Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Confusion on my Buggy, Can't ID
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marlinmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Brake Confusion on my Buggy, Can't ID Reply with quote

I think I posted this in Gallery by mistake. I'll try again. New to this...

Anyhow, I'm restoring a Manx buggy, and in trying to rebuild the brakes, I have had trouble figuring out which parts to get. Probably a mishmash of years on this thing, like other parts I've run into. It's a linkpin beam, and transaxle rear end.
Part numbers:

front 111 405 615 also,10.7.57,if that is significant. Has double bolt cylinder

Rear 113 501 616C single bolt cylinder.

Maybe someone with more experience can look at these and say Ah Ha! Maybe a clue that I'm not aware of in there somewhere....

Thanks for any help!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Confusion on my Buggy, Can't ID Reply with quote

https://www.mooreparts.com/empi-113-501-615d-vw-rear-brake-drum-type-1-bug-karmann-ghia-1958-67/

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-405-615-B

those are VW PNs, used by VW parts suppliers.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Confusion on my Buggy, Can't ID Reply with quote

Your rear brakes are from I think 1965 to 1967 because of the brake shoes have a angle on end that fits into adjuster that has angle on it too. Earlier brakes shoes from 1958 to I think was 1964 used adjusters with straight ends where shoes fit.
Front brakes are 1957 and earlier, I not remembering how early at the moment.

Yes with buggies you never know what you will find that has been done to them by people using the parts they had.
Also the rear bearing retainer/ seal retainer the end that sticking out further is for if seal starts leaking oil with go out backing plate instead onto the shoes. You should see a hole in backing plate that matches up with the hole in the retainer at the bottom.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Confusion on my Buggy, Can't ID Reply with quote

VW XXX-XXX-XXX (plus alfa character) part numbers whenever possible...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Confusion on my Buggy, Can't ID Reply with quote

By "transaxle" did you mean "swingaxle"? ALL VWs have a transaxle. Even front wheel drive VWs have a transaxle. That's where the transmission and differential/axle are in one housing.

That rear drum is a 1966 or 1967 drum. The rear brake backing plate is lacking the parking brake cable and lever arm and cross bar.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marlinmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Confusion on my Buggy, Can't ID Reply with quote

Yes indeed, swing axle is what I meant. and thanks! I finally figured out the brake parts and got them ordered. First time dealing with brakes, it definitely got interesting!

Is it terribly difficult to add an entire parking brake setup? Mine is completely gone, except for the tubes through the frame with the (Cut off) cables inside.
I see various pieces available, but lack the "Overview". Is there a kit available?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Confusion on my Buggy, Can't ID Reply with quote

Replacement hand levers are available new from EMPI. Chrome is an option. The bracket at the tunnel could easily be fabricated of bar stock or cut off a pan that is being cut up for building a rail or something. The cable assemblies are available new also.. The parts inside the drum are sure to be available from other in the classifieds or via the forums here. And that's about all there is to it

As an entire kit...nope.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: