Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rattle Can paint job....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

Eh, tough to ask about something like this to the general public.

Some people like a bus with patina. Some don't.
Some dont like anything other than OG paint.
Some dont like Harbor Freight tools and will call you an idiot for shopping there, others will tell you to go buy a cheap HF spray gun to spray your bus.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My thought -- I think it looks great. Do it your way, and enjoy your bus. Don't get bothered by what other people think. Cool

malcolm2 wrote:

I will have a ready supply of touch up and not feel bad about parking at Walmart.

I like this philosophy.
Keep at it!
Hobo.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
Eh, tough to ask about something like this to the general public.

Some people like a bus with patina. Some don't.
Some dont like anything other than OG paint.
Some dont like Harbor Freight tools and will call you an idiot for shopping there, others will tell you to go buy a cheap HF spray gun to spray your bus.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My thought -- I think it looks great. Do it your way, and enjoy your bus. Don't get bothered by what other people think. Cool

malcolm2 wrote:

I will have a ready supply of touch up and not feel bad about parking at Walmart.

I like this philosophy.
Keep at it!
Hobo.

It’s a public forum, everyone has an opinion and you get the bad with the good. Some people get offended by comments that don’t support their own opinions and others take those contrasting opinions with an open mind. Some aren’t as artful as others at pointing out issues/flaws so sometimes opinions can come off as mean/condescending but it’s best to just take the useful information and ignore the rest.

For me when I thought I was doing something good and it was pointed out the potential issues I might face I found the criticisms helpful.
subliminaldood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

I have the other problem, I've been rattle canning some trim pieces, hubcaps, etc and recently a section of rear quarter panel... My paint job is not OG and over 20 years old... It wasn't properly finished then like they never sanded and polished... just shined up the orange peel... It's white ('66 Ford Wimbledon White to be precise) so it looks good at 10 feet. So my rattle can bits are shinier and prettier than the rest of the Bus!!

Duplicolor Perfect Match is what I've been using... Expensive at $10 per can!!
And not quite a perfect match, but close for some things, but not a body panel... I'm going to explore the idea of getting a custom blend from a paint store in a rattle can... Only have a pancake compressor with 3scfm output, so not so good for a HPLV gun.

My method has been: smooth with scotch pad - primer - sand with 600 - base color x3 - clear x 3 then sand with 600, scotch pad, 1000, 2000, then 3000 wet sand and finally polishing compound. Comes out mirror smooth.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

subliminaldood wrote:
I have the other problem, I've been rattle canning some trim pieces, hubcaps, etc and recently a section of rear quarter panel... My paint job is not OG and over 20 years old... It wasn't properly finished then like they never sanded and polished... just shined up the orange peel... It's white ('66 Ford Wimbledon White to be precise) so it looks good at 10 feet. So my rattle can bits are shinier and prettier than the rest of the Bus!!

Duplicolor Perfect Match is what I've been using... Expensive at $10 per can!!
And not quite a perfect match, but close for some things, but not a body panel... I'm going to explore the idea of getting a custom blend from a paint store in a rattle can... Only have a pancake compressor with 3scfm output, so not so good for a HPLV gun.

My method has been: smooth with scotch pad - primer - sand with 600 - base color x3 - clear x 3 then sand with 600, scotch pad, 1000, 2000, then 3000 wet sand and finally polishing compound. Comes out mirror smooth.

I suck at painting so I decided to go the powder coating route. If you have the space for the oven and the media blaster it’s a good option as you’ll get a really good AND durable finish with a minimal amount of work. Of course the drawback is that I can’t do large pieces but I could get the same powder I use and take it to a professional powder coated.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

subliminaldood wrote:
Only have a pancake compressor with 3scfm output, so not so good for a HPLV gun.

Used that setup on several occasions, just get a water separator and n-line regulator. I’ll never win an award for Best Paint but that simple system has served me well for my purposes. YMMV

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was this color before but I'd already done a graphite bike so I changed this GS550 to purple

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
subliminaldood wrote:
Only have a pancake compressor with 3scfm output, so not so good for a HPLV gun.

Used that setup on several occasions, just get a water separator and n-line regulator. I’ll never win an award for Best Paint but that simple system has served me well for my purposes. YMMV

It was this color before but I'd already done a graphite bike so I changed this GS550 to purple

looks a lot better than rattlecan. That is pretty impressive for such a small compressor. One thing folks can do, is if you see an inexpensive unit someone is in a hurry to get rid of, you can parallel the tanks if they are similar pressures. Run to two different outlets/breakers in the house with really heavy duty short extension cords, and you'll get twice the output. I bought a Craftsman unit years ago and found out it wasn't enough. Found one on CL someone was getting rid of cause he bought a new one. The only issue was he had a wood shop and the filter was plugged with sawdust. Swapped that, paralleled the tanks and now I have plenty of air.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

Siamese compressors, not a bad idea - more volume should help sustain low pressure, in turn running the motor(s) less. Gonna have to give that a try next time, thanks.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Siamese compressors, not a bad idea - more volume should help sustain low pressure, in turn running the motor(s) less. Gonna have to give that a try next time, thanks.

Siamese the tanks and not the outputs. I added a tee and a quick F disconnect to each tank inlet, then ran a hose with a M disconnect on each end. You only need to feed the sprayer from one tank and regulator.
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

You can be like my PO and be so lazy as not to even remove the spare tire! Shocked

78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

Is that like when you paint your bathroom and don't bother to move the toilet?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

shano63 wrote:
You can be like my PO and be so lazy as not to even remove the spare tire! Shocked

Did he just not remove it or has the paint just aged differently behind the cover and tire?
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

That's the original paint behind the spare. You can see it on the door where it has flaked off
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

lol, BTDT.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

Never let the guy doing the tile or other flooring work, just lay the flooring with the toilet in place. It forces you to either never replace your ugly old toilet or to have further flooring work done when you do.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

Never let the guy doing the tile or other flooring work, just lay the flooring with the toilet in place. It forces you to either never replace your ugly old toilet or to have further flooring work done when you do.

And it's so much harder to tile around it than remove it! Rolling Eyes
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

I managed a rental house in Palm Springs that the owner had a handyman tile the flooring thru the whole house.
But when the kitchen was tiled, the handyman very precisely cut the tiles to fit around the front of the refrigerator. Laughing It would have been much simpler to roll the fridge out and tile under it. But this handyman was not known for his Mensa abilities...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I managed a rental house in Palm Springs that the owner had a handyman tile the flooring thru the whole house.
But when the kitchen was tiled, the handyman very precisely cut the tiles to fit around the front of the refrigerator. Laughing It would have been much simpler to roll the fridge out and tile under it. But this handyman was not known for his Mensa abilities...

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

I've cut tile, I'd rather move the fridge with my teeth than cut out around it.
westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

[quote="malcolm2"]

.........not sure I would have done it the same way, but it's your Bus.

Looks fine. Use the hell out of it, that's what they're for.

Have fun. Be safe.

Support our troops. Not all injuries are visible ones.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

Hopefully the workmanship is better than the invoicing method.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle Can paint job.... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
cmonSTART wrote:

Yup. And you will miss the chance to rip out all the layers of moldy luan, peel and stick tile and punky subfloor lurking underneath from a toilet flange that has been leaking for decades. While you’re at it, rent a chain cutter and replace the old cast iron stink pipe.

Buses and bathrooms have a lot in common.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: