Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RED generator light
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: RED generator light Reply with quote

Hello & happy 4th everyone!

I have a 1967 vw bus with a 1971 1600 DP engine. I have read countless threads about the charging system and reasons for the red generator light to illuminate.

I installed a new generator and regulator and still the red light persists? I plan on testing the new generator with a multimeter and check all connections thoroughly. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Did you polarize the new generator?
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Yes, I polarized the new generator.

thank you!
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Update:

Battery(new) - 12.54 volts

battery while engine running - 12.24 volts

battery above idle speeds - 12.25-12.26 volts

removed generator wires.....

jumper from DF to generator frame, grounding generator. Start engine and got a reading of 35 volts at idle and 54+ while higher rpm.

still working : )
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Which regulator and how is it wired? Is your tranny ground strap good? Battery ground good?
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Another update:

checked all connections again.

removed new regulator and replaced with old regulator. Started engine and the light seems to go dim at higher rpm's now?

i have 2 regulators, one is from a cheap auto part store that's 6 months old and the other is 2 weeks old from JBugs along with a new generator that is brand new.

had enough for today. Rosie is going back into the barn.
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Positive wire from generator to regulator is too small, so will not work with the Amperage needed.

Could also be loose/dirty wiring connections:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330978&highlight=generator+light

Those cheap junk terminals you are using are nothing but trouble. If you have to use such, install with soldering iron and heat shrink.

Factory style terminals installed with proper crimper tool are even better:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338938

Get the proper metal fuel line that goes from front engine tin to the fuel pump. Needs the rubber grommet in the front tin and hanger on the LH side of the shroud.
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Hey man,

Thanks for the information and advise!

I haven't had a chance to go through everything just yet. She's been in my garage since I adopted her.

I have since taken the transaxle out had it rebuilt and reinstalled it. The engine followed and I've been running short trips on a monthly basis tackling problems as they happen hence the generator light.

I really HATE electrical work!!!!! : )
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Swedy wrote:

I really HATE electrical work!!!!! : )

No problem! Get the correct tools, and parts. Become well acquainted with the original VW wiring diagram. You will in the end love the work because all electricals shall function perfectly.
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Another update:

I checked all connections and replaced with new. I plan on rewiring with a new wiring harness in the future and didn't want to wait for german style connectors to get the job done. I made sure all connections have good contact including the battery, both positive and negative terminals. Still have red light on!

I've spent countless hours working and trouble shooting this cause. I finally broke down and went to Napa and bought another regulator.

I installed the new regulator and now the red light stays on when the ignition is off and goes off when the bus is running. I went for a short drive and runs amazing however I noticed a smell coming from engine and found new generator to be smoking. I read a few posts about regulators and sometimes the connections stick and need to be hit with the back side of a screwdriver or opened up and adjusted.

How much damage do you think I caused new generator? Still trying to figure this out!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Would try polarizing the gen and see if it still works....
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Thanks, Eric!

will do!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Swedy wrote:

Check your wiring again. The upper wire on the generator (BLACK) should go to D+ on the regulator. The lower wire on the generator (GREEN) should go to DF on the regulator. The wire on the battery 12 volt + (RED) should go to B+ on the regulator. The wire on the regulator connected to 61 should go to your red light. Your ground wire (BLUE) is good where it is connected.

To test if your red light is correct: take off 61 and B+ at the regulator. Don't let them touch the body or each other. Make 61 be hooked to ground (the body) or BLUE wire. Turn the key to on. The light should be on bright.

Now connect 61 to B+. Turn the key on. The light should be completely off.
Put everything back together.

Regarding the smell...it smells like you fried the generator accidentally hooked up another way.

Quote:
jumper from DF to generator frame, grounding generator. Start engine and got a reading of 35 volts at idle and 54+ while higher rpm.

still working : )

Try this again to test output but only for a short quick test.
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Problem solved!

As recommended, I replaced the D+ wire from generator to the regulator with 10 gage wire and moved the black wire to the DF locations. Upon taking these photos I realized the Df tab on the regulator was pushed back due to pushing the new spade connector onto the terminal. I pushed it back to it's normal position and hooked the blue wire ( generator light) back up. Everything works as it should now. It's hard to believe a regulator can cause so much anguish : ) I Don't know how much life i sucked out of the new generator while running it with the DF wire not making contact!?! I do know that I feel confident about replacing generator/regulator and more about the red generator light and charging system to help the next guy out if needed.

This forum is a great wealth of information and all the advice and help is much appreciated!

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Good to hear it is working properly now. Get some solder on those wire terminals at least between the gen and regulator.

Looks like the rubber grommet that is around the battery positive cable has popped loose from the bus body sheet metal. You need that grommet in the hole the cable passes thru on the way tot he starter. Right now the cable is probably rubbing against the somewhat sharp edge of the sheet metal. Once the insulation is worn thru that cable will short out and things can get really exciting!

Also find some way to plug off the tube on the upper right of the fan shroud. You are loosing cooling out the engine needs out of it.
Swedy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: RED generator light Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll address these issues soon. After installing the transaxle, engine, and generator, It has to get easier from here : )

My front floor and cargo areas are rusted through. I plan to buy a welder and do the work myself . Stay tuned......!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: