Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

Question... You'll notice some holes and a bit of rust on the area where the filler neck seal goes. Problem is, when i put around the actual metal filler neck to adhere to the "opening", the lack of metal and rot does not make a tight fit.

So I searched and found this item (M&T Mfg). Does this item allow me to take out and replace for a clean fit? If so, I am thinking some welding is needed.

Thank you
-Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

Or... I wonder if there is some sort of adapter that can be bolted around the "circle" to allow for a tight fit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

I'd make a round repair patch out of galvanized roofing material or similar, drill 4 holes in it, and sandwich that in. 3 of the holes will hold that in place, and allow the 4 the hole to function. Maybe some Permatex Aviation on the sealing surfaces NOT RTV.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

Good idea Cusser.... I got your response while I was in Home Depot and bought a piece. Good timing Smile
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

Cusser... if your still reading this post, another question please ...

I re-read your response. I think I might be missing something. The filler neck and assembly has no holes to be screwed into.

Is there another component that I need? I thought the seal simply slid over the end (towards me in photo) and then feeding it from the backside, into the round round to seal?

I thought the PO drilled the holes as an extra way to secure.

Thank you

jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

I think you're correct, Mark. Those holes aren't original.

I just bought a panel to replace the same exact rust on my '73 Super Beetle.
I can't vouch for the fit of that aftermarket panel, but I know that it is held in with (7) spot welds like this:

I haven't installed it yet, but there a few more pics on my build page.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=420

I thought about welding in a patch with a clean round hole, but it seemed easier (and cleaner) to simply replace the whole panel.

Good luck!

-Jeremy
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy. That is helpful.

Part of me want to replace, to be cleaner as you say, but I'd have to cut the old one and weld (which I don't do) in the new one. And the other part of me wants to do as Cusser suggested.

I'll make up my mind this weekend for sure.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

If welding is not an option for you, consider using a metal bonding adhesive instead.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

mukluk... good idea... although I should have mentioned a friend of mine down the street does weld and has always offered help if needed. So long as I provide what he says is "normal beer" Smile
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

We are painting a car as we speak that we did that repair on. Yeah, drill out the spot welds and weld in the new piece. If Iwasnt fixing it right, I would have pondered fiberglassing the back side after removing the rust or something along the lines of what Cusser suggested.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
...I think I might be missing something. The filler neck and assembly has no holes to be screwed into.

Is there another component that I need? I thought the seal simply slid over the end (towards me in photo) and then feeding it from the backside, into the round round to seal?...

The metal filler neck is only held in by the rubber seal. If I remember correctly, I took off the (brass?) fitting for the 12mm vent line and fit the filler neck in from the outside until the rubber seal was in place correctly, got the neck into the large connector hose, then reinstalled the vent fitting.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

huh...timing is everything. I did just do that KPF... and it did fit in. Better than I thought. So much so that the holes are gone and it is really snug.

I will say though, that the original neck seal has a slight groove holding it. The new one I bought does not. I might just keep the original.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

That neck filler seal is not a “seal”. It’s purpose is to prevent vibration and chafing. That’s why it would have been unnecessary to replace the metal with a new MTG one.

You might want to sand a little, prime and paint the area, however to prevent it fro rusting more.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas door/Filler neck area - quick question (photos included) Reply with quote

Thanks Tim.... I am planning to do that. I actually had a local paint store make me both spray and a jar of exact matching paint... wasn't cheap Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: