may have some gray, Bay hinges too - just paint 'em to look more original... z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Building new cabinet doors? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

GOOD IDEA - using the Bay LINEN Formica table to make your SO34 doors - it'll look sweet.

Yup... they're exact matches... one of these is justs dirtier than the other.. I don't even remember which is which in this shot. Very Happy

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

As you can tell, i'm no stickler for originality and would use the white table edge, with the part that fits in the groove, cut-off and use little nails to hold it on - most would be more anal than me, i'm sure and figure something better out.

Will be interesting to see, what you do to solve the problem.

There's only nails in some of the trim when it can't be hidden under a hinge. And they only nailed it at the very ends. The groove is thin enough and the trim has "ribs" on it where it goes into the groove that there wasn't any glue used originally (that I can tell).

I'm guessing the way this will go down is I'll have all the material ready to go then a set of doors will pop up for cheap and so I'll never actually do this. Laughing

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

… oh, I may have some gray, Bay hinges too - just paint 'em to look more original... z

Keep me posted if you find them. I've got a couple of people who may have them, but if their stashes are anything like mine, it may be a while before them find them (if they ever do Laughing)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: