Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

Yes, it has a stamped apron and it looks legit:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I see no hammer marks anywhere and it lays flat and is smooth. They would have had to spend an enormous time hammering and smoothing that aluminum out.

Why go through all the trouble of stamping the weights and the TYP, but not the VIN???
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

I still think it's the wrong plate for your month/year Bus.

Maybe the VIN plate was missing and someone found an earlier but similar one and flattened the existing VIN #?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Maybe the VIN plate was missing and someone found an earlier but similar one and flattened the existing VIN #?

Maybe.

Here's a 1962 with a very similar tag. Would like to see more 1963 tags.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Maybe.

Here's a 1962 with a very similar tag. Would like to see more 1963 tags.

I think EB may have the ticket.

Did you try searching the gallery for pics??
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

I agree with this, it looks like it's been flattened to me. there are all kinds of small tools that could have been used to do this

AlteWagen wrote:
Clara wrote:

The numbers on this one look odd:

This looks to be the doctored VIN plate on the MG/PW 15window that sold for $200K years back. I believe it was in a big auction in AZ and once the auction company found out about the fake vin they pulled it from the auction. I have not heard anything about it since

teahead wrote:
Not sure if it has been missed in the factory, or if this is a repro tag, or...

In this pic it looks to me like the raised VIN numbers that should be there were hammered down like the previous pic just not restamped with another number. Not sure on post 63 VIN plates but early bus had RAISED numbers not stamped numbers like the fake plate.

I havent seen any of the repro plates with raised number designations. This pic also looks odd where the vin should be.

If there is no stamped number by the apron I would be VERY suspicious of the authenticity of the bus

It may be the photo but there seems to be distortion and hammer marks on the plate. Even looks like some of the text above the number was flattened a bit on the bottom

Does the plate lay perfectly flat on the table or rock a bit?

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

Shine a blacklight on it.
abakrs40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

Here’s one from a 1963.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kaefer-Nostalgie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

Hello Dear Friends,

Hello, hope you are doing ok!

Could you tell me measures?

ID Plates Bus, early and late 63?

Length
With
Distance hole center to hole center.

If you can do it with a picture using a rule I ll appreciate it!

Same size as Beetle ones? I ll really appreciate your help with some examples!

Thanks,

Walter.
We specialize in new and original parts for early Beetles with special focus on pre-1955 models. Our goal is to be able to offer our customers the widest range of parts for their vintage VWs, a goal we have been following since we opened our doors in 2002.

For more information, please contact us:
[email protected]
WhatsApp Business +1-954-393-0857
Kaefer-Nostalgie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

See email

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

Kaefer-Nostalgie wrote:
Hello Dear Friends,

Hello, hope you are doing ok!

Could you tell me measures?

ID Plates Bus, early and late 63?

Length
With
Distance hole center to hole center.

If you can do it with a picture using a rule I ll appreciate it!

Same size as Beetle ones? I ll really appreciate your help with some examples!

Thanks,

Walter.

Don't you guys already make ID plates? The only issue I can see is that you do not make them for the type2. Notice that the ones you do sell for Microbuses all say "Typ 1":

https://kaferlab.com/collections/vin-plates/produc...tion-plate

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

its not the same company
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vintage Pro Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Identification Plate in engine compartment...no VIN? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

That looks to be an original plate off a 61 or 62 bus.
In 1963/64 the Western came off the plate. Also, vw didn’t include the weights on a 63 or early 64 bus.

If, it is a true 1963 bus that is not the correct plate. But if it were maybe a transition year made in the month of August. It could be the correct one, if it wasn’t tampered with where the id number is suppose to go. Vw did some crazy things and it could of simply been left off. Also maybe your bus is a 1962, just registered with the wrong year. By the time it left Germany, got off the boat, landed in the States, and sold off it could of been 1963. The vin needs to be crossed referenced with the m-code plate to find out the birth date.

Removing an original plates embossing work requires skills and not an easy task. Just look at the id plate from the Reworked 200K MGR 23 window, you could still see the numbers.

I have blank id plates that are good for all model VW’s.
The information just needs to be embossed onto the plates for buses.

Having pre-embossed bus plates with just the model number would be very expensive to produce. As, you would need to make them for every model and every year plate.

Unless you have embossing and stamping machines. Which I have, but exact fonts don’t exit today. I common person doesn’t, as they cost thousands of dollars.

JP
“Vintage Pro Werks”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: