Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

Gents-

I thought the strap tacked on the inside wheel well was for the washer fluid bottle. But mine has the kind that attaches to the tire.

What would be put there? I don't know what to search for.

Thank you
-Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

Charcoal canister

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...686e1507b3

Edit: just has another look at your photo. See my second post.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked

Last edited by Xevin on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

And details of the whole system

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...4b34d96f50

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

I have never heard of this ... thanks for the thread....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

Xevin... do people still use this? Do you know if I could live without it? I don;t mind chasing one down, just curious hos "serious" the component is.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
I have never heard of this ... thanks for the thread....

Please use second link for the info. Should make more sense.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

Doing some reading on the thread Xevin posted... (thanks to AlmostHeavenWV_VW, lot of work)

Looks like the straps I am referring too are actually the expansion chamber and the charcoal canister goes on the right and rear side of the beetle. One more item to search for... great thread.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:

Looks like the straps I am referring too are actually the expansion chamber and the charcoal canister goes on the right and rear side of the beetle. One more item to search for... great thread.

Yep. Caught myself when I read your post title a second time Embarassed Laughing
Big thanks to AlmostHeaven for that great write up and being an all around good guy.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

Almostheaven is awesome. I have learned a lot from him. And having a 1973 Standard Beetle like him, helps !!!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:

It was my understanding the early models that used one (I think maybe 70-71, not sure) the charcoal canister WAS located in the hood and that's what your strap is for.
Is that not the charcoal canister itself in the photos in AlmostHeaven's thread?

I have always thought the expansion chamber was something completely different- it was the long tubular plastic piece that sits under the top back side of the dashboard inside the trunk.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
markeaton wrote:

I have always thought the expansion chamber was something completely different- it was the long tubular plastic piece that sits under the top back side of the dashboard inside the trunk.

Ya sb001....I am still going through all the threads to see the parts I need and position for everything. A lot of work ahead of me I had no idea I had awaiting me Smile
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:

Ya sb001....I am still going through all the threads to see the parts I need and position for everything. A lot of work ahead of me I had no idea I had awaiting me Smile

Here is another thread that might help you out if you hadn't come across it already:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

Yes thanks.... It was embedded in Almostheavens.... so much great information here to the novice guys like me.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

My 70 had one inside the trunk and another inside the passenger rear wheel well area. I took them both off and ground off the straps. Makes the fuel system muuuuuuuch simpler!
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

Double Double.... did you gauge what they were like prior and after? Any noticeable difference? Just curious....
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this strap? In trunk - (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Double Double.... did you gauge what they were like prior and after? Any noticeable difference? Just curious....

Negative. Car hasn’t run in a year or greater... (current state of car)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

However, if the system is working properly and not clogged you shouldn’t get any noticeable difference whatsoever. I got rid of my system and converted to an earlier 30 PICT-1 carb so I could get rid off all this and the altitude correction and throttle position emissions garbage. I want my car as simple as possible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: