Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SS100 "replica" Kit Kar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I got the battery hold down bolts trimmed, and I fitted a stout ground strap.

Since the starter and coil were wired, that prompted me to crank the engine over for the first time in 18 mos. WooHoo!

It spun freely, and almost fired, but the fuel system is empty until tomorrow's leak test. Also an oil change is needed before I run the engine. The dipstick is a quart high and smells like varnish.

I think the electric fuel pump was overwhelming the carb needle, and pouring gas down the intake into the sump. That pump is shelved for now, so I hope the stock pump will pump. It was un-hosed when I got the car.

I am praying it's OK, and the stock system was just suffering from air leaks.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

A stock pump is all you need. Simple quiet and pretty maintenance free although the aftermarket replacements warrant checking fuel pressure these days. They tend to be too high.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Can I just add gaskets to reduce the stroke?

I automatically assumed this car suffered from low fuel pressure but maybe It suffered from high fuel pressure?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Adding gaskets reduces the pump stroke which reduces the volume. Add enough and you will get to the point that the pump is barely able to keep up with the demand and the pressure goes down. Any additional pump and pump push rod wear over time will result in not enough fuel. So - yes it works - kind of... a bit like dumping the whole bag of dog food on the ground and shoving a cork up the dog's butt to keep it from eating it all at once. Ok, maybe that is a bit extreme. Rolling Eyes

The real cause of too much pressure is that the current manufacturers use a spring in the pump that is too stiff. It's the spring that dictates the pressure. The push rod arms the spring and the spring then pushes the fuel out when it is released. The proper fix is to use a pressure regulator, then you don't loose volume.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I made a couple metal spacers and stacked gaskets to get fuel pressure down.... then Turboed it to 13 lbs and never ran out of fuel....... might as well try it first.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

From reading here on theSamba it seems that some of our reputable engine building posters agree that the stock fuel pump (with the stock stroke) can put out enough fuel for about a 175 horsepower engine. That would seem to leave plenty of room to stack some gaskets, or even make shims, to reduce the fuel pressure. Since the fuel pump push rod stroke should be at 4 to 5mm it would seem that you could add up to around 2mm (0.080 inch) of extra gaskets and/or shims without any concern about a lack of fuel volume on a stock or nearly stock engine.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I did put a fuel pressure regulator on my ‘66 fastback. I was running some dual Brazilian fake Webers and somebody told me that they flooded easily.

After a while I took it off the car and I didn’t think it really made any difference one way or the other.

But it was your typical J C Whitney quality products so I don’t know if it was ever doing anything because I never had a pressure gauge on the system.

I do own a pressure gauge now however, and I think I will hook it up and see what kind of pressure we’re getting, if any, with the existing pump.

J-bugs sells a replacement pump for $20. I assume they’re made in Mexico or Brazil…

Well I’ve gone through five tubes of epoxy putty in the preliminary joining of the firewall to the cowl. It looks like one more tube is going to get the entire top section finished. I’m gonna need at least four more tubes to join the sides, and then there’s going to be a lot of fiberglass over the top of it later.

I have also been going through hell in revising my wiring diagrams over and over to get some thing that I like. I don’t want any extra connections or extra wires. I want it to look neat when I get done and also to be efficient electrically.

But the switchgear is going to be totally non-standard, so anybody who hops in this car and thinks they’re going to drive it, well let’s just say they’re going to get a rude awakening.

When I get done I will only have one speed on the windshield wipers and the turn signals will not be self canceling, nor will they operate from a stalk on the column. Forget about fog lights, radios, Dixie horns, or any of that nonsense. I’m trying to go very bare-bones here.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

My daughter brought me some broken steel furniture and I am practicing my light gauge TIG welding. I only blew through six times in 32 welds.

But this was a good thing for me because it pointed out the fact that I needed some practice to weld this submillimeter material. Fortunately this gave me a lot of practice doing small welds on corners and seams and edges, inside fillets, and welds from round to squares sections as well.

By the end of the process I could tell that I had improved my technique and control but of course I was getting tired by then. I expect to have good results on the chassis when I get around to the major welding. Also I think I’m going to be glad that this machine will do a good stick weld, Because there is some 0.188” & 0.145” steel that I intend to join with some tapered slugs made from 0.375x1.5” bar.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Smoothing & adding lots of lightness to the formerly crude, rusty, jagged, steering column support bracket.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This abomination was cutting me every time I stuck my hands under the panel with a wrench. I knocked off the nasty square corners, and drilled it. Then it got sanded and some self-priming paint, before I hid it again forever.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Why don't we have a "like" button on this forum? Question

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Yeah, electrical . . .

I have been dinking around with every other little thing, while I work on the wiring. It’s only half done because it has to work around other bits just as important, like the firewall and fenders.

I keep re-designing the diagram in my head and on paper.

I gathered up all the junk that I have trimmed off the car, And so far I have removed 30 pounds of metal including all of these bits, plus some more I have lost track of, and those huge heater boxes which are now lightweight tubes.

I still have to trim those big ugly fiberglass flanges off of the bottom of the hood walls.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

After another assessment, I realized that I sold the stereo from this car, and it’s never going back.

That means another 4 lbs and 3 each for the speakers, so 10. I added a bit to the column, and removed a lot of over-long bolts. I added a few bolts as well. That’s probably a wash.

That brings the total up to ~40 pounds shaved.

Reducing the 10 gal gas tank will be a big deal as well. I am dying to do that but it will have to wait. I’d really like to shave 150+ pounds off of the car. It moves pretty well with just me in the driver seat but if I can shave 140 pounds it will move the same with my wife in the passenger seat. Wink
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

More bits were shaved off the undercarriage today, including those ugly fiberglass flanges under the front fenders.

I also put a lot of epoxy between the cowl and firewall, to make the body one unit. I still have more to do along the lower edges.

And you can see I still haven’t patched those big holes in the firewall. For now they are handy because I can reach through the holes while I’m working on the wiring to the dash LOL. I’ll patch them up when I’m done.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

For some time I have been fighting with the alignment of the rear fenders to the rear body, and I have come to the conclusion that it only worked because the original assembly was so sloppy.

OK the truth is it never worked. There were big ugly gaps that the fender welt completely failed to disguise. I have done a lot of shaving to get these things to fit up against the body neatly.

I have managed to tighten it up enough that now a fender welt will disguise the gap.

Because I have lifted the rear runningboard attachment so as not to require big wood shims, I find to make the rear fenders fit they will lap underneath the bracket, but the running board goes over the bracket. This will allow removal of the rear body without removing the running board which must be permanently attached to the sidewall of the car in order for it to have any structural integrity whatsoever.

Once it is permanently bonded and then that Runningboard is bolted down through the steel frame, things will start feeling more secure. Maybe the doors will stay closed.

I’m kidding. I’m going to put big Cotter pins in the doors to keep them from opening at all. I will have to climb over.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

It sounds like not only was the original builder of this kit a bit of a hack but the kit itself is far short of being well thought out!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

The deficiencies are incredible.

The rear frame had a number of small errors which caused the whole thing to be crooked and warped. This caused a very poor fit up on the rear fenders and in trying to correct this I was led to discover that.

Anyhow I’ve been underneath the car for two days reaming holes and straightening members and taking measurements installing and removing and reinstalling everything.

I got the rear body to sit down level and square and it does not seem to be in any kind of a bind. Now I need to fabricate some body mounts because the rear of this body was never attached at the tail of the car.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

You are doing this car justice. That long front end with those huge headlights looks badass. This car leaped right out of a cartoon. It should be driven! Keep on it!!! Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Thank you.

I find it really funny that you should say that, because when I look at these modern Camaros and Mustangs And Chargers,what I see is that they took hot wheels toys from the 1960s & made them real.

But you are absolutely right in this car is definitely no replica. They decided to make it longer, lower and wider, and more rakish.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I decided that I simply had to cut some body clearance for the muffler. I intend to replace this with a different muffler in the future but for now it has already damaged the body reinforcement by rubbing on it and that will have to be cut away and repaired anyway.

So I start cutting away with a drill and a hacksaw at what I believe is layers of fiberglass and polyester resin over a plastic form. The plastic form appears to be half of a 1.5 inch ABS pipe. The ragged edge that I circled in yellow is where the muffler was rubbing through the body reinforcement.

But here’s what it looks like inside when I pulled it apart. This is a piece of cardboard tube, which has started to catch fire inside of the hollow fiberglass cavity.

So at this point I showed the damage to my wife, and she jokingly commented that I should just patch it up with some papier-mâché and sell the car!

Instead it looks like I’m going to be removing all the cardboard adjacent to my muffler, across the back of the body. I will replace it with a metal body reinforcement because I need to put in some rubber body mounts back there anyway.

I’m going to need some more chrome carriage bolts to make it look authentic from the outside. LOL
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Today I cut away about 80% of that rear body reinforcement, and the closest part of the exhaust system is now an inch and a half away from any of the remainder. I was going to take it all off but I think the bit in the corners will get Removed at a later date. For now it’s satisfyingly far away from the muffler and the body is no longer hanging on the exhaust system.

My previous photographs only show about 1/4 of the length of the heat affected zone, and there was lots more scorched cardboard inside that fiberglass.

I added a couple of big rubber donuts on top of my new square tube crossmember (in front of the rear shock absorbers.) They have jacking screws which allow me to pick up the rear body tub from the frame.

I need some more rubber body mounts at the rear of the car, and these are going to be rubber.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 24

Jump to: