Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone thought to 3D print license plate frames?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone thought to 3D print license plate frames? Reply with quote

Including myself, there are a lot of WTB ads and discussions for the vintage style license plate brackets. Typical was the kind with the checkerboard at the corners and the strange "parenthesis" as background for the letters, like these ones:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although it may not be as shiny, I wonder of someone with the skills has thought of making templates for plates, with customizable text. I bet they would sell and be worth the effort to prepare the files, not just for VW nuts, since they were very common in the '60s and '70s.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone thought to 3D print license plate frames? Reply with quote

I've looked into it. A license plate frame is slightly bigger than 6X12. That is pretty big for a 3d printer, mine maxes out at 8.5x8.5. You'd have to split it in 2 somewhere then glue it after the print. Other than that, you'd definitely be able to do it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone thought to 3D print license plate frames? Reply with quote

what about 3D printing the frames to use as a pattern for a foundry to cast them out of zinc?
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone thought to 3D print license plate frames? Reply with quote

I''d even be fine with a plastic frame, hand-sanded to smoothness where wanted, and then have it spray-chrome plated like plastic model bumpers. It will might be pretty affordable.
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone thought to 3D print license plate frames? Reply with quote

Ive used Shapeways to print plastic parts recently with good results. They do have metals as an option to print in as well. They have an online quoting system so all you have to do is upload a 3D STL file.

I think if you could find a blank frame, so you would only have to add the letters would be the best bet. Id love to make my own brand plate frame. I know there are a couple companies that make custom car club plaques so 1 off designs dont seem cost prohibitive in the grand scheme. Cool idea
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: