Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing a Vanagon from Europe
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have been dabbling in overseas vanagons and have been finding some that seem worth the investment to bring over and import. I however have not expirience in doing so and was wondering if someone could piont me in the right direction to the proper resources or had any advice and things to keep in mind as I went through the process if I so end up doing.

Thank you all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

Busman's name always comes up in regard to this question. I've never used his services but many report good results.

Qiute a few testimonials in reads. Good luck,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?q=vanagon%20busman

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

Busman is adequate, but imperfect in encounters with me and several others.
There are no alternatives I'm aware of that provide similar services, I would use him again if necessary.

Your first order of business it to find the vehicle you want, and contact him about going to look at it. The import process is fairly straightforward especially if you engage someone to file your paperwork for you (I would). Expect to add $3-$8k to the purchase price for the three shipping legs, fees, and duties. Happy to help with more details if you get further in the process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Expect to add $3-$8k to the purchase price for the three shipping legs, fees, and duties. Happy to help with more details if you get further in the process.

I will definitely be keeping you in mind. I am wanting to do a pretty extensive build on a double slider vanagon into a syncro with a westfalia poptop and a custom camping interior of my own design. At this piont I am in the idea phase, but I have a lot of ideas which would probably also blossom into some different classy custom mods for the vans. Gotta raise capital as well as do some more research and strategic planning.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

^^^

Ooh, double-slider...a very interesting build thread under-way here...

1991 Double door pop top conversion
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

The double-slider has so many possibilities. I saw one with a kitchen in the usual location but the open slider created an open kitchen and revealed storage spots accessible when the slider was open for outside gear such as boots or recovery gear.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

I went the Busman route and it was very painless. He did everything on the Euro end and then passed me off to the shipping people. I had to find a local shipping broker to handle this side of the transaction.That was in 2014. I did another import of a Fiat Campagnola 4x4 from Italy in 2018 using an Italian business that specializes in locating and shipping cars. That one was a little more tricky dealing with an out of state broker and extra hoops to jump through with customs. If I had to do it again, I would have looked for a better van and paid extra in better condition to avoid all the $$$ I shoveled into my Syncro in the last 6 years. Here's my build thread if you want to take a dive into that:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=601382&highlight=

I noticed you're in WA. The van will end up in Tacoma after a month on a RORO ship. I have a name of a local shipping broker if you need help.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

Seriously?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-fiat-campagnola/

Add another vehicle to the "someday" list for me. Thanks for nothing.

Agree with the advice to buy the cleanest whip you can source. I bought arguably the nicest/lowest mileage example Flo in existence and paid a premium for it. Still far less than I would have spent stitching together some tin-worm eaten trashbomb. Good luck!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

If you know someone in the diplomatic corp, see if they can bring the van in for you. IIRC, they can bring in one vehicle a year.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Seriously?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-fiat-campagnola/

Add another vehicle to the "someday" list for me. Thanks for nothing.

It's a neat little 4x4 used mostly by the Italian government and military. There's an extended version that I own that's 18" longer than the grey one in the BaT link. 65mph is the max speed from the little 4 banger motor. It's a very tractor like ride with very nice 5 speed transmission. The entire top comes off and the windshield can be flipped down. People do notice it. There's less than a dozen in the states. Got mine for $10k including the shipping. I trying to help someone on the east coast get one, but there's nothing in the $5-8k range. It's either cheap rusted out junk or super pricey restored ones.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

Great! this is all very helpful and I may need to hold off on the dream a little longer. I have a lot of unique modifications that I want to do and have been thinking through a full custom interior I would do on the van that would integrate into a lot of what is already in the van, without compromising the integrity. I have seen a lot of poor vanagon mods over the years and so I want to see how I can capitalize on my design eye and creativity and create some really high quality modifications that solve a problem with the vans without hacking and chopping away at stuff. The end goal is a double slider syncro camper. So we will see how it all shakes out.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

Double slider Syncros are hard to find. I would get in contact with Busman before something pops up so you can get a faster jump on one when they appear on mobile.de. He also might run across one on his travels through Europe before they end up for sale. Who knows. Contact him for his opinion on finding one.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

Here’s a T4 syncro double slider from Busmans site -

https://busmaneurope.com/buy-it-for-you-4x4-vans-for-sale/4x4-vans-for-sale/?car=462

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fire engine red to boot.

I used Busman for importing my Doka from Germany - was listed in his site. I wish I had communicated with the buyer directly then used his services instead of going the route I did - would have been fewer surprises perhaps. He was great on getting it shipped and setup with the shippers - well worth the money there.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

I used Busman for importing my Doka from Germany - was listed in his site. I wish I had communicated with the buyer directly then used his services instead of going the route I did - would have been fewer surprises perhaps. He was great on getting it shipped and setup with the shippers - well worth the money there.

Yes, very accurate.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

I used Busman to ship my syncro single cab. I had found the truck on Facebook and we went to pick it up in Norway. Then we drove it around Germany, went to Syncro30 near Berlin, and had fun driving around. We left it at a friends house near Frankfurt, and Busman picked it up from there. It worked for us.

I was looking to buy another but leave it over there for us to use, but everything is so expensive or rusty, so I found a great deal on one locally that I'm building out to ship over there.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I used Busman to ship my syncro single cab. I had found the truck on Facebook and we went to pick it up in Norway. Then we drove it around Germany, went to Syncro30 near Berlin, and had fun driving around. We left it at a friends house near Frankfurt, and Busman picked it up from there. It worked for us.

I was looking to buy another but leave it over there for us to use, but everything is so expensive or rusty, so I found a great deal on one locally that I'm building out to ship over there.

I have thought about taking a trip to drive one over to busman, how was driving across europe? Where there any import/export stuff you had to do?
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

What do you all think about buying a standard double slider and then getting a donor syncro and doing a conversion? in the end would it be better to just hunt down a double slider syncro and do a pop top conversion?
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

D78Q85V87 wrote:
What do you all think about buying a standard double slider and then getting a donor syncro and doing a conversion? in the end would it be better to just hunt down a double slider syncro and do a pop top conversion?

I think it sounds expensive, time-consuming, and completely not worth it.

And that's the joy of these vans, everyone finds their own niche. As you haven't spelled out why the double slider thing is integral to your plan, it will be hard to give you more than very subjective opinion.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

I converted a 90 automatic camper to Syncro using a donor. It’s a lot of work when it’s going on, but eventually it is to the point where it’s my daily driver. I felt more comfortable with swapping drive train vs swapping the camper roof section. I could not have done it with a complete Syncro donor. Buying a Syncro and doing the hole cut method and mounting the camper top is probably easier for someone with less experience or less money to pay someone to do.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
[quote="And that's the joy of these vans, everyone finds their own niche. As you haven't spelled out why the double slider thing is integral to your plan, it will be hard to give you more than very subjective opinion.

Reasons for the double slider:
1. I just like it and the cool/uniqueness factor.
2. Accessability and offloading people and things and general movement around the van. It wouldn't matter which side you were on you could get in and get what you needed.
3. More options for outdoor spaces with the potential to tripple your living space which would be optimal for trips with 6 or 7 people with everyone able to be inside or close connected to the van.

I think those cover most of my rational. I like the idea of a camper, but I don't like the idea of having to drive everywhere with the camping stuff. So I have plans for a custom camping setup with a modified weekender interior which I have found to be ideal when traveling with people as well as most versatile as two seats easily come out.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Vanagon from Europe Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I converted a 90 automatic camper to Syncro using a donor. It’s a lot of work when it’s going on, but eventually it is to the point where it’s my daily driver. I felt more comfortable with swapping drive train vs swapping the camper roof section. I could not have done it with a complete Syncro donor. Buying a Syncro and doing the hole cut method and mounting the camper top is probably easier for someone with less experience or less money to pay someone to do.

Yeah I think I agree with you. The mechanical stuff does seem harder and WAY above my capabilities not only on a skill basis, but also tools. I do not have the right tools for that job. We will see what how things unfold.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: