Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

scottvw wrote:
Looking good. Close to rolling it down the road.

Hell yes Scott. I ran down to Sewfine to check on the timing for the headliner install...probably 30 days out and I’ll have everything else done by then, so getting there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Thanks JonL, I'm getting some and I might even experiment with some other projects. Good to know it seals out that moisture the inside of our buses can accumulate during high humid days. I hate adhesive because if I ever had to remove it I would have a mess but it could be the time I let that go and just move forward freely.

JonL, keep up the great work, the great tips and motivation for all of us.

JonL wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
Wow JonL looking good, I have been contemplating using that adhesive based thin insulation Kilmat but was uncomfortable about if I needed to ever remove it. I'm glad to know it works as well as the aluminum over bubble wrap insulation I bought but haven't used. Can any moisture get between the inside metal and the mat itself? I guess it can't right? I live in always damp NJ and I'm always preparing for future rust. Tips/suggestions please Very Happy

JonL wrote:
Also installed some sound deadener- I went with a thin one, didn’t feel the need for a thick one.
Very happy with the difference; feels and sounds more solid.
Simple install, but the time to do it was now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This sound deadening is more of a rubber with a thin aluminum type top. Once you roll it on, it’s on. No air, no moisture, nothing. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in any climate. I also had some leftover from another car I did, and I totally forgot I had it. I might throw it on too, it’s basically the same stuff, little better known brand:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

I don’t think anyone’s going to notice the spare tire well was replaced, lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Some updates:
All rust repair is done and painted/touched up. It’ll look better once it’s all together.
Body worked dings through out- super happy over all
The package tray is completely done- spare tire well complete and dynamat is cut to mimic stock. I have the stock carpet that will go over it
Getting there!

JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Live feed sort of-

The PO did a handful of ‘fixes’ that I’m bringing back to stock, like this one:
(Now that the kf battery tray is in and done)
After the battery fell through the tray (I’m sure, there was nothing left), they put mesh down over the hole and relocated the battery to the driver side- I’m redoing that now-
I guess this was one way to do it, especially with a 6V system:

JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Kind of a milestone towards completion-especially since time is harder to come across now-
The rear was the worst of the bus- battery tray, hole in the side, rear apron and deck lid was thrashed, electrical was all messed up, some shitty oil cooler and filter was bolted inside and behind the motor with holes drilled, dents and dings, wrong bumper, etc etc- it’s all done, and super happy with it.
I’m to a point where I can put axle boots and the motor and start the fine tuning!

scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Rumor is that it's a driver
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

scottvw wrote:
Rumor is that it's a driver

Lol, damn right it is!

I put the motor, rear bumper, decklid, and apron on, and got most thiings electric working Smile

Most of the seats are done and I’ve been taking it for windowless cruises!
Off to Sewfine soon (they’re swamped) for the headliner and then I’ll install the interior Smile

Pretty pumped, super happy with it!
Want it done so me and the family can enjoy this summer!

I’ll post pics, plan on getting back on it this week!
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Legendary thread.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Been a while with an update, and it's getting close but I had to slow down quite a bit because work ramped up-
I did decide to have my friends do some work to keep it moving and could do a better job than me- one is PDR and some blending of some previous work.
After that headliner and get the interior installed and fine tune the mechanics-
Simple, right???

GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Very Nice Bus and Preservation. Great work being done to it as well.
Will be a Sweet Ride when done. Congrats!! Cool
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Even though it's been a while, a lot has been done!
I got the bus back from Sewfine who installed the headliner and sunroof, works and looks awesome!
Since I got it back, I've been working on putting the rest of the interior together- I started with the pop 6 outs, and today put the Walk Through together- Rear Panels, polished strips, bottom rubber, middle rubber, and newly powder coated ends at the walk through-
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out- I've never done a walk through before, and I didn't know about the factory rivets!
Anyway...-----

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Great work man the bus is looking good.

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm going to try and wrap up the rest of the interior this weekend!
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Killer thread Cool
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Killer thread Cool

I appreciate it!

Little update, getting closer

I need to give Lenny some props- I had an 'accident' (let's call it that, very deflating moment) with the first long panel he made and he rushed a new one out- literally had it in a week. West Coast Classics.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

I had a small window tonight, so I attempted to put in the seat pedistal mat.
Held it in place with the factory seat belt, lined it up, threw a little glue on it and put the door rubber and mat in place
I think it turned out? Another first for me-
Went pretty quick overall Smile

scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Time to start logging some miles!!!!!
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

Is that seat belt retractable ?
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: New purchase to me, 1965 21 deluxe, semi-build thread Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Is that seat belt retractable ?

Yes, installed from new. I actually bought new ones and after comparing it was obvious that the originals had to stay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: