Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SS100 "replica" Kit Kar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
Thanks, I've never seen a Towd without the body.

That's an interesting concept. I think on my body the bracket would be closer to the swingarm. I'll have to study this a bit.

There are a couple of spots where you can carry weight out back. Big U-bolts around the torsion housing, this is what holds the rear axle in many American cars. You have 1 bolt hole on each side right at the end of ends of the torsion housing (2 each side on older frames.) You also have the original rear body mount bolt hole about 1/2 way up the rear shock towers. Another place I can think of is attaching to the rear transaxle mount, if you get the rear frame for a transaxle strap kit but don't install the strap kit.

The photo below shows using 2 of those locations. What is above is the aluminum gas tank mounted to an angle iron frame. You can see in the lower right where I pickup up the rear transaxle mount. If you look past the clutch slave you can see where that rack picks up the shock tower body mount for a front gas tank frame mount.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Thank you EVfun. I want to see your EV now..
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I am following your build. Were you able to make any progress?
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

No, I haven't touched the car since my last post.

Mostly I've been working on getting things out of the garage into the new toolshed, so I have adequate room to work, plus I arranged an area by the shed where I can weld on the chassis.

But until the state gives me an appointment for a VIN inspection, I cannot title the car in my name. Until then I won't do more that finish cleaning up the wiring loom, remount the taillights, square up the subframe, and bolt the body back together.

Actually, by then I might have an appointment. Right now, no new appointments are available.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Just a feeble update to anyone who followed this.

Little progress has been made in the past 90 days, as I have been doing homely things like building a desk, fixing a roof leak, fussy water softener, building a new duplex doghouse, plus improving the dog kennel, toolshed and workshed.

I also wired a subpanel, and pulled real code compliant wiring in conduit, to replace my tangle of extension cords and power strips. The last time we ran a 120v MIG welder here it was a total joke. This was my first real rodeo with EMT conduit.

I now have 240v 50 amp power to run a real MIG plus extra 120v circuits for lights and tools. The power co is pushing a real 244.4 volts to me, so no worries about power dips now.

Anyhow I have been moving the SS100 fenders and doors etc out of storage,& back to the garage for a pre-re-fitment, and I'll be back on the wiring loom soon.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I finally take the body tub back off so the re-wiring can resume.

Switching wiring over to a new modern fuse box, I uncover a variety of sins.

Today, Ve haf dis Electric Tarantula. It looks vary dangerous and could attack at any time; so ve must deal vith it.

Aside from being worn out, this is why the VW ignition switch had to go!

Earlier, I asked the question, "If you give a monkey an unlimited supply of quick-taps, will he put one on every wire?"

Well, as you can see, he also had an unlimited number of crimp-splices.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I'm going to use uninsulated connectors and heat shrink tubing for a cleaner look.

Did you get a tag yet ?
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

No, not yet. It just hasn’t become a priority.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

The wiring continues with complete removal of the old fuse box, and the construction of improved battery cables.

It wasn’t hard to improve them. I mean look at this!

Having the body removed helps a great deal.

Anyhow the new cables have soldered terminal lugs on both ends and I will use marine-type battery terminals.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Crazy things I am considering, for the future:

Remove the electric horn. (I have the big brass honker.)

On-board air and tire kit instead of the spare tire. Save space.

My experience with VW electrics is marginal, and that was before cheap import parts, so maybe . . . dump the generator, dump the regulator, to lighten the tail, add a battery or two in the nose, and go with total-loss electrics.

Install a 4 gallon gas tank, because I'm not leaving town except on a trailer, so I'll need more ballast up front. This buggy is a tail-slider for sure. No weight in the front. IRS. Low CG.

Build an aluminum muffler, again to remove tail weight. I don't have my TIG yet, so it'll be after that.

On board fire extinguisher. This won't be an easy car to get out of.

Mechanical operated fuel pump shut-off.

Full-intake air filtering, with big air filter disguised as small antique trunk and rack, affixed above the engine.

Fiberglass hoops and bulkheads and ribs internal to the body, rather than a full tube-frame job. I'm not going racing, but it needs to be stiffer.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I keep going through my "collection", finding aluminum tubes and shapes that would make some biitchin' lightweight substructure. I don't want to add a lot of steel to what is a half plastic and aluminum car. I do want to remove the agricultural angle iron gas tank frame. The whole fuel tank setup is a big space waster

And aluminum wheels are certainly on my light weight want list.

I've got some nice sheets of aluminum diamond tread plate, and flat plate I have been saving since I had the Type 3.

I need a new rivet tool, but I have a lot of surplus USAF aircraft pop rivets too. Stainless and aluminum. And an aluminum brazing kit. I do like working with aluminum, but I have never welded or brazed it. Another adventure . . .
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

My wife found one of those horns and I put it on our Buggy. It is surprisingly loud! The down side is it got plugged quite quickly with bugs and was a chore to clean out again. I'm not sure what to do to fix that. Either put to on so I can swivel it down until I need it or make a fine screen cover...

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Maybe I should keep the electric horn Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Na. We're not going back, these things just look and sound too cool. It would suit your car even better than ours. I doubt you will have as much trouble with bugs if you don't drive it on the highway much. That is where we pick up the bugs. I'm thinking of stretching a ladies nylon stocking over it and fastening it with a big rubber band during heavy bug season.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Yes, this car will be a fair-weather garage queen. It has been in a showroom window for about 30 years. The body is still very nice for its age.

I have 3 old 1940's 6 volt MOPAR trumpet horns of different tones.
When I run all 3 on 12 volts it's like a freight train in the garage.

I was dreaming of this, but those things are huge and heavy. I have a heavier leadsled car to put them in. Wink The SS is going to stay light.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Another delay on the kit kar, as my garage got an NACL bath from a leaky water softener. Fortunately none of the plans, papers, or tools were damaged, and the wall will be OK. Floor is spotty and salty still.

I still spent $4k+ to get a new softener, high efficiency water heater, 4"x10" sediment filter, 3M bio-filter, a 4-stage RO-DI rack, and spiffy copper plumbing installed, on the cusp of our first ever purple-tier health lockdown.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Ouch! Nice that the parts and tools survived but even still the salt is hard on cement.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I need to clear out the whole garage and flood the floor for an hour, but it's a lot of work.

Good news: In my junk I discovered some more aluminum tubing I have been hoarding since the 70's... This will make perfect lightweight struts for replacing the angle iron bits, and reinforcing the rear tub.
JagSS100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Hello, Resourceful Ulu, and interested parties,
Thought l would share some SS100 insights, from years of experience with AC&A replicars (I have built or restored six of them, with two more in process at the moment)
SS 100 Replicas range from the Suffolk and Finch builds, which are basically all in the 100k value range, and are completely (Finch) or mostly (Suffolk) recreations of the real thing, down through Automeccanica (Italian) replicas, all 50 that were produced were sold in the USA, down to the fibreglass kits marketed by several builders in the early seventies, of which Antique & Classic Automotive ranks in the upper echelon.
The better-built cars included a custom frame constructed mostly from 2 inch, .125 wall square tubing, which allowed the placement of components in the most desirable location, rather than working around existing frame/pan limitations. These frames were used by a number of different replicar builders, we have seen them under 3 different bodyshells, and seem to have been jigged up by a welding shop in Fargo, North Dakota in some quantity.
The ultimate value of these kits, both in resale and in ride quality, rests on the degree to which they replicate the original S100 dimensions, handling, acceleration, and appearance; Obviously, the Suffolk and Finch cars top the list but average over 100k in today's market (The original cars are pushing 1MM at present)
With sincere apologies to the VW-centered mindset on this site, the VW powered and panned replicas were the least satisfying of available donor replicas, and command the lowest prices in the market, usually under $2000.- in 2020 dollars; The bulk of the SS100 kitcars were designed to use Mustang 2
mechanicals and suspension, which preserves the power and weight balance of the original cars. (with the added benefit of getting another Mustang 2 off the road)
One advantage, for the performance minded, is that the Mustang/Pinto engine (2.3 liter Lima 4 cyl.) and driveline are sought after by the circle-track racing crowd, therefore many performance parts are available for cars built on Ford donors; YouTube has videos of several of these engines being built into the 600-800 HP range, so one can take the SS100 build to extremes if desired.
Many other replicas (including 2 of ours) use mid-sixties Jaguar engines and running gear (3.8 liter Hemi)...They sound fierce, have stupendous straight-line acceleration, and look the part with the hood up, but plow in the corners
with so much weight in front...The Ford-powered cars exhibit much better weight distribution, sportscar sound, and balanced handling.
Ford powered replicas, of which the 'Duke' is the most common, seem to sell in the 5k to 20k range; Jaguar-powered AC&A fiberglass cars can price out over 50k depending on the quality of fit, finish, and period accessories.
So I'm wondering....before you spend countless hours restoring the beetle-based car you now have, only to find it may be less than rewarding when finished....It might be profitable to find a ladder-frame example to restore instead, using many of the fiberglass and detail components you already have to complete the project.

Best wishes in all your endeavours!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I've seen 2 of these in my whole life and I bought one. Where ever would I find another to restore?

JagSS100 wrote:
. . . the fibreglass kits marketed by several builders in the early seventies, of which Antique & Classic Automotive ranks in the upper echelon.. . .

Really? Oooooof! Judging by my examination of the 'glass work, I'd hate to own a lesser marque! The 'glass structure needs to become a structure. Right now it's a joke.

JagSS100 wrote:
. . . before you spend countless hours restoring the beetle-based car you now have, only to find it may be less than rewarding when finished....It might be profitable to find a ladder-frame example to restore instead, using many of the fiberglass and detail components you already have to complete the project. . .

I might be more inclined, but I want to lighten the car. Not make it heavier.

Also, not too much resto is needed, since it basically sat in a showroom for 30 years, however the original build was wanting in several areas.

I don't have any inclination to make this a Ford, "keep" this a "Jag" or a "VW" either, since it is neither. I'll slice and dice until I create something I like or give up and sell off the bits.

So is there any estimate of how many A&CA SS kits were sold? What I found of the company history was scant and unrevealing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: