Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

Thought we could start a fun post.

What have you put off for years (with your bus) that you've finally gotten to?

Also, what do you plan on doing, this upcoming week?
Photos encouraged! Feel free to comment by number below.

I'll get the ball rolling:
1) Finally replaced door seals and felts, LOVE IT.
2) (In process) of fixing 2 rear dents/ block sanding filler
3) Might consider shortening my bumper brackets, they need work anyways, to "tuck" the bumpers in closer to the body.

Stay safe cool peeps!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GeorgeA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

Installed a headliner and new interior in my ‘66

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

Perhaps not the bus, but I did finally get the signs up. My neighbor is likely less than enthusiastic.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

First off...nice bus and great idea for a thread.

As far as your bus plans go, well done on starting back at it. It does feel good to complete something that you've put off far too long.
Your plans for the bumper gap...best investigate that one before diving in.
I know all the hot rod shows make a real point out of taking up that gap. Foose, Kindig and The Count all love to fix that problem.
The problems you'll run into with just shortening the brackets are: splash pan alignment, or support bolt alignment. And, the bumper can't just come closer in one direction. The bumper would need to be cut and shortened to take up the side gap as well or it would just look like it was already in an accident. The level of skill it takes to do this correctly and not look weird is way up there. So, dive in and do it if you want, but go in with your eyes open.

As far as my bus goes, I'm considered essential services and am still working, but with abbreviated shifts. This has given me a bit more time to work on my bus, which is in the ninth year of it's project status.

Stay safe people, you bus won't give you covid, so you know where you should be.

gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

GeorgeA wrote:
Installed a headliner and new interior in my ‘66

Good lord that's hot!
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
First off...nice bus and great idea for a thread.

As far as your bus plans go, well done on starting back at it. It does feel good to complete something that you've put off far too long.
Your plans for the bumper gap...best investigate ....

Yeah the more I look at it, and the corners, it would be a pretty tough challenge, def. more so than looking at it at a glance and be like "Sure I'll just cut off an inch and be done" ha... not quite, interesting idea, probably will keep at cleaning up my body work and finishing my interior.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Perhaps not the bus, but I did finally get the signs up. My neighbor is likely less than enthusiastic.
Laughing Love it!
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

I'm still essential so I've just driven it to work some and to the grocery store.

Driving my Bus is therapeutic. It's my little escape from life's complexities, so driving it has helped me stay sane and keep some normalcy.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

Removed engine and replaced a stripped oil cooler stud, which had let oil into the fan and promptly distributed throughout the engine compartment. Cleaned up whole engine of oil, replace soft lines since I was there and all accessible. Cleaned and adjusted spark plugs, basically checked and cleaned/tightened everything. Reinstalled engine and drove the piss out of it, then had a leaky passenger side valve cover gasket - damnit - replaced that, then continued on driving.

Not quarantined and still working, but the timing was right for something to need fixin’. Going to remove and re-install a rebuilt steering box next weekend, then all tierods, draglink, dampener, and shocks. My double cab gets better maintenance than anything else I own hahaha

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

Well, I had my 65 shipped from storage in Oregon to my new house in Colorado where I'm from. Showed up a few days ago. Got the engine out last night to pull the tins off to replace the oil cooler seals, clean out the heat risers, clean the long block, etc. Got the parts to rebuild the brakes with a dual circuit master in the mail. Hopefully it will be ready to take into the mountains for some social distancing in a few weeks.

npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

I've been driving my bus as much as possible in Poland's beautiful spring weather, but as far as projects are concerned, I wired up my clam shell lights.

Installed and wired my water pump

And installed my breadbox

I also researched and found some of the parts for my future projects.

Looking forward to more inspirational posts, keep up the good work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

Changed oil

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

My bus is at my parent's place 200 miles away, but dad has been cranking away on the cargo doors metalwork! I've knocked out the gauges and some other things on my drift car. My next project is building a Westfalia-style table for my Previa. I may even finally get to the brakes on my 66 bug!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
My bus is at my parent's place 200 miles away, but dad has been cranking away on the cargo doors metalwork! I've knocked out the gauges and some other things on my drift car. My next project is building a Westfalia-style table for my Previa. I may even finally get to the brakes on my 66 bug!

I am looking to do similar, and make my interior, not really a camper, but something a little more "hang out" friendly for outtings, table, or shelving, extra seat across from my "rock n' roll bed/ bench"

That green bus getting up on the the lift, what a great photo!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

tail light holes caught my eye. And frenched lic plate spot.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

Fixed "Joy" as she's called. She was naked. I was bored. I sort of sprung it on her. Pun intended.

I also stuck a neodymium magnet on the bottom to mount her on the dash.

electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
tail light holes caught my eye. And frenched lic plate spot.

Compliments of the previous owner in the 90's. Not something I would have done but I've grown to love her for all of what she is. My bus also had suicide doors (done incorrectly) it was terrible, first thing I changed back as the new owner.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Fixed "Joy" as she's called. She was naked.

She makes all your oilers happy Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Help Help
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

1) Changed out the radio head unit.
2) Started messing with a bamboo headliner (a little different than the usual).

And tonight I'm going to pull the engine to look at the heads/cyls and probably replace them and change out my fuel sending unit.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you done (to your bus) on quarantine? Reply with quote

Help Help wrote:
1) Changed out the radio head unit.
2) Started messing with a bamboo headliner (a little different than the usual).

And tonight I'm going to pull the engine to look at the heads/cyls and probably replace them and change out my fuel sending unit.

Did you buy a bamboo kit or going from scratch? Ive looked into this myself. I tried birch, but I couldnt get it to bend the way I needed, maybe too thick.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: