Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Thanks again to all who offered help and advice.

Steve, the first thing I did was check the push rod length and discovered it was way out of adjustment. I put it back to spec per Bentley. I started the bleeding process at the right rear wheel and noticed that the bleeder valve, when opened a quarter turn, was loose in the threads (like a loose tooth). Luckily, I had some extras so I installed them, did a one person bleed and it didn't take long before the pedal was back to full function and appropriate travel.

I think between the rod being out of adjustment and the loose bleeder valve (allowing air to enter the system) I found the cause of my Frustrating Brake Bleeding Issue.

Thank Again for all the help,

Jeff

Jeff - super happy that is all it was.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks Steve, me too. I’m a little embarrassed that I wasn’t able to diagnose this myself but am grateful to learn from everyone who contributed here.

In these strange times of Covid 19, I am very glad for our VW community.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Steve, me too. I’m a little embarrassed that I wasn’t able to diagnose this myself but am grateful to learn from everyone who contributed here.

In these strange times of Covid 19, I am very glad for our VW community.

It can be a great place when we all work together. There are two adjustments on the servo. One is between the servo and the master in the form of a rod. On some cars that rod is adjustable. There is a cup in the master that the rod sits in, and a cup (indent) in the servo. I don't think that rod is adjustable on a bus and it has been too long since I have had it out to remember if it is or not. If that rod sits on the edge of the cup and not in the cup it will throw the geometry off. If you aren't sure you got it into the indents then pull it and check it. Also did you replace the O-ring between the master and the servo? That helps seal the vacuum. Who did the work on the servo, where did you send it?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

On my flotilla of VW, BMW, and Volvo I have evolved to the point of replacing bleeder screws with OEM whenever I do my semiannual fluid change. I don’t know if the supply chain for brake hardware for Bays is as good as the other two, but the worse it it, the even better this idea might be.

$20 every two years for hardware , vs a snapped bleeder and hours of conduct/language unbecoming of the Creator.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

I'm going to build a pressure bleeder this weekend (I hope) as Jetfxr69 and I replaced my MC last fall, then I replaced some lines and WCs so want to pressure bleed the system. I have a vacuum bleeder but sounds like the pressure process is worth doing?

IIRC, I read someplace that the late bay reservoir cap is the same size as some general household cap, do I have that right?
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
I'm going to build a pressure bleeder this weekend (I hope) as Jetfxr69 and I replaced my MC last fall, then I replaced some lines and WCs so want to pressure bleed the system. I have a vacuum bleeder but sounds like the pressure process is worth doing?

IIRC, I read someplace that the late bay reservoir cap is the same size as some general household cap, do I have that right?

Save your time: https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-0104-Volkswagen-Bleeder/dp/B0002KM5LK
SGKent wrote:
you can buy just the adapter if you want. 1104 Air Cooled Vw Adapter

http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/1104-Air-Cooled-Vw-Adapter-_p_97.html

Summit, Amazon, Ebay and more have them. Or send it back and ask for the correct adapter. Use like 5 - 7 psi pressure is usually adequate, never over 10 even thought it says 15 PSI in the instructions. The old plastic tubes, hoses and reservoirs can and do split. One guy in a Ferrari forum put brake fluid all over his paint and engine bay when a hose broke at 15 PSI, then spent hours cleaning it up before it ate the paint.

I've used mine on the bus and with another adapter our Sable Wagon. On both cars it got out small bubbles after caliper rebuilds that would not come out with normal bleeding - especially on the Sable.

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

I'll start trial an error, just thought I had seen it someplace that there was a standard household cap that was the same size. As I mentioned in another thread, delivery isn't an option if I want to have it before snow flies. Thanks for posting the links, I bet someone else will be glad you did. Stay safe, stay home Smile
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, so far the best fit and design has been the top of a Dawn dish soap bottle. The spout fits a piece of vinyl tubing with a small clamp with just enough meat to be secure, the threads are spot-on for the upper reservoir on a late bay (after a good cleaning to remove the detergent residue, of course).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
If anyone is interested, so far the best fit and design has been the top of a Dawn dish soap bottle. The spout fits a piece of vinyl tubing with a small clamp with just enough meat to be secure, the threads are spot-on for the upper reservoir on a late bay (after a good cleaning to remove the detergent residue, of course).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just realized you hijacked the Whaanga's thread, but good luck with your project.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

Scott, Even I was able to build one! I just used a garden pump up sprayer I had got from "the mart" on clearance and i just bought another cap so I didnt have to fiddle with it. So simple even a caveman can do it!

did i bleed the brakes? Nooooo
did i even get the brakes reassembled? Noooo

but i did manage to build the bleeder. Now i just cant find it

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Frusting Brake Bleeding Issue Reply with quote

Quote:
Also did you replace the O-ring between the master and the servo? That helps seal the vacuum. Who did the work on the servo, where did you send it?

I did not replace the O ring but when I read you post, I got on line and ordered one. I should have thought of this so thank you for brining this up.

These are the folks that did the rebuild (I learned about them from Robbie) - they're based in Fort Wayne, IN.

http://www.BrakeMaterialsAndParts.com

Very nice folks and they did a great job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: