Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sams 1968 California KG project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Hello! My name is Sam. I’m from Northern California and I’ve been a long time ACVW fan since I was a kid. It’s been many years since my last T1 and I’m excited for this New project.

1968 all original California survivor!

Runs drives and stops but there will be lots of work done very soon. Everything original. Engine code says H5 indicating early 1968 build date.

I’ll be doing my best to update regularly.
Thanks for looking!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Nice paint job. And the car is nice too.

Welcome to the '68 club.
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

So far from I can tell it has a narrowed, lowered beam with adjusters. The adjusters look to be the ‘heavy duty’ style, not puma. However, they were welded in pointing nearly straight down. I’m surprised they haven’t been completely ripped off by an angry pot-hole by now.

I may eventually put an unmodified (rebuilt) beam back in with drop disc spindles.

Another immediate concern is the shifter being extremely wobbly. Difficult finding 1 and 2. My guess is the bushing is toasted. So that appears to be first on the list of repairs.

The speedo also was bouncing all over on the freeway until it stopped completely. My guess was it needed lubricant until it might have broken all together. Time to investigate the cable.
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

Welcome to the '68 club.

Thank you I’m happy to be in the club!

Anything specific to ‘68 that I should be aware of? One year only features?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

Welcome to the '68 club.

Thank you I’m happy to be in the club!

Anything specific to ‘68 that I should be aware of? One year only features?

The seats are one-year only - apparently unpopular everywhere. I replaced (but kept) mine with Porsche 924 seats. Disk brakes in front and 1500 motor. Small blinkers in front, small taillights at the rear. I would say it was a good year - but I may be biased.
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum Very Happy Sweet ride you have there! All things considered, 68 may be the best model year, as it has the old look but with improved gear underneath Cool Enjoy it!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Nice find. Looking forward to follow your journey.
Ant B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Love it sir.
mine is a 68 too.

i will be following with anticipation.

Ant
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Took some pics today and gave it a quick inspection. Very very little rust. Overall this thing is in amazing shape.

There is one major area of concern and that’s the rear quarter(s). There seems to have been a collision and lots of body filler. Not a professional job either. Eventually I’m sure I’ll be replacing the outer skin of the entire right rear section. Not something I’m totally afraid of but also not something I want to dive into right away.

And it’s all there! A complete CA original. Interior looks to be all original.

Here’s some pics:

LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

It looks good. Some OG parts still on it like the washer bottle and horns etc... Hopefully, the rust areas around the inside and outside of the rear glass don't become a huge rabbit hole. If you know what I mean. I will certainly enjoy watching your progress on the Ghia.
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

So I decided to do the first repair on the car. The dreaded shift rod bushing and coupler. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I want expecting, having read all the tech articles about it.

What did make it difficult was the top beam adjuster sitting right in front of the access hole. Since the shift rod is bent it had to be ”encouraged” to be removed. I had to partially disassemble the adjuster to get clearance.

I also measured the beam to see what was what and it looks like it’s 31’’ across at the center seam of the towers, so apparently stock width. The adjusters are pointing straight down so I’m assuming it was turned to get the front to drop.

I have acquired another unmodified beam that I’m planning to rebuild with drop spindles, eventually.

Under the back seat revealed some rusty pans but so far this is the only rust I have found. The heater channels looks great. It does look like the front was too low at one point and beat up the body under the nose cone. One more thing to fix!

Here’s a few more photos.

And lastly...my father in laws newest project. A one owner 1967 Triumph GT6! I have a lot of history with this very car. It belonged to a long time friends dad so I’ve been drooling over it for almost 30 years. He finally decided it was time to part with it so I felt I had to find it a new home.
Hopefully this doesn’t take up too much Ghia time haha!

LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

The radio tag is a nice piece of history. It has a date and address on it. I would preserve that, as it dates and identifies the cars location back in the day.
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

LVGhia72 wrote:
The radio tag is a nice piece of history. It has a date and address on it. I would preserve that, as it dates and identifies the cars location back in the day.

Yeah I was surprised to see it still intact. There’s a few other bits of paperwork that was in the car as well like the original dealer receipt.

I purchased it in San Francisco area and I don’t think it ever left until now.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

If you use a stock beam with dropped spindles they might ad width and could create a tire rub issue with the outer fenders. Im not positive but I think that CB dropped spindles ad 5/8” per side.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
If you use a stock beam with dropped spindles they might ad width and could create a tire rub issue with the outer fenders. Im not positive but I think that CB dropped spindles ad 5/8” per side.

Thanks for the info. From what I’ve been reading on here, most say the spindles will add width but unclear on how much. Maybe I should consider narrowing by 2’’ if I do add spindles?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
Hello! My name is Sam. I’m from Northern California and I’ve been a long time ACVW fan since I was a kid. It’s been many years since my last T1 and I’m excited for this New project.

1968 all original California survivor!

Runs drives and stops but there will be lots of work done very soon. Everything original. Engine code says H5 indicating early 1968 build date.

I’ll be doing my best to update regularly.
Thanks for looking!

Great find and welcome! Cool

You in the "Witness Protection Program"?

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
lonotch wrote:

Thanks for the info. From what I’ve been reading on here, most say the spindles will add width but unclear on how much. Maybe I should consider narrowing by 2’’ if I do add spindles?

That is what almost everyone ends up doing.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, that convinces me. I do want as wide of a tire as possible. My wife has a lead foot!

And as for the face, I was drawing in
Procreate while I was forum surfing. It was a rainy day...
scottandhis68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

68 would have had a wood veneer dash face. Paint looks good too. Just a preference. Also it would have had round reflectors on the rear quarter panels. Also something some people remove and weld up. Good luck and have fun. Make it your's. How you like it.
scottandhis68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Also, be glad you have good bumpers, trim, and seats. Good bumpers are hard to find. Seats are one year only so those are hard to find too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: