Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
a single down pipe may be fine power wise and would certainly simplify things.

I used the leftover single-outlet "toilet bowl" manifold and downpipe from my '83 Scirocco on the ABA/JH hybrid in the Bus and had absolutely no complaints about the power from that motor. It's a more restrictive design than the dual-outlet versions, which cuts higher-RPM horsepower, but in a loaded camper you need torque at lower engine speeds, not at 5000+RPM

I have no complaints about the toilet bowl on my 50º So far, crack free exhaust.

Uber.

Man, I'm really digging that ABA intake work you've done. Like not just the fit under the lid thing but having better access to the spark plugs. On my engine, dirt seems to gather at the area around the plugs and cleaning that out before plug removal is kind of a small PITA with the stock cross flow setup.

I sure wish I had a shop of my own so I could try my hand at some TIG.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Thanks Neil. While easier to get to, the spark plugs still collect funk because of the 50 degree angle of the install. I did an engine wash earlier to try and get all the mud off that went everywhere when I was testing my mini locker, and was surprised to see how much pooling there was. Not a big deal since everything is sealed, but it was something that I wasn't expecting.

Tig welders are going down in price and up in features, you should get one! Mine isn't anything special, just an old workhorse from the 80's. A Lincoln Tig250 that weighs about 500 lbs!
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I finally got around to finishing my catch can routing, as well as picking up some hose for the brake system vac assist. Aside from installing my oil cooler, which will take place with the next oil change, all the plumbing is done!

I've been running an obd2 Bluetooth scanner and the Torque app with this engine and it's been really nice seeing real-time data. It helped me substantially when I was trying to bleed the coolant system but I didn't really like using my phone for it as I had to open the app everytime I wanted to use it. I wanted something more permanent that was on when the key was. There are a few options any more but I ended up with with the tried and true ScanGauge2.

After I drilled a hole in the bottom of my cluster to route the extension cable, the unit fit quite nicely in the cluster with a couple strips of supplied Velcro.
I also reset my mileage to reflect the engine's mileage. I had to look back in my notes from years ago to find what it was. I thought it was 140k, but it's 120k...bonus!

While the cluster was out, I took this opportunity to fix the broken mounting tabs with a little help from Uniwerks Design. I used some plastic adhesive to glue them on, but it's not necessary. I just like that they stay with the cluster now and I don't have to go searching for them next time the cluster is removed.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Small update:

I have around 600 miles on this engine now (wish I had more) and it's been running pretty well, although not without a few issues.

I felt like I was losing power after driving it over the course of a week and upon investigation, it turned out my throttle cable housing started to slip through the grommet at the intake mount and the cable became slack. I was only opening the throttle plate partially by the week's end. Scan gauge data to the rescue! My throttle position sensor was in the low 30's (full open at 75, whichever units they may be) so I readjusted and added an FI clamp and washer to keep the housing put.

I also replaced a cam seal that was seeping (nothing exciting there) and gave the body a little love.

It's always surprising to me to see the stock single stage paint come back to life after a little clay and polish.

As for the exhaust, well, it's too loud. It has some rasp that I'm determined to rid, especially from 2-3k RPM. I went ahead and ordered up a stainless resonator to help quiet it down:

Also, I've been quite happy with my Mini Locker in the transaxle. I've been in a few spots now where I'm pretty sure I wouldn't of made it through had I not had it. A little tire chirping noise still during sharp, slow speed corners on dry pavement but other than that it basically hides itself from being audible. I do wish I had a granny low gear though. I've powered out on rough roads already and slipping a dmf clutch isn't very eventful.

And...Vangaroo!

Last edited by uberaudi on Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:

It's gonna be a trick to squeeze that resonator in there.
Probably have to move your muffler further down the tailpipe and put it right before the muffler.

While I haven't actually driven my van yet to see how loud it's going to be, you might look into the 6 inch diameter magnaflow muffler I used.

The body is only 14 inches but maybe the diameter will do the trick coupled with the resonator.

I have a cat in my set up and am hoping that will quiet it down enough to not be super annoying.

Also I am curious if you have any kind of hanger on your tailpipe.

My muffler is mounted significantly differently than yours but it seems I am going to need a hanger out at the end of the tail pipe to keep it from being too floppy.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Damn that looks great! I like how your twin downtubes are tucked. Mine are slightly higher than the lowest point on the engine (the fragile oil pan) but visually I wish I tucked them more. A Cat is most certainly out of the question with my setup.

I ordered the resonator based on the lack of space I created and incorporating it will require a different approach to the mounts. I may have to attach directly to the resonator rather than the joining tubing but I'm not entirely sure quite yet. Shouldn't be an issue and I'm sure this won't be it's last iteration.

I'm using the factory engine mount and oilpan bracket (along with the three rubber isolators) for the exhaust mounts but adapted to my setup with standard exhaust clamps.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Yeah I did a turn towards the engine first before sending the pipes forward towards the CVs then back the way they needed to go.

Of course I am running an AEG manifold and completely custom engine mount so it's tough to really compare the two.

I have some bars that need to attach to my engine mount cross bar and go forward and mount to the frame again to form the base for my engine and trans skid plate so I wanted to get the exhaust up as high as possible.

For the record I did steal a lot of your specs as far as secondary pipe diameter and length as well as the rest of the main exhaust diameter.
I don't have any valve work done but I am running the TT "270" cam with a matching chip along with an adjustable came gear, the AEG intake and exhaust manifold.

I accidentally bought a 2.5 inch muffler so I had to run some 2.25 to 2.5 adapters but it all worked out pretty well.

With my custom engine mounts you can see how high I was able to stuff my exhaust.

Of course with the AEG intake I had to drop the engine and trans quite a bit to make it clear the deck lid.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Those engine mounts look like they'll do the trick, especially when you add a turbo down the road. Looks like your already planned ahead with the turbo drain pan.
Even though I'm quite happy with my ABA conversion, I'm certain a turbo would make it that much better. The hills and headwinds still put up a fight and slapping a 'chip tune' on an ABA is about as easy as it gets while maintaining stock reliability. I wouldn't mind a little more power... like 200hp tops, I swear, hahaha.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

For sure a low boost turbo set up is definitely in the works.
I just need that little something extra for the mountains.

Still trying to decide if I want to mod or build an intake much like you have.

It would be nice to raise the engine back up and gain two more inches of ground clearance.
However, I figure with a 2wd I'm not going to be doing any rock crawling and with a decent skid plate I should be able to go most places I need to go.

I am sort of coming to the conclusion that having the dropped engine and trans set up might be a better option on a lifted van for the sake of CV joint angles.

My van is lifted but not so high that I would likely see any CV joint issues so who knows what the right answer is.

I guess I'll never know until I get some miles on it.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I finally changed out the break-in oil on this mystery transaxle I've been running and filled it up with some Swepco 202 after reading positive reviews about it on this forum. Thanks Ron!
The plug magnet doesn't seem terrible, but I'm no expert.

Thoughts?
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Great build and awesome van. Love that color combo with the AW top.

Given the work you did, is it safe to assume you made that rear bumper yourself too? Looks sweet!
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Hey thanks Slimvest, it's been good to us over the years and it's finally starting to get polished up (literally).

I did make the rear bumper. The original intent was to have it slim enough to fit behind the stock rear bumper, but then halfway through the build the look grew on me and decided to keep it as is. It is most certainly over built...for better or worse.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I had a window of time over the weekend so I started reconstructing my exhaust to add a resonator and hopefully get rid of the rasp. Some chopping and fitting got me mocked up.

The Flowmaster muffler I'm using is actually stainless but came painted by mistake. Actually I was sent the wrong part twice, but needed to keep making progress during the build so I ended up keeping it. It was only a matter of time before some paint stripper took care of that.

I ordered the largest resonator that could fit the space I had but that left me minimal room to join everything together. I didn't want to sacrifice any strength between components and so by chopping excess flange material away from the muffler and resonator, and using sleeved connections, I was able to finagle it together while maintaining strength.

You never really know what works and what doesn't when choosing a new, unfamiliar muffler but I have to say that with the addition of the resonator this Flowmaster Hushpower now sounds great! The rasp is all gone and the drone I was experiencing from 3800-4000 rpm (previously mistaken when I said 2-3k) has been eliminated. A much smoother, quieter sound all around. Some last minute sheet metal gussets later and the weekend was over!

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

What a beauty!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I've been commuting in this van for a bit now and finally have a grasp on some mpg numbers. To reduce variables, I used the same gas pump, same low level click and didn't top off.

I ended up with 20.7 mpg!

This is driving 65-70mph, 50 miles a day with a few thousand feet of elevation gain each day. I'm sure on flats at a lower elevation I could gather even more. Considering my old 1.9 never got 20mpg, I feel like this swap will actually pay for itself eventually...right? That's what I'm telling my wife anyways Smile
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
I've been commuting in this van for a bit now and finally have a grasp on some mpg numbers. To reduce variables, I used the same gas pump, same low level click and didn't top off.

This is driving 65-70mph, 50 miles a day with a few thousand feet of elevation gain each day. I'm sure on flats at a lower elevation I could gather even more. Considering my old 1.9 never got 20mpg, I feel like this swap will actually pay for itself eventually...right? That's what I'm telling my wife anyways Smile

Without a doubt, the I-4s are more fuel efficient than the WBX'ers. Hard to argue with more power and better mileage! Laughing
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I concur!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:

Sounds like its running great. Nice. My '81 ABA gets about the same with the stock 14" or near stock diameter 15" tires and WBX manual transmission. 87 octane. Best was 22 per US gallon but then I rarely do 70. Haven't checked MPG on the '88 ABA but am curious to see what it is.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of fuel mileage could be achieved in the 98 jetta that my engine came from.
However, I do have a 2004 jetta with a 2.0L and an auto trans and it can get 25-27 depending on speed on the highway.
It weighs a bit over 3000 lbs

My van probably weighs 3600 lbs as it was one of the lighter versions available.
My tire size is such that the RPM at 65 ish is about the same as the RPM in my Jetta at 65 ish.

I have always been secretly hoping for 20mpg with my lightly tweaked ABA swap.

I figured the few extra ponies from my engine mods might account for the additional weight and the slightly less aerodynamic shape
of my van over the Jetta.

Then, assuming a little loss in mileage from working a bit harder and making more power, I concluded that 20mpg was the number I was shooting for.

After reading others results I am anxious to find out.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
I don't know what kind of fuel mileage could be achieved in the 98 jetta that my engine came from.

EPA rating for '98 Jetta 2.0/5MT is 21/28MPG, but those numbers are usually optimistic IMO.

EPA rating of my '98 Passat 1.8T donor is 20/29, but I'm usually lucky to get 21MPG on the freeway at typical cruising speed of 70-75MPH even with the 5-speed Passat 'box. Which is about the same MPG I used to get with the ABA/JH hybrid and stock Bus 4-speed that came before the 1.8T but at 60-65MPH with the engine wound out to 4000-ish RPM. I've seen as high as 25MPG with the 1.8T/5-speed combo when I kept the speed down around 55 on flat-ish secondary highways, but doing that speed on the freeway is liable to get you run over in a lot of places.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: