Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bearing wear - engine not run yet
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

I've been working to try to rebuild my 1600 dual port. I've had to strip it down again to replace the cam (I screwed up when measuring the backlash).

The engine hasn't been run but has been turned over by hand a fair bit while checking deck height and rocker geometry. I'm concerned that the crank and camshaft bearings are showing shiny spots. I've included some pictures below.

This is my first engine build and it's been a months since I sealed the case up in January. I lubricated the bearings with SAE 30 oil.

The crank turns freely and smoothly. The only resistance came after the top end was assembled and that feels entirely like fresh rings in fresh cylinders. Neither the cam or crank bound up.

Is this normal? Are the bearings ruined?...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

Its virtually impossible not to slightly mark new bearings when mocking up an engine. If the crank journals are good . Like fresh grind/polish etc I would use them. Even ya finger nail can put shine marks on a new bearing.
bedlamite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but that's also why I use STP oil treatment when I assemble an engine. It's basically 50 wt oil with additives, and stays put longer.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

that is normal.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

Is there a problem here? Rolling Eyes

This is so textbook to see a newbie first time he has his hands in the hole. Yes..it is supposed to feel that way. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

Use a proper assembly lube. Not that it will necessarily stop the markings but it'll provide a tougher film strength and stay put better than oil.
Oil imo is only ok for the guys throwing it together on the Monday and running it on Tuesday.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

Awesome.

Nsracing, you are absolutely correct. Experience can't be gained from books. Photos on threads here and audio/video on YouTube are a big help, but sometimes stuff that experienced guys think is so basic just aren't covered, or the description isn't obvious so searching doesn't find it.

If it helps anyone searching for reassurance on this in the future; another member has clarified that this is bearing wiping. That is something I'd heard of from an a former colleague who was a Navy engineer, but never seen.

Knowing it's normal in this case helps a great deal. Thank you all.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

It felt weird to me too the first time I put my hand to her. It was scary and exciting the first time. Laughing

It is all good man. Before you go torquing parts together, make sure the parts are all clean. The case clean and saddles clean. if you got dirt and things on there, the bearings will deform when you clamp them down.

Enjoy.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

What do the corresponding crank and cam journals look like?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

most of the "scratches look like dibris to me.or rought cut/polished crank. in reality there should be no marks.the cam bearings do show one "normal mark" that I see . the vw flanged cam bearinsg are not real presission items and can show a rub, but thats a end bearing and could of been marked when the cam was installed.who knows. dirty fingers, dirty rags dirty shop/kitchen and much more.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

localized shining zones can be sign of out of alignment bearing bores. but in this case ther can be also a noticeable drag in crank/cam rotation by hand
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

if a paper towel will make it disappear,you are good.

they look fine to me...
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing wear - engine not run yet Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Use a proper assembly lube. Not that it will necessarily stop the markings but it'll provide a tougher film strength and stay put better than oil.
Oil imo is only ok for the guys throwing it together on the Monday and running it on Tuesday.

Hmmm, i wonder why the same thing happended to me when i used this,

https://www.google.com/search?q=assembly+lube&...KmsBsOP_cM

Just curious not trying to say your wrong or anything Smile
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: