Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Spark Plugs To Use
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outrun1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: What Spark Plugs To Use Reply with quote

I have a 79 Westy. Original 2.0L. What spark plugs are you guys running. Bosch Lists the W8CC... And that cross references to another NGK number. How ever, I bought new plugs from my local foreign parts store and they are a NGK B6ES plug. Ran fine with these, but are they correct for the temp rating etc.... Any thoughts?? Nobody else has crossrefereced these plugs to my 2.0 Engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugsy95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: ddd Reply with quote

Check the forums and go down to search there is a lot of stuff there.Dave 1973 bus
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: What Spark Plugs To Use Reply with quote

outrun1984 wrote:
I have a 79 Westy. Original 2.0L. What spark plugs are you guys running. Bosch Lists the W8CC... And that cross references to another NGK number. How ever, I bought new plugs from my local foreign parts store and they are a NGK B6ES plug. Ran fine with these, but are they correct for the temp rating etc.... Any thoughts?? Nobody else has crossrefereced these plugs to my 2.0 Engine.

Good to go .... but because your engine has a specific environment, you will want to check the condition of the plugs after a couple of thousand miles to see that they are indeed cooperating within the heat range of your engine.
Hot plugs get pretty white along the center electrode porcelain while the shell shows black.
(hot lean engines are white at the electrode and the shell is light tan to white as well)
Cold plugs will be deep tan to blackish along the center electrode porcelain.
(hard to distinguish wrong plug from wrong mixture except that cold plugs will be blackish and the fuel economy will still be pretty good)
Colin
outrun1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah my plugs I currently have are colder plugs, I do alot of highway and loaded driving and hill climbs in summer....they performed well so they just have been pulled out after 18,000 miles of driving. they are dark dark brown and black no traces of white at all, no oil on them, except for the number #3 cyl which has her own issues. in my other vehicles and boat plugs always turn white. mileage was so/so but im chalking that up to my many little vac. leaks. Im gonna stick i think with my NGK B6ES OR the same plug with the triple grounds that Jake Raby and German Parts recommend.

edit:

and as far as heat of the engine...over the summer on a 2 week road trip I got stuck inbetween two tractor trailors goin over the berkshires on a long two lane road. bus was fully loaded and my CHT's went to almost 470!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. got to the top pulled off the road and went the diner for about 2 hours. still using the same plugs even after that and anohter 6K of driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI the heat range of a plug refers to how fast it gives up its heat to the head. Too hot can lead to pre-ignition. I use the colder plug because we do freeway driving and trips. It sheds its heat faster. Someone making drives 45 mph and slower all the time is probably Ok with the hotter plugs.
outrun1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i do lots of 55-70 mph driving and usually loaded so i think these plugs im using may be ok after all. never let me down after a lot of abuse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: