Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weird contraption on generator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oct52zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

Hi I wonder if anyone might know what this does or may have seen anything like this before it's welded onto the fan nut on the end of my generator. I've probably got 30 thousand miles on the car and it's not affected anything but I've always wondered what it's for. If anyone could enlighten me that'll be great .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

Wow, Wonder what whoever made it was trying to have it do? It obviously conserves momentum. Looks like it needs Oil. Maybe increases MPG's.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

Is it an early clutch device to disengage the fan. Maybe during warm up?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
chthemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

could it be a homemade balancer where weights screw into those holes
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

Whatever it is, it can't be doing any favors to the rear generator bearing ! Might be something that someone forgot to remove ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Whatever it is, it can't be doing any favors to the rear generator bearing ! Might be something that someone forgot to remove ?

Have to agree with genel3c, this will cause vibration problems and I would be removing it. Get some new bearings into it and check the bearing bore for wear.
Oct52zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and ideas what it could be. It's now been removed. I couldn't get my grinder to reach the welds on the nut so had to chop it up into bits. I was wondering if it was fitted to an industrial engine at some point . I guess the only guy that knows is the one who made and fitted it.
yellowcrawler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

It reminds me of a speed governor. It looks like the weights were removed. As the speed would increase, the bar in the center would slide away from the generator, towards the spring from centrifugal force. But why was it done?
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

If it was a governor of some kind, I doubt it would fit into an engine compartment, so the industrial engine theory would make sense.
Wade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

OK. I'll play. Smile. I say that the stock rear fan nut that you can see has been gutted such that it somehow holds the fan simply by pressure from the added spring thing. So, when the fan gets going fast enough, the centrifugal force of the weights on the device pull the nut rearward, thereby releasing the fan and letting it spin freely.

Not sure why you'd want to do that, but it's all I can come up with.

-Greg
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

Oh,Oh! I have a guess! I think it might be some sort of ball governor missing the weights (balls). But instead of dis-engaging the fan it would push on a rod fitted into the hole on the end of the shaft. As the speed increased the more it pushed. As to what the rod was connected to... Throttle? Some sort of homebuilt flyball tachometer? Who knows.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

Yes thats a centrifugal governor. But if its welded to the nut which is screwed onto the dynamo shaft then its not releasing the fan, so I expect there was a rod down the centre that engaged with something. Might have beed an industrial engine set up at some point. Maybe a speed vs load device.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

Clean it up a little bit. After you have it cleaned up hold the pulley where the belt connects and then try to turn it to see if it puts pressure on the spring.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird contraption on generator Reply with quote

That spring looks pretty well compressed already. The problem is with this contraption being in the situation it is, it will impede the airflow into the eye of the fan, and reduce the output. Appears to have been designed and built by a certain Mr Heath Robinson!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: