Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I picked up a 1971 VW Transporter Deluxe last weekend in the great state of Montana. A mostly rust free straightish early bus with part of the interior present but not in the greatest shape. No engine but it did have the transaxle, new tires, keys, and a battery?! The previous owners had the bus since 2009 with some documentation but I found records inside the bus going back to 1998. I thought that was pretty neat.

They said they removed the bus with plans of a complete rebuild but lost sight of the project a few years ago. They said they had many years of fun and hope that it would be driving on the road again someday. I said, not to worry, I'll be getting er going ASAP!!

Here she is all loaded up in Great Falls, MT ready to head to Billings, MT.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Getting the tires aired back up to roll it off of the trailer. Someone had some good thinking back when they painted the bus. It looks like it is mostly spray paint but its been like that for at least 20 years, per the records found inside which identified the color.

I ran the M-Code plate and here is what came back.

This is the engine I'm putting in. It is a Type 126, 1600cc single port Industrial engine. I've removed the heads and p/c and clean up the carbon; inspected the rods and everything appears to be tight and within spec. New seals and gaskets and got it put back together.

This is my first early bus so I'm learning what is what, but so far I this is what I have.

Starting on the right side of the engine bay.

The middle left is the regulator, which has three wire going to the battery. Not sure what the unit is on the top middle with a smaller unit attached to it, which also appears to have a live wire going to it.

Going over to the left side of the engine bay. Not sure if there was a propane heater at one point but there are two thick hoses with metal fittings. It looks like there is a relay unit that has wires going to the brake lights and back-up lights. There is also a black wire hanging from the light housing, not exactly sure what that is yet.

Planning on prepping everything for a possible install this next week. I was hoping to have it done today but I'm not sure about the current wiring in the engine bay and need to review the Bentley for a level of comfort.

If you have any tips for me on the install, please let me know.

IG: @sawyerwho
YouTube: @sawyerwho

1971 VW Transporter Deluxe (sold 2020)
1972 VW Sportsmobile Camper (sold 2012)
1975 VW Transporter FI (sold 2007)
1976 VW Transporter 1.8L FI
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Nice! Looks like a fun project!
'65 Honda Dream
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

On the left

The fat hose with the check valve, arrow to motor, is your brake booster vacuum line. That will hook up to the manifold on the left side

The other fat hose is either heater or AC system, aftermarket.

On the right on top of the fender is a cold start relay, or as I call them , a “ I’m too lazy to fix my car “ relay

Sorry that’s harsh. Someone had trouble getting the car to crank, so they installed that relay instead of fixing the problem

Most of that wiring Is badly sub- standard.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

I also have a 71 deluxe, be prepared to pull the trans axle and replace the hockey stick.
Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
Nice! Looks like a fun project!

Thanks! It has been a lot of fun so far!

Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
On the left

The fat hose with the check valve, arrow to motor, is your brake booster vacuum line. That will hook up to the manifold on the left side

The other fat hose is either heater or AC system, aftermarket.

On the right on top of the fender is a cold start relay, or as I call them , a “ I’m too lazy to fix my car “ relay

Sorry that’s harsh. Someone had trouble getting the car to crank, so they installed that relay instead of fixing the problem

Most of that wiring Is badly sub- standard.

Ok, so I do not have the original engine and with that, I do not have the manifold that has the port for the brake booster. Any chance there is a modification to use with out the manifold port?

As for the cold start relay, I think I'll leave alone until it does not work or I need to inspect it. Thanks for the help in identifying some of the parts.

Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
I also have a 71 deluxe, be prepared to pull the trans axle and replace the hockey stick.

The hockey stick? Do you have a picture for reference? I've got everything out now, maybe I should take a look at that?

orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

You might want to go through the ratwell page and figure out some of those weird electrical hacks.
https://ratwell.com/

nice early bay. I've never seen the vw metal tag on the fan shroud before. I wonder why it is there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
You might want to go through the ratwell page and figure out some of those weird electrical hacks.

nice early bay. I've never seen the vw metal tag on the fan shroud before. I wonder why it is there.

I'd guess the tag on the engine is because it is an industrial engine ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Yes, thats a single port industrial engine, not original

It won't have the vacuum port for the brakes since single port Busses didn't have power brakes.

This is an easy port to put in onto one side (drill, tap, brass fitting) , if you put onto both sides we will poke fun at your here. Very Happy
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Sawyer2 wrote:
bsairhead wrote:

The hockey stick? Do you have a picture for reference? I've got everything out now, maybe I should take a look at that?
The hockey stick gets bent if you do not support the trans axle with the engine out.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

your bus and i share a production date!
have fun Cool
Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Yes, thats a single port industrial engine, not original

It won't have the vacuum port for the brakes since single port Busses didn't have power brakes.

This is an easy port to put in onto one side (drill, tap, brass fitting) , if you put onto both sides we will poke fun at your here. Very Happy

Ok, I've added that to the list! I was originally just trying to get this bus running but I guess now I'll be working on making it dependable as well. Thanks for the info.

Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:

Good call. I've been looking through the Bentley but that seems to only have stock wiring set-ups. I think this bus has some stock wiring and some creative thinking.

Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
your bus and i share a production date!
have fun Cool

Happy belated birthday!

Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Happy Sunday everyone. I've dedicated today to working on "Gus", the 1971 Bus, and I could use help to troubleshoot my no spark issue.

To bring you up to speed, yesterday, with the help of my wife, we installed the Industrial 1600 SP. Connected all of the wires, squirted a little gas in the carb and tried to turn it over, and to our surprise, it turned over pretty well under the battery power. However, I could tell it was not getting spark, nor did I smell any gas...

I then tested the coil and #1 (-) and #15 (+) both have power (12.1v) with the key on. When the points are open, both #1 and #15 still have power.

I'm headed to get a point and condenser set at O'riely's but if anyone has any suggestions as to the possible issue, or what to try, I'm open to them.

Last edited by Sawyer2 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Adding to my last post, I initially tested the coil on the bench using an ohmmeter. With the red on the positive #15 and the black on the negative #1, it had 3.5ohmns. I think I read that it must be at least 3.0 to be good. Maybe I read wrong?

Also, the distributor on the engine is frozen to the case. I untightened the nut and it won't turn at all. I didn't want to try anymore because I thought maybe if it was timed perfectly, I wouldn't need to adjust it? I'm not sure my logic is that great here.

If the distributor is the issue, I do have a 031 that I can try and use. I am currently using an 003 without a vacuum advance paired with a 28 Pict carb. I know the set up isn't ideal but it is what I have to use at the moment. The 28 Pict does have a vacuum so the 031 might go well with it.

Here are a few pictures of the current set up. I did buy new points and condenser set that I want to try first in the 003 to see if I can get a spark. If not, I will then go to the 031 distributor. I'm already fretting having to potentially pry the 003 off of the case... It was pretty stuck the last time I tried to move it.

Also, the yellow wire going to the oil pressure is connected to a blue-green wire going to the front, and the black wire it is housed with is going to the coil #15 side.

Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Blue-green is the factory sender wire color.

Anytime you have a no spark issue, with power to the coil and engine ‘cranking’, use your test light on the negative coil post. If it blinks, everything under the rotor is working as it should. Steady light or no light indicates points or condenser problem, or a distributor shaft not turning.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

Update:

I replaced the condenser and the points appear to be working correctly by cutting off the #1 on the coil when they are not engaged. Still no spark to the plugs...

Could it be the distributor?

Sawyer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sawyer's '71 Transporter Deluxe Reply with quote

[quote="Jeff Geisen"]Blue-green is the factory sender wire color.

Anytime you have a no spark issue, with power to the coil and engine ‘cranking’, use your test light on the negative coil post. If it blinks, everything under the rotor is working as it should. Steady light or no light indicates points or condenser problem, or a distributor shaft not turning.[/quote

I replaced the condenser, and I believe the distributor and coil are now working correctly. Still no spark to the plugs.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: