Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Swedish Oval Posse
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

Wondering how many Swedish Ovals there are out there in Samba-land?

Mine is a 1956 L227 Strato Silver with Blue fabric upholstery, built in March '56 (speedometer is dated 2/56). The engine is original, per Stiftung, and it was delivered in South Sweden.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

Lovely car Kent.

My Swedish Feb 55:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

I love the originality of your car, mabbo. You're one lucky cuss to have found it Cool . Curious as to the number plates; are they period correct Swedish or modern English registry? Was the "S" oval country code plate on the decklid on the car when you got it (aka, is it likely period correct/authentic)? Also curious if yours has undercoating. It's my understanding that it's common for Swedish-delivery vehicles to have a thick undercoating.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

Forgot to post this little tidbit. It's the Swedish dealer ID tag that's on both front quarter panels. From what I understand, Aktiebolaget, translates to "limited company" or the more modern interpretation, "limited liability company," as relates to the dealer, G. Persson. Laxå, Askersund, Mariestad and Skövde are cities in Sweden, but I'm not sure how Scania-Vabis fits into the mix, as my info relates it to heavy-duty trucks. Maybe someone can shed some clarity on this.

Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

Scania-Vabis Was the agent for VW in sweden in the early days. Like the Max Hoffman for the US.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Scania-Vabis Was the agent for VW in sweden in the early days. Like the Max Hoffman for the US.

Ah. The ol' middleman before direct distributorships were created. Thanks for the info.

mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I love the originality of your car, mabbo. You're one lucky cuss to have found it Cool . Curious as to the number plates; are they period correct Swedish or modern English registry? Was the "S" oval country code plate on the decklid on the car when you got it (aka, is it likely period correct/authentic)? Also curious if yours has undercoating. It's my understanding that it's common for Swedish-delivery vehicles to have a thick undercoating.

Thanks Smile

The number plates are new UK plates. It had the original Swedish (Pre 70 something as I believe they changed) plates when I first got it:

The S is a magnetic badge from https://www.autowares.co.uk/

There is thick underseal all over it:

Previous owner cleaned some off:

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

see here for scania vabis info I found
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735333

swedish cars are known for having thick underseal and is a reason many survive

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

finster wrote:
see here for scania vabis info I found
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735333

swedish cars are known for having thick underseal and is a reason many survive

Thanks for the info. It's like Kevin "Wiggy" posted earlier about scania vabis being the importer (agent) for the Swedish market. I had a conversation with Jan Brundage yesterday and his dad, Hubert Brundage, had to deal with Max Hoffman, the US import agent until he got his own VW and Porsche distributorships for several of the southeastern states including Florida. Interesting stuff!

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

Along the lines of the undercoating, which was apparently commonplace with the Swedish VWs, mine has a cosmoline looking substance brushed on in the spare wheel well and inside front apron area. I wonder if this brown waxy substance was also rust-proofing put on Swedish cars Think

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:

The S is a magnetic badge from https://www.autowares.co.uk/

Clever!

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

this is a pic of perssons dealership in uppsala circa 1965

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

Another common denominator of Swedish-delivery bugs seems to be the stone guards on the front of the rear fenders. The new bug shown in the photo above is clearly sporting the same guard even in the mid-1960s.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

I suspect the stone guards are because there were a lot of country roads without tarmac
like in this video Laughing

Link

mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Another common denominator of Swedish-delivery bugs seems to be the stone guards on the front of the rear fenders. The new bug shown in the photo above is clearly sporting the same guard even in the mid-1960s.

As far as I know there are 2 styles of stone guards. One smooth, and one with the 3 ribs like I have fitted to my car. The smooth ones are most popular, and the ribbed ones are from a certain part of Sweden, North I think but im not sure on that. I know mine should have the smooth ones but they were missing when I bought the car so just fitted the ribbed ones for now.

Im not sure if they should have any wing beading behind them around the top? Iv seen cars with and without the beading.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:

As far as I know there are 2 styles of stone guards. One smooth, and one with the 3 ribs like I have fitted to my car. The smooth ones are most popular, and the ribbed ones are from a certain part of Sweden, North I think but im not sure on that. I know mine should have the smooth ones but they were missing when I bought the car so just fitted the ribbed ones for now.

Im not sure if they should have any wing beading behind them around the top? Iv seen cars with and without the beading.

I noted your ribbed kind and thought maybe they were an earlier style. Mine was delivered in Southern Sweden and wears the Orkano Stainless smooth style with a bead along the top only; note the Orkano Stainless logo in the corner. From what I have been able to ascertain thus far, the Orkano Stainess ones are specific to the Swedish market but not sure if they were exclusively for the Swedish market or used elsewhere. A buddy of mine recognized them immediately when he saw the car and identified them as "those stupid Swedish stone guards Rolling Eyes ." His body is buried in the back yard but don't tell anyone Shhh.
KIDDING! ...ish

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Swedish Oval Posse Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I suspect the stone guards are because there were a lot of country roads without tarmac
like in this video Laughing

Link

Cool video! I wish it were more clear to showcase the accessories like the fog lamp on the left front of one of the cars.

Kinda fun to see Chef Gordon Ramsay pick up his car from the service shop at the end of the video Razz

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: