Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto stick conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I have a novel solution.

Go buy another vert and put the 2k towards that. Get yourself a manual. Problem solved and in the end you have 2 cars instead of one. You'll be on your way to becoming an official VW pro.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'm a school teacher and I don't have the money to support two old vw's.

M
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

mloret wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm a school teacher and I don't have the money to support two old vw's.

M

Yes, but it is twice as much love. It balances out.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I am grateful that I still have a job and have the means to own a VW. Two would be pushing it, but I do like to dream!

ML
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

The only way this idea works is you get a deal on parts and do the work yourself
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't disagree. I worry that I don't have the know how and I'll wind up with a bucket of bolts in my garage that neither runs or drives.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

mloret wrote:
Yeah, I don't disagree. I worry that I don't have the know how and I'll wind up with a bucket of bolts in my garage that neither runs or drives.

Ok barring that just enjoy the car as is. I know there are folks wanting Autostik and would pay. They even show up here from time to time asking how to covert 4 spd to Autostik. Hold fast take your time ignore the critics you’ve got a nice unique car. Very Happy I’ve owned 3 Autostik cars myself
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Great advice, man, thank you. I think that might be the answer.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I have done the conversion but i was on the performance track “bigger engine” so everything on the engine had to be changed anyway. It is a very big job mine didnt have the clutch tube so cutting and welding were involved. It is a great learning experience if you are dedicated to the cause. If you’re not 100% dedicated dont do it! I understand not wanting an auto but these guys are right about you being better off trading for a manual and obviously there are people who like them. I am completely satisfied and would never go back to an auto but thats me. Here is a link for a conversion kit it doesn’t have everything you will need and there is a $350 core charge. Should give you an idea on Costs. https://socalautoparts.com/product/autostick-conversion-kit-freeway-flyer-72-only/
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a lot. I have tried to set trades up and never been successful. Any advice on that?
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I sold my auto trans to some guys in NC. They use them in their dune buggies with a lot of upgrades so they dont have to ride the clutch up in the mountains they love them. Another guy bought all the other related items . You can probably sale it on the classifieds here but it may take a while. It took me years to get my car done but most of the waiting was money! Like i said before it depends on your level of dedication. If its a daily driver I wouldn’t consider a major undertaking like that but if you can live without it for a while ?
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Not a driver, but wouldn't want it just sitting because I can't figure out wtf to do with it. I think it might more sense to trade with someone. And wait for the little old lady who wants an automatic!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

mloret wrote:
Not a driver, but wouldn't want it just sitting because I can't figure out wtf to do with it. I think it might more sense to trade with someone. And wait for the little old lady who wants an automatic!

That’s an idea but not your only target buyer. More respectfully there are disabled and aging folks out there. One comes to mind a gentleman who had suffered stroke which impacted left side of his body and mainly his leg. I hope he found a car that suited him. There are more positives than negatives.
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Yeah that’s fair. My aging mechanic maintains that they only came out with an auto stick for housewives scared of a clutch pedal. Not very PC!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

mloret wrote:
Yeah that’s fair. My aging mechanic maintains that they only came out with an auto stick for housewives scared of a clutch pedal. Not very PC!

Actually, that's pretty correct. Detroit invented automatic transmissions to get more women to own vehicles.

Me - I MADE my daughters learn to drive stick, first taught on my 1971 VW, then I bought a 1998 Nissan Frontier that was 5-speed manual. So if they wanted to drive, they needed to learn stick. They were the only gals at the high school who could drive stick, and very few guys could.

Mrs. Cusser had had an old VW back in the 1970s, but she's pretty weak on driving stick (and I have 5 stick vehicles); she revs the engine real high when strting off, worries the $%^#$@#^*%^#@#$^&*(%$ crap out of me !!! But she has other attributes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

VWs own ad campaign, I don’t see an old lady mentioned here. I’m aware they did mention it elsewhere though. Shrewd they covered all the bases. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Look at this before it gets deleted
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Just had a guy offer me a nice looking 70 with a manual tranny.

Also talked to a local repair shop and they said that if I can get the parts, they can do the conversion for $1500.

Thoughts?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

mloret wrote:
Just had a guy offer me a nice looking 70 with a manual tranny.

What is the "offer" exactly?

mloret wrote:
Also talked to a local repair shop and they said that if I can get the parts, they can do the conversion for $1500.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are the same as before- you are going to pay close to $2k for the conversion. But you seem hell bent on getting out from under the autostick so whatever I say won't matter.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I believe he's thinking equal trade.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: