Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I want to build a big bore 40hp (late european 40hp) for endurance racing, and I would like to see your opinions about it.

My idea is:

1300 twin port cylinder heads ported and polished
Big bore kit
Lightened and balanced pistons, rods, flywheel…
4-1 header
About 9:1 cr
Doghouse oil cooler

I was thinking to put a center mount weber 36 dcnf (I want to keep the stock engine look)
What cam should you run on that engine?

The car will be as light as possible keeping all the sheet metal.

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

Are you talking track race, rally or endurance street like Mille Miglia or similar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Are you talking track race, rally or endurance street like Mille Miglia or similar?

Track race. I was thinking about an engle w110 or a webcam 163

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

do you have to stay 1200cc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

PEPPE wrote:
do you have to stay 1200cc?

Not necessarily, but I don't want to spend a lot of money building a bigger motor, I just want a quick 1400 to have fun, and sitck a bigger engine on the future. The car will be as light as possible, so with about 70hp should move quite well (I'm thinking about 600kg for the whole car)

Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

Does anybody know what are the cc of the chambers of the 1300dp heads?

I don't have them with me at the moment and I want to calculate the CR, deck height, etc

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

47 cc stock as I recall.
Flycut 2,5 mm is approx 37 cc with an untouched chamber.

Come to think of it, I actually have a set on the shelf from an abandonned historic race project. - 1300 bore, 36 cc chambers, cleaned up ports, competition valve and seat job, cut for dual springs. They can go for a fair price. PM me if youre interested.

T
VeeDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

Please don't forget the balancing of the crank, it's essential for bearing life especially with the relative weak 34/40HP-crank. They are often beyond factory limits.

And Torbens offer is more then overthinkable...

Do you know anything about the meeting at Tossa the Mar in September?
Is it canceled?

Always Aircooled

VeeDee
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

SERIUSLY off topic, but I would like to know about that too.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

How much can I flycut the heads without having clearance issues with valves and pistons with an w110 or webcam 163?

I would look to balance the crank, it all depends on the cost of the labor, its a budget build (a bigger motor should come on the future)

On my 1.6 I have all the rotating assembly balanced and it's very smooth and fast revving

About Tossa de Mar, I have no idea if it is cancelled or not, but I can ask about it

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

Hi, the Tossa de Mar show is not cancelled as of today. Of course it depends on what regulations will be in place by then regarding public gatherings, etc. so it's not possible to insure anything at the moment. In any case the organizers are trying their best to make it happen if at all possible.

stay safe guys!

Alberto, which endurance race are you planning to run?
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
Alberto, which endurance race are you planning to run?

I'm going to race first of all on budget races, 5-6h long, to see if the car performs as well as I want. If I like it, I will step up to bigger races. Also I want to do some trackdays with it

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

VeeDee wrote:
Please don't forget the balancing of the crank, it's essential for bearing life especially with the relative weak 34/40HP-crank. They are often beyond factory limits.

And Torbens offer is more then overthinkable...

Do you know anything about the meeting at Tossa the Mar in September?
Is it canceled?

Always Aircooled

VeeDee

In case anyone was still wondering the Tossa de Mar show is officially cancelled now Sad
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Endurance racing big bore 40hp advice Reply with quote

DANG!
Oh well, lets hope next year things will be more back to normal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: