Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint color match question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Paint color match question Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 1974 factory Avocado green Thing. The shop I brought it to uses Valspar automotive paints. They can't cross reference the paint code. Can Anyone tell me what the closest Valspar color would be for that?
Thanks!!
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Paint color match question Reply with quote

Find another paint supplier that can decipher vintage paint codes. They do exist. Preferably one that is a PPG dealer. You'll be much more happier with the finished product taking this approach.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Paint color match question Reply with quote

If your shop won't properly match and mix the color of your vintage car- find a competent shop. They are giving you a first glimpse into what will surely be more disappointment.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color match question Reply with quote

PPG has that color in Concept with the semi gloss in the formula. Done an all over a couple years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3RAF1RMA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint color match question Reply with quote

Agreed, as a painting contractor I know they are capable of mixing what you want. That's their job. Sounds like Incompetence and or laziness. Go to another shop. And dont forget to ask them to give you pricing from someone else's account. They do it all the time. They can give you wayyyy better pricing than sticker price. The account they use doesn't matter your paying cash and its More tax write off for whatever companies account.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: