Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY ECU refurbish
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

i just finished refurbing 3 ECUs and thought i'd detail things. one was an older 025 906 022 Dave had sent me that was flaky and 2 were newer "D" models from an 87 and 89. i didn't take pictures of the early model but the design was significantly different with many electrolytic capacitors that were replaced as well as a two piece heat sink that lacked heat sink grease. the "D" models only had 2 electrolyics and a solid block for the heat sink eliminating the two piece design and the need for heat sink compound between the parts.

here's the two newer ones:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

unscrewing the case one can see the EPROM chip area is well shielded as well as the two capacitors that will be replaced:

here's a shot of the EPROM itself for those that do the deep dive:

while this failure point was NOT bad on my 3 ECUs, another Samba member, Alistair, posted these pictures of a failure of the solder points for the SCRs. excellent work! topside location:

and the bottom, red circled area was bad and resoldered:

to address that on my good ECUs, i removed the solder from all the heat sinked components and resoldered. here's a photo with the solder removed on those points:

i'll mention a solder sucking gun, about $300, makes board repairs soooo much easier. it makes a cleaner repair if you can remove the solder first in resoldering and obviously is great for component removal. i love this Hako Fr-300:

there's also a resistor that gets hot and scorches the board. i resoldered that too. replaced the 2 caps, both 100uf but one was 40volt and the other 25volt. use these 100uf 50volt caps from Digikey for both:

sometimes when the component is removed, the hole has stubborn solder that just won't suck out. here i'm using a #71 carb jet drill that was the perfect size:

that's about it... on the newest "D" model, address the heat sinked component solder points, address scorched resistor solder points, replace capacitors, DeOxit external pins for plug. on the older models there will be many more electrolytic capacitors to replace and one should put heat sink grease between the component plate and the heat sink itself. I still have Dave's unit that was flaky installed in my van and it is doing fine. I would wager this addresses most of the ECU failures.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:42 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

Super interesting, thank you!
I know nothing in electronics, how did you determine the components were bad? Or are they preventatively replaced?
I have a pile of these suckers that need work, and one is a Shoebox Electronics tool I would love to use .

I opened some of them out of curiosity but was quickly deterred lol!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

with anything this old, you ALWAYS replace ALL the electrolytic capacitors. they age and fail causing all sorts of weird issues. there are many other capacitors on the board... tantalums, polyester, etc but the round can electrolytics are short lived. forgot to mention you want to always order caps rated for 105C temperature and also the longest life in hours. higher voltage is fine to substitute but never lower. Digikey and other electronics sellers always specify this information.

i've got this old Mercedes i'm bringing back to life. the climate control box was restored as well as the cruise module by simply replacing the electrolytic capacitors. you replace every one you see on a board because they have a finite life.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

Hey dan,

Was i that found a bad joint on the power transistor. Being an electronics duffer, it’s hard to describe my elation at fixing it. The fault caused engine no run condition.
The newer ecu looks much easier to get full access. My ecu had the second board on risers and the risers had goop on the fasteners. Was way above my pay grade to try to get that board off.

Oh and I have an old merc in driveway, working on it too. The mb engineers must have been paid by how complicated they could make simple things Smile

Thanks for this post dan,

Cheers

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

Alistair! right! i'd downloaded the picts when i saw them but didn't save anything else. thanks for chiming in, it was a great post.

it looked like your ECU was an early one so if you ever tear into it again, put some heat sink grease between the plate the SCRs are mounted on and the finned heatsink. it just has 3 screws holding it onto the heat sink.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

i've got this old Mercedes i'm bringing back to life. the climate control box was restored as well as the cruise module by simply replacing the electrolytic capacitors. you replace every one you see on a board because they have a finite life.

I've done both those modules on 123/124 cars by just heating the cold solder joints. Is there a way to test the electrolytics short of an oscilloscope?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

caps are so cheap that once you have the module down, just shot gun them all and replace. i think with shipping it was like $16 to do the climate control module.

but to directly answer your question, yes several instruments test capacitors at their rated voltage, and this is critical to check for leakage. the Sencor Z-meter series eg the LC53 checks both capacitor value and leakage at their rated voltage. less expensive but perfectly adequate models are the old Heathkit IT-28 with the 'magic eye tube' that i really like for both coolness and it gives a dynamic visual representation of the caps leakage and charge times. these go on eBay for well under $100, i think i got one for $25. i gave my IT-28 to a friend interested in electronics as i have the LC53.

many multimeters have a cap checker that returns just the value. useful but not a good test on vintage electronics, need to check for leakage as they age.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
caps are so cheap that once you have the module down, just shot gun them all and replace. i think with shipping it was like $16 to do the climate control module.

but to directly answer your question, yes several instruments test capacitors at their rated voltage, and this is critical to check for leakage. the Sencor Z-meter series eg the LC53 checks both capacitor value and leakage at their rated voltage. less expensive but perfectly adequate models are the old Heathkit IT-28 with the 'magic eye tube' that i really like for both coolness and it gives a dynamic visual representation of the caps leakage and charge times. these go on eBay for well under $100, i think i got one for $25. i gave my IT-28 to a friend interested in electronics as i have the LC53.

many multimeters have a cap checker that returns just the value. useful but not a good test on vintage electronics, need to check for leakage as they age.

The most useful capacitor checker I ever used was an ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) meter. Essential when checking capacitors while they are still in circuit. When you've got 80 or so 1uF or 10uf capacitors on 60 or so otherwise identical boards in the guts of a Broadcast audio desk, you need to be able to decide very quickly which ones really need to be replaced. The shotgun effect didn't compute with those!

But yes, in most cases, replacing every electrolytic is the most sensible approach when refurbishing older kit. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESR_meter wrote:

Principles of ESR meter operation
Most ESR meters work by discharging a real electrolytic capacitor (more or less equivalent to an ideal capacitor in series with an unwanted resistance, the ESR) and passing an electric current through it for a short time, too short for it to charge appreciably. This will produce a voltage across the device equal to the product of the current and the ESR plus a negligible contribution from a small charge in the capacitor; this voltage is measured and its value divided by the current (i.e., the ESR) shown in ohms or milliohms on a digital display or by the position of a pointer on a scale. The process is repeated tens or hundreds of thousands of times a second.

Alternatively an alternating current at a frequency high enough that the capacitor's reactance is much less than the ESR can be used. Circuit parameters are usually chosen to give meaningful results for capacitance from about one microfarad up, a range that covers typical aluminium capacitors whose ESR tends to become unacceptably high.

a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

Do the ISM next please! I'm not running mine at all, it's in the glovebox. So if you need a guinea pig just shoot me a a DM. I'll mail it to you.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
Do the ISM next please! I'm not running mine at all, it's in the glovebox. So if you need a guinea pig just shoot me a a DM. I'll mail it to you.

meh. i think most are just as well off without the ISM circuit. mine is completely removed, idle stabilizer valve removed, and things run just fine.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

continuing on the ECU rebuild thread... i had fried an older non "D" model ECU by experimenting with a Delta Mark 10 C capacitive discharge ignition system on the vanagon. with the dead ECU, Mark (crazyvwvanman) had the excellent suggestion to follow with an ohm meter the coil trigger pin (25) on the ECU to the switching component mounted on the heat sink. that led us here, to the far left component screwed to the heatsink.

also notice the 2 piece heatsink vs the solid block in the "D" ECU. that far left component is a thyristor. thyristors are essentially 'latching transistors' that remain on once triggered until triggered off. typically high voltage and high amperage, like up to 12 amps. SCRs are a type of thyristor. so, fire up the Hako FR-300 and remove the little suspect.

a whopping $0.71 each at Digikey. 4 on order. stay tuned to see if we'll be able to name this ECU 'Larzarus'.

www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

Hey dan,

What’s your thoughts about the contact between the end cap heat sink and the vertical metal board the hot components are mounted to?

I can see traces of thermal paste, it’s the fit up good or iffy?

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Hey dan,

What’s your thoughts about the contact between the end cap heat sink and the vertical metal board the hot components are mounted to?

I can see traces of thermal paste, it’s the fit up good or iffy?

Alistair

i would describe it as "barely adequate". as you can see from the paste, which i applied- there was none, that a pretty significant area is not making contact. i had it spread evenly over the entire transistor plate. with only 3 screws at the top holding it onto the heatsink, no wonder. as i mentioned, the "D" ECU went to a one piece design which tells me someone in R&D shot a thermal image of the early ECU and didn't like what they saw. they also added tin shielding to the program chips on the front and back sides so that was either a best practice design change or they saw an issue.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

Back From the Dead. the thyristor arrived today, i'm overnight close via USPS First Class for $4.99 from Digikey, and soldered it in. fired up immediately, took it for a 20 minute test drive and all is good. here's this early ECU, a few less refinements in design but i detect no drivability difference.

credit on this repair really goes to Mark. i do a lot of board level repairs but it wasn't in my fore-brain to trace the coil-fire connector pin back to the rack of transistors. great tip.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

Nice job, I`m impressed !

If you`re bored, I have 6 of them to do Laughing Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

Very impressive and also a bit concerning...does that mean than most ECU needs some refreshing at this point? Since they have all the same age....
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
Very impressive and also a bit concerning...does that mean than most ECU needs some refreshing at this point? Since they have all the same age....

well, that's the $64 question. i did this pre-emptively on 2 perefectly functioning ECUs. they could have gone another 10 years or crapped out tomorrow. it makes sense to do this or carry a spare. i'll be doing both because they are small to store onboard and i like being a hero at times, not that they go out all that often. but on a puzzling no-start, a spare can quickly eliminate the question. to that end, i'm ditching the metal mounting cage as it saves a bit of underseat room and makes testing a 2 minute affair.

www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
...ditching the metal mounting cage...

You Minnesota guys have the best ideas... Wink Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

another successful ECU repair... dead ECU brought back to life with some pretty simple repairs: replace thryristor that controls the grounding of the fuel injectors, replace 2 100uf caps, repair heat damaged power resistor, resoldered harness connector header, cleaned up PCB of some light corrosion. put the ECU in my '87 and went for an uneventful 10 mile drive! this is where NOT having the ECU in that metal cage makes swapping these very easy.

here's the riveted thryristor which makes it a PITA to remove. i snipped off the head of the aluminum rivet, drilled out and ran a self tapping screw in with a nut to pin down the clip and allow the slight bump of the remaining rivet to protrude beyond clip. Loctited the screw in place.

burned high watt resistor

PCB side of resistor

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: DIY ECU refurbish Reply with quote

But for the cost of that sodder sucking gun I could by a good ECU
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: