Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it! and I'll get some more pics soon, it's coming along, pretty happy so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
You make it look so easy JonL

JonL wrote:
been polishing for the past month....some random pics, not necessarily in order

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Thank you, PM'd you, hope it helps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Being a driver, I wanted safaris and went with Wolfgangs. Pretty straight forward installation.
The yellowish color has to go though; I’ll paint those later. Fit is nice as I could expect.

You can also see other work that’s complete- all trim with sea blue insert is on, new turn signals, the polishing, etc
Getting closer

JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Also installed some sound deadener- I went with a thin one, didn’t feel the need for a thick one.
Very happy with the difference; feels and sounds more solid.
Simple install, but the time to do it was now.

JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Finishing up the rust repair, and also picked up the seat frames and sunroof header from powder coat. Super happy with the way they turned out. Also got some sub assemblies done- pop outs, etc.

Can’t wait to get the rust repair wrapped up so I get the engine back in! I decided to have a local shop weld up a few areas,, then I’ll finish them up.

Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

i love that kind of detailed work to keep the condition of that one.

-Christian
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Man, you couldnt ask for a better looking bus! Nice work too, bro! Sea Blue is such a amazing color!
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

JonL wrote:
Being a driver, I wanted safaris and went with Wolfgangs. Pretty straight forward installation.
The yellowish color has to go though; I’ll paint those later. Fit is nice as I could expect.

Cool! I bought the same safaris, and was miffed by the color. I was told white, but they're more like a cream color. Nothing I've found even close to that color in the VW colorwheel. I wish I had just gotten the unpainted ones and had them painted myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

I just installed mine (EIS), im now taking them off and apart for paint.
The powdercoating looks great JonL, Good choice.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

I can't complain much about the product itself and mine are getting painted anyways but your are right, its like an antique white or almost cream. Hell even just bright refrigerator white would be better than that ugly yellow- white they paint them with!

peecee69 wrote:
JonL wrote:

Cool! I bought the same safaris, and was miffed by the color. I was told white, but they're more like a cream color. Nothing I've found even close to that color in the VW colorwheel. I wish I had just gotten the unpainted ones and had them painted myself.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Thank y’all, I appreciate it!
I actually scuffed and painted the safaris-they were really together tight and I wasn’t too worried about it if they weren’t perfect. The tabs were also welded instead of screwed and painted those blue white.
I had a little rust going through on the window corner, so addressed those areas too.
This is all out of my garage, but I’m pretty happy about how it’s turning out!

TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

I need to do exactly this to my safari’s. Did you pull back the rubber or just taped where rubber meets the metal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

And rust repair is done, working on bodywork and blending.
Getting close!

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Wow JonL looking good, I have been contemplating using that adhesive based thin insulation Kilmat but was uncomfortable about if I needed to ever remove it. I'm glad to know it works as well as the aluminum over bubble wrap insulation I bought but haven't used. Can any moisture get between the inside metal and the mat itself? I guess it can't right? I live in always damp NJ and I'm always preparing for future rust. Tips/suggestions please Very Happy

JonL wrote:
Also installed some sound deadener- I went with a thin one, didn’t feel the need for a thick one.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
I need to do exactly this to my safari’s. Did you pull back the rubber or just taped where rubber meets the metal?

I was going to blow them apart originally, but those things are in super tight!
But I’m also not looking for a “show car”
I did take off all latches and the 4 screws on each window and then masked them off. I scraped the edge of a razor to take any over spray off, which wasn’t much.
I would highly recommend using a good quality tape that’s meant for this. Not the normal blue Home Depot. I used this:

JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Wow JonL looking good, I have been contemplating using that adhesive based thin insulation Kilmat but was uncomfortable about if I needed to ever remove it. I'm glad to know it works as well as the aluminum over bubble wrap insulation I bought but haven't used. Can any moisture get between the inside metal and the mat itself? I guess it can't right? I live in always damp NJ and I'm always preparing for future rust. Tips/suggestions please Very Happy

JonL wrote:

This sound deadening is more of a rubber with a thin aluminum type top. Once you roll it on, it’s on. No air, no moisture, nothing. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in any climate. I also had some leftover from another car I did, and I totally forgot I had it. I might throw it on too, it’s basically the same stuff, little better known brand:

scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Looking good. Close to rolling it down the road.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

did you consider doing the sound pads on the front floor by any chance? Thinking about this myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
did you consider doing the sound pads on the front floor by any chance? Thinking about this myself.

You easily could and wouldn’t hurt, but I didn’t. My front, stock insulation was in perfect shape, so I left it in that area too.
My package tray was a different story. It was either missing or falling apart. I got this to cut up and put in like original. I have a stock style carpet to go over it from Wolfsburg west- we’ll see how it goes. Being above the engine I thought was important.
Also, with the sunroof and pop outs, I’m not going for super quiet, just some of the road noise and more of a “thud” on the doors
Hope it helps

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: