Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto stick conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Hello. I am in central VA. I'd like to convert the autostick to manual transmission on my 72 Super Beetle. Anyone wanna help? Anyone know of a shop in VA that could help me do this? I don't have the know how.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Any shop that works on aircooled VWs can do it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn. Do you know how many hours it's going to take? I'm thinking 10? I'm trying to figure out the cost of labor while I try to assemble the parts.

ML
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

mloret wrote:
Thanks Glenn. Do you know how many hours it's going to take? I'm thinking 10? I'm trying to figure out the cost of labor while I try to assemble the parts.

ML

In a perfect world maybe 10 hrs. I think it will be more. The biggest hurdle is if there is an existing clutch tube in your tunnel. Not sure about the 72’ but not all have a clutch tube and if not that needs to be fabricated and installed. You should be able to take a close look and see if yours has one.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Too bad you aren't closer. I did the conversion 30 or so years ago and am thinking of switching mine back to auto stickshift. Mine did not have a clutch tube.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Yeah Q-Dog, too bad you are that far south. I could use the help!

I'm praying that the clutch tube is there.

Okay, so maybe 15 hours? At $85 and hour, that's $1,275 in labor. Does that seem right?

ML
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

If you aren't happy with the car, why not just sell it and buy a 4 speed? That car looks very nice, you probably would not be out any money doing that vs close to $2k to convert it.
What do you hope to gain from the conversion? I really think lots of folks have a mindset that a 4 speed is going to be way quicker and/or more reliable, and quickly come to find out the cost/benefit ratio is not what they thought it would be.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Hey SB! My car looks nice but it has issues that make it more valuable to me than to a buyer. The top needs some help, the paint is not the best, and of course autostick is a liability. Lot's of SB haters out there too. I miss having a clutch pedal. Rather than having tire kickers tell me what's wrong with my car, I'd prefer to keep it and do the expensive repairs over time.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I could get for the car. I listed it for $7k. Who knows?

ML
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I would do it yourself. Every bug owner should know how to drop the engine and transmission on their car. No better time than now to dive in like the rest of us once did.

Once you (or your expensive mechanic) pull the engine, then be ready for any number of unknown problems to often pop up on these cars. Your estimate might grow.

A real shame that we are losing another autostick. Not a liability but an asset if you know how to maintain it yourself, and it's really not that hard.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I agree... it's not a hard project.

But first confirm it has a clutch tube.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

It's a good point about there not being a better time to drop the engine. I have never done that. I fear that I don't have the equipment.

Is there a way to check for a clutch cable tube without disassembling the car?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Crawl under the back and look. Or raise the rear seat and look there. Knowing what I know now I would not install a tube. Installing the tube requires cutting into the tunnel in two places. Some fabrication and welding skills. Not worth the time and effort. I’ve done these conversions before and I sure as hell wouldn’t do another one too much labor.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Can you tell by removing the shifter.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

It is pretty obvious if you have a clutch tube by looking under the access plate under the rear seat. I have converted two bugs... oh the blasphemy! First was a '68 with the tube, very straightforward. Other was a '71 Super, no tube... it sucked. Had to cut open frame, and hardest part was finding what pipe to use, original pipe is metric. Good luck finding that, so I did plan B. That was using 3/8" gas pipe, guessing on the correct bend inside the tunnel, and grinding the end down in order for the bowden tube to attach properly. A lot more work. Your car, do as you please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

About 35 years ago, I converted my 72 Super Beetle sedan from auto to manual. There was no internet then, so I must have gotten some of my info from the magazines. Fortunately, the clutch cable tube was installed from the factory, otherwise I'm not sure I could have completed the job.
I bought a scrapped 69 for my donor car. From that car, I used the pedal cluster, transmission, and maybe the shift rod. I had to get a nose cone off a different transmission to get it to work, and also get the right combination of throw out bearing, clutch, and pressure plate. It's a miracle that I got that job done, and that car was so much fun to drive - I've always regretted selling it.
Good luck to you!
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Can you tell me where to look under the rear seat? I'm hesitant to remove the shifter, as it's a sensitive mechanism.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Glenn, that's awesome, thank you. I"ll have a look. And that's just under the rear seat huh?
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I just read that a 72 is almost guaranteed to have that tube? Is that true?

M
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I’d trade the car to someone who wants an autostick. A little searching should get you something comparable.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: