Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve adjustment and tire question.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

Our little 74 hasn't seen much action in a couple years with a little one running around but we have high hopes for this summer. I rebuilt the brakes last year and ruptured a fuel line in the summer and that was about it until last week.

I noticed a bit of a clicking last year so the Thing got some new fuel lines last week and I did my first valve adjustment tonight. Went great except I can't find my new gaskets, no big deal they are on the way. The valves were tight almost all around, .004 did make it through but I opened them all up to .006. It started and ran fine before but it felt like it hit its idle sweet spot faster tonight.

I may have found the clicking, cylinder #2 is missing the spring washer on the end of the rocker (muffler side) and there is play side to side. Never being in there before there is also a bit of carbon deposits near it.

- Since I have to open it up again for the gaskets and spring washer is it worth the time to clean the deposits out? Does anyone have a favorite product to do that? Brake cleaner?

- Some of the adjustment screw slots are in bad shape, does it require a compression tool to replace those or is it as simple as backing the old one out and replacing them?

- Regarding tires, we put new whitewalls on a couple years ago. The whitewall stripes are near impossible to keep white. They get dingy just sitting in the garage. I've tried most of the cleaning products I have and with a lot of elbow grease I can get them more white but nothing close to the bright white from when they were put on. 3M magic erasers seem to work OK and the next best thing has been mineral spirits but its only temporary.

I've read a lot of posts suggesting replacing the rocker arms with modern replacements, I'm not quite there yet. Last things on the list for now are a spring plate adjustment, a flaky left turn signal and the odometer light is out, baby steps.

As usual between this site and the infinite videos on youtube the VW community is awesome.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

Technut27 wrote:

- Since I have to open it up again for the gaskets and spring washer is it worth the time to clean the deposits out? Does anyone have a favorite product to do that? Brake cleaner?
You can try to clean out the deposits, but you don't really want something that will strip away the oil completely and you want to remove the rocker arm train and pushrods and plug the pushrod tubes to stop the flow of the cleaner going back into the case via pushrod tubes. Maybe WD-40 or just some fresh oil and a nylon brush.

- Some of the adjustment screw slots are in bad shape, does it require a compression tool to replace those or is it as simple as backing the old one out and replacing them?
Simple as that-but take off the rocker arm train and do all of them. Torque the train nuts to specified torque.

- Regarding tires, we put new whitewalls on a couple years ago. Try Bleche wite from Black Magic (use to be Westely's) with a brass brush (BBQ ones work great) I used it when I had raised letters on my BF Goodrich, there usually is a lot of white rubber so it won't scrape off for long time. Or go drive in the sand.

a flaky left turn signal-ground and wire connectors
the odometer light is out-speedo ground or get a little light from your local auto parts store.

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

This product (Belch White) with a stiff brush, spray, let dwell, then agitate and rinse.

It used to work well. Not sure if the formula has changed since I last used it.

https://www.target.com/p/black-magic-automotive-po...lsrc=aw.ds
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

I'll definitely try those out, keeping them clean seemed harder than it should have been. They aren't just dusty from storage they need scrubbed, almost like oxidation.

Now that I see how simple it is to remove the rockers they are going to get cleaned up. I guess I didn't realize its just two bolts and the rods simply pull out.

If I get the turn signal switch in the right position the left hand one will work, the rear left light is simply out and its not the bulb. I was in the dash a while back pulling out mystery wires, I'll double check the connections on the relay.

Last edited by Technut27 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

That 'THING' needs new engine oil(correct with high zddp) and driving, it's so full of crung your oil orifices will be so riduced it's quite bad but an easy fix, maybe I say maybe try a good internal engine cleaner additive before your next oil change, but first new engine oil don't forget to check the strainer.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

So called engine cleaners when added to the oil can and will plug the oil cooler then you burn up the engine. Just drain the oil and add new oil drive it and change it again. Do a search on cleaners here you’ll see similar stories. Do not use engine flush
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

I said maybe a flush, but I think that might be too aggressive as the gentleman said earlier, possibly a diesel engine oil would be a good compromise it has slightly more detergent than regular engine oil and they tend to have more Zddp, then back to regular engine oil with high zddp.
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

I've changed the oil a couple times but its due again. I doubt the car has has 3k put on it since I bought it honestly. The first couple changes were dirty, I wouldn't be surprised if there is still some build up on the bottom of the pan. I'll clean the rockers/valves up the next time I'm in there so I'll at least know if its new deposits or not going forward. The inside of the valve cover was nice and clean.

Thanks all for the advice as always.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

My guess is that your valve stems are loose in their guides letting exhaust gases into the rocker box. Running a synthetic oil will slowly clean the insides of an engine up.

Here is one of the heads on my bus when it had 200,000+ miles on it, it had been run with synthetic oil for the last 100K miles at this point.

Make sure your crankcase ventilation is working as well as it can.
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment and tire question. Reply with quote

Great tip about looking for a loose ground, found a loose wire in the quick connect, snugged that up and its working again.

That led me to a bunch old splices for the tail lights held together with crunchy electrical tape, added those to my to-do list but I re-taped them for now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: