Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decklid prop for cooling
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
b4thea4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

I've searched and can't find what I'm looking for and it is very possible I'm using the wrong wording.

I'm trying to find a prop to keep the decklid open only an inch or so when driving in the hot months. It would be mounted where the decklid latches to the body not on the hinge side.

The guy that built the engine remembers seeing someone that made them but it could have been decades ago.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

What's gone so horribly wrong in there that makes you think you need extra cooling? 250HP drag motor?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
b4thea4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
What's gone so horribly wrong in there that makes you think you need extra cooling? 250HP drag motor?

Good news is nothing has gone horribly wrong! I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm running a 2110 in a EZ Camper. I'd like to have something available to help with cooling when I'm loaded with gear, climbing hills in warm weather.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

How's the cooling in your bus now ? Stock ? Do you have an external oil cooler ? Any gauges to monitor head or oil temps ?
b4thea4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

panel wrote:
How's the cooling in your bus now ? Stock ? Do you have an external oil cooler ? Any gauges to monitor head or oil temps ?

Doghouse oil cooler and no temp gauges. Just running a tach.

There are a lot of decklid standoffs for beetles to help with airflow in the engine compartment, but not much for the bus.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

Tennis ball?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

b4thea4 wrote:
There are a lot of decklid standoffs for beetles to help with airflow in the engine compartment, but not much for the bus.

Might have to due with the shape of the back of the vehicle ?
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

Hey B4thea4,

If you can picture the hot air coming out of the motor and flowing under it to the back of the bus, this will help with a visual. If you prop open the bottom of the decklid it will simply help this hot air re-enter the engine bay and back into your fanshroud. So basically you would be making things worst as you will be re-circulating hot air. If you prop the top part of the decklid where the hinges are, it will make things worst because rain and crap will enter your engine bay.

Before making any changes, I would suggest you install cylinder head temperature and oil temperature guages to see how happy the motor is. Then go from there.

Best of luck

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

Over in the uk some owners have used these with good results to lower temp. https://www.justkampers.com/earz-engine-bay-air-intake-vw-t2-split-1964-1967.html
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

A properly built engine will not have overheating issues. Some people have the opinion that a bigger displacement engine in a bus “will run hot”. In my experience it doesn’t have to be so. I run a 2276 in the Dormy and even when pulling the heavy assed trailer it runs kool as a cucumber. Cool
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

Very unscientific but....

Have a VDO oil temp gauge T ed at the oil idiot light and have done lots of “tests” to make it run cooler....

Proping the deck lid was the worse thing we did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

run a small remote oil cooler with fan.

or, cut a hole in the forward engine tin on the passenger side of the engine, attach a duct and run it forward and down by the torsion housing to pick up more cool air.

I have done the hole/duct method and it definitely helps.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

b4thea4 wrote:

Doghouse oil cooler and no temp gauges. Just running a tach.

Modify the fan shroud to install the type 4 cooler that is 40% bigger.
Culito

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

Troytempest69 wrote:
Over in the uk some owners have used these with good results to lower temp. https://www.justkampers.com/earz-engine-bay-air-intake-vw-t2-split-1964-1967.html

Any pics of these installed?
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

Not sure if this link will work, but plenty of comments on uk ssvc website.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/splitscreenvanclub/permalink/10160968783915226/
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

I'm still learning but I have heard that many times pyrOman, how many pounds are you pulling? That will be my next step to be sure my engine is set up properly before heading out any where of great distance in the summer.

pyrOman wrote:
A properly built engine will not have overheating issues. Some people have the opinion that a bigger displacement engine in a bus “will run hot”. In my experience it doesn’t have to be so. I run a 2276 in the Dormy and even when pulling the heavy assed trailer it runs kool as a cucumber. Cool

I'll guess that people without a Facebook account can't see these so I posted the pics, very nice and I've seen these before, although I'll assume the correct tin, seals and properly rebuilt engine helps too Wink

Troytempest69 wrote:
Not sure if this link will work, but plenty of comments on uk ssvc website.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/splitscreenvanclub/permalink/10160968783915226/

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

I have a 2276 in my bus. Engle 110 cam, 8.3:1 compression ratio. 40mm carbs. Big valve heads.

I would recommend you put a larger sump on it and an external oil cooler with a fan that kicks on at 180 degrees.

I burned up a 1776 on a round trip adventure from CO to CA a number of years back. Adding the sump and cooler made a huge difference. I did the trip last May and it ran awesome.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

panel wrote:

x2
Does it actually run hot?

IME I just put all the tin and seals in place, including thermostat, and it doesn't run hot.
Some of my buses have oil temp gauges, some not. I've also used the spit test and the laser pointer thermometer and the thermometer in oil dipstick, and a thermocoupler under a spark plug hooked up to a laptop.

Adding the scoops at the cooling vents will make it run cooler.
Does it need to run cooler?

If you see a bus with oil drops all over the backside, it leaks oil.
The air flow picks up the air and smacks it against the back of the bus.
So it make sense that the open engine lid could make the engine run warmer.
b4thea4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid prop for cooling Reply with quote

There is some great information here! Thank you all. It does seem pointless to bring hot air in to the engine compartment when trying to improve airflow.

I'm going to start with capping the heat riser openings on the engine tin to limit heat coming in as I kept the original german tin when switching to dual carbs. I do have a larger sump which will help with oil temps in the warm weather, however it takes a lot longer time to warm up in winter months. So I don't want to make any permanent adjustments.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: