Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto stick conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

mloret wrote:
I believe he's thinking equal trade.

Well then go for it, what do you have to lose except the autostick you clearly hate.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

And you wind up with $1500 + parts that you can put into fixing it up.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

idk, doesn't seem like an equal trade. Might be better to get the tranny converted.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/526114320808329/pe...ger_banner
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

mloret wrote:
Just had a guy offer me a nice looking 70 with a manual tranny.

Also talked to a local repair shop and they said that if I can get the parts, they can do the conversion for $1500.

Thoughts?

I don't see any point in doing the conversion if you just plan on selling the car. I would just make sure it is all tuned, serviced, and cleaned up as best you can. I think the few remaining auto stick's should be preserved before they become extinct. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

No, if I had the conversion done, I'd keep mine.

I'm learning toward that course of action.
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

If it's mostly because you're concerned about resale value and reputation with autostick-haters: I wouldn't change a thing. Especially if it is running well.

I converted mine back in the 90's; mostly because the system confused me and I didn't know how to work on it. I wanted to Simplify, and I liked the idea of a manual (and a bit more horsepower).

Now that I'm older and wiser (or at least older), I'd love to own an Autostick again. That thing was fun. Haters be damned. (respectfully)

Have fun!

-Jeremy
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

One of each - the ultimate collection!
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

How would you know which version you would prefer owning if you don't own one of each version? And, VWs like hanging out with other VWs. It is practically a requirement that you can't own only one VW.

Plus, I have heard that having more than one VW makes it easier to justify having bunches of spare parts sitting around. Laughing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I think we’ve all be played by a troll.
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Got a local guy who specializes in Westys that said he can do the conversion for $1500 if I collect all the parts. Not bad, huh? He needs me to check and make sure that car has the tunnel. Problem is my 72 is stuck at another repair shop because trunk won't open. We are going on week 2 for this repair!

Not having that guy do the converstion!
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Go retrieve your car - we'll talk your way through fixing the hood problem.
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to do that. Thanks for your help.

ML
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

You guys have been very helpful.

I think I'm gonna go and get my car and fix the damn thing myself.

The problem as my mechanic describes it (and I believe him) is that for some some reason the hood latch is getting caught in the catch. Even when you pull the release leaver, and the thing retracts (and i have confirmed that the level, cable etc work as supposed to) the thing doesn't come up. It gets caught on the right side for some reason. Maybe something is bent? My mechanic replaced the the penis-like thing on the latch, that didn't work, I am wondering if I should just replace the entire latch? Maybe the hood is bent somehow?

It's a mystery! But not sure why it takes over two weeks to solve.

BTW, the hood is open now. I'm not interested in taking a hack saw to it in the future though.

Very Happy
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Seems like converting the AS is a waste of money. Spend that $1,500 towards a new top. Late convertibles aren't an investment, just keep it clean, original and running well.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

whobba wrote:
Seems like converting the AS is a waste of money. Spend that $1,500 towards a new top. Late convertibles aren't an investment, just keep it clean, original and running well.

Warning: He will pretend like you didn't even post this.
He started a thread asking for opinions, and now is completely ignoring any advice, just trolling right along like a troll.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing what $1500 labor gets. An auto-stick at 70mph will net me about 22mpg. That's more than 20,000 miles of gas money at the current average…… Shocked

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Am I being called a troll?
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Pictures of the hood and front end will help a lot. Has the car been hit?
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Tom,

I'll get those for you when I get the car back in my possession. The car has not been in an accident. No idea what happened. Hood was fine. Car sat in garage all winter. Spring comes and hood won't pop. Maybe the mice bent the hood?

Laughing
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Mystery has been solved. Looks like my car has the clutch cable tube.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: