Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

The best I had gotten was a whopping 24 mpg headed home on I5 from Canada after Dela4, cruising speed was 65 and my afr gauge was reading an average 15.2.
Stock syncro running 215/75/15, ABA-T
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
The best I had gotten was a whopping 24 mpg headed home on I5 from Canada after Dela4, cruising speed was 65 and my afr gauge was reading an average 15.2.

Mmmmm. ABA-Teeeeeeee (in my best Homer Simpson voice)
You can bet that the turbo part of my built will come very shortly after I get my pile running and on the road.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:

Mmmmm. ABA-Teeeeeeee (in my best Homer Simpson voice)
You can bet that the turbo part of my built will come very shortly after I get my pile running and on the road.

You do have to recalibrate your right foot with the turbo. I found with mine that I get about the same mileage, in some situation even 1mpg more, than with the NA version if I drive it the same. If I drive it like it begs to be driven, well, almost no mileage is too low Dancing

Took a while for reality to reassert itself...
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I bet! Are you using the quick and dirty chip tune, injectors, and 3" maf setup or are you on standalone?
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
I bet! Are you using the quick and dirty chip tune, injectors, and 3" maf setup or are you on standalone?

Well I am not sure yet.
Word is on the streets that the stock set up can run a low boost (5-7 lbs) turbo arrangement with zero modifications.
I was thinking about trying that but a friend and I are wanting to get into some microsquirt stuff for some other projects so maybe this is the time to get into all that.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:

If you're replying to me, I'm not running an ABA - I was going to go that route originally, but ended up working much more than I thought (meaning road warrior life) so I started looking for turnkey packages and ending up with the FAS GenV which is an AVH engine. They developed the setup and tune with drive by wire. Mine has the smallest frame Precision turbo, and is intercooled. My waste gate (external) is set at 14 psig, but I normally see around 2 psig just running around town. Personally, I very rarely ever exceed 5K RPM and the most boost I have at that rpm is 9'ish depending on throttle angle.

You really don't need much boost to get some really significance performance improvement.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I started off obd1 w/ a chip an eBay turbo manifold and a T25 Saab turbo. This evolved slightly but died to the potential from obd2, also chipped from UM. Fred had de-tuned his shelf tune but yes this was the larger maf, injectors.

I then got the Audi intake and wanted to hybrid-ize, I sold off the obd2 stuff and manipulated the AEB 1.8T harness. This is working and so far I'm not convinced I can't make it better....I'll be going stand alone shortly, wide band and map based,I can't wait.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Exhaust drone can make anyone go insane after enough miles of listening to it.
So was the case for me and the latest exhaust I worked (reworked) up for this ABA swap. After a few hundred miles the inexpensive Amazon resonator decided to stop fulfilling it's duty and the terrible noise returned. Drone. A brain hemorrhaging harmonic that ranged from 3.5-4k...my typical cruising rpm. Something had to be done.

I found a muffler from Vibrant that seemed to advertise what I wanted. Stainless, center in and out, and packed to the brim with stainless sound absorbing material. So I ordered up two of them. Inspired by VWhammer's hose clamp muffler strap method, I went to work on the new mounts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also beefed up the factory oil pan exhaust bracket with another factory mount as I noticed the old style single plane mount was taking a beating and was about to fail.

Here's the old setup in front and the new Vibrant's in the back. They basically fit in the same space, but the new cans are on either side of the crank pulley instead of occupying the space in front of it.

Mounts ready to go

New exhaust strapped up with stainless bands

The worst thing about exhaust work is you really don't know how loud or quiet it's going to be until you're done, but I'm fairly satisfied with how it turned out. I lost a little ground clearance, but I also lost the drone which was my main objective. The reinforced mounts should hopefully keep it together, longer, but you never really know do ya?

In two days I leave for a 2k+ mile desert trip for some solid backroad shenanigans. If it survives that, then I'll deem it a success.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:

In two days I leave for a 2k+ mile desert trip for some solid backroad shenanigans. If it survives that, then I'll deem it a success.

Damn that's pretty. Stop by Denver on your trip and re-do my exhaust for me? Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

I wonder if oval cans at 45 degrees (overhanging) would have gotten you your departure angle back.

Really pretty work. Looks great.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

That's a whole lot of muffler and your mounts look way more thought out and beefier than mine.
I assume that they are aluminum?

For mine I just kind of winged it and got what I got but hopefully mine hold up.

Are those the factory style vibe isolators you are using?
My isolators are a bit finicky when trying to get the bolts tight on them so maybe I should look at some of those.

Since I still have not started mine yet, I am hoping that the cat in my system coupled with the muffler is quiet enough but I suspect it's going to be pretty loud.

I like the idea of a straight through style muffler for performance but perhaps one of the big round truck style mufflers that some people have used would be better at making it quieter.

I have even considered building my own muffler so I can make it fit and sound the way I want but as you mentioned it's hard to say what it will sound like until it is done.

Anyway your system looks pretty nice.

4x4 build
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Wow! That's way prettier than it needs to be, and beefy too.

I still need to figure out how to hang my exhaust from the engine, rather than the body. My 15 degree install will require outriggers to carry the exhaust like yours.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

That looks really well done, nice work! I've got a porter resonator and its surprisingly smooth but my van is still built like a WW2 bomber (tin can). I'm hoping when the interior is done it'll quiet.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I wonder if oval cans at 45 degrees (overhanging) would have gotten you your departure angle back.

Really pretty work. Looks great.

Without a rear bumper that might net you a bit more departure angle.

With my stock fiberglass bumper in place, I did mess with an oval muffler when building my exhaust and was not really able to see any gain by trying the muffler at an angle.

4x4 build
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

As usual, super great fabrication! That mid point access to pulley is a great idea.

Some unsolicited thoughts. Wink

Are wide exhaust mounts meant to help stabilize motion of the resonators to prevent possible "premature" failure at tube between resonators?

That added 4th isolator should really help. ?Waldo? has done same. My 50º ABA DV type exhaust recently had the single passenger side isolator fail early.

I now feel a bit of a wiggle play at my longer than stock tail pipe on Ernst 1.9 WBX muffler. I now wonder if a long tail pipe invites premature wear either at outlet tube to muffler body or at some point inside muffler.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

I now wonder if a long tail pipe invites premature wear either at outlet tube to muffler body or at some point inside muffler.

I went through the trouble of making a long tail pipe only to bail on it at the last minute as it certainly seemed like it would be an added stress on the rest of the system and I did not want to build a mount that hung only the tail pipe from the body.

Quality exhaust materials help but I feel that building an exhaust is all about allowing for expansion and contraction of the whole system as well as eliminating low frequency vibration.
I guess that seems totally obvious now that I have said it.

4x4 build
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

this thread is awesome.

I like the back bumper a lot. especially those fat tow hooks.
What are the ports to the right of the license plate? nice frame btw
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words fellas!

Even though redoing the back section is somewhat of a time consuming ordeal, it is satisfying when it's complete...as long as this is the last time damnit. I'll be using the other 'gen2' setup for a 1z tdi
swap which will also mount at 50 degrees using most of the same componants. It should be a bolt in affair. So technically, I didn't really waste any effort since I would have to make a new system for the other swap right? Riiiigghhht...

The mounts are 1/8 x 3" steel strap, with a few dimples for good measure. I've been trying to add structure and reduce weight in more and more of my projects and dimples do a good job at that. The reason I went so wide is because of the two factory mounts on the driver's side. In order to cover them both with the same width of material, I had to go to a wider 3". I figured additional surface area that the cans rested on would only help. Because they're boxed and only 1/8", the mounts are surprisingly light for how torsionally stiff they are. I hope these are the last ones I'll need to fab.

The driver's side factory rubber mounts were still in good shape so they got reused, but the single passenger one was torn. I have a feeling that the longer tailpipe influenced its destruction. So now, I'm using four of the factory mounts. Last time I ordered they were about 10 bucks a pop....not something I want to burn through every 4k miles.

The mounts and muffler system are most definitely stiffer all all-round then the previous version. Hopefully they still have enough compliance so other components don't get overworked.

The bumper is about 50lbs overweight but the price for the material was right, therefore throwing the whole 'lightweighting' idea out the window. Those clevis mounts are 1" thick lol...I don't even think hardcore Jeepers need that level of beef. The top 'port' is the Schrader valve for the Hi-Jacker air shocks, and the lower one is the trailer connection. The plate frame came from a junkyard Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Where are you on your 1Z project. I just want to be sure I can get my act together and not impede your progress with the small part I'm playing. I can't wait to see what you do with that project.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Uberaudi's lo-pro ABA swap Reply with quote

Had some unexpected house projects come up so the van got pushed out to the driveway again. I hoping by the end of summer it will be driving out of the garage....lots to do yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: