Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Heres the goal:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can put a grommet just about anywhere you want up there below the fiberglas.
Westfalia has drilled 12 holes in the top to bolt down the fiberglas roof.
You will be drilling "hole #13" and perhaps "hole #14".

A hidden wire from the lower cabinet area (or aug battery or solar controller) inside the driver pillar.
The driver door air vent cover can be removed to fish the wire into the lower cabinet.

I found a decent route that gets above the headliner by drilling a hole onto the pillar behind the Westy Spice shelf.
Once you're above the headliner area, it's just a hole thru the roof and you're into the "dry" area below the fiberglas westy cargo roof.

I used it for a solar panel wire and also for a stove-front switch to turn on kitchen lighting.
A switch that I can poke, just leaning in from outside the slider door.
The route could be used to route power to high-beam lighting bolted to the cargo roof.

Note that it's VERY VERY easy to remove the cargo roof. It's four screws and four nuts, and takes 5 minutes.

=========
    I had a rather difficult battle with my roof, trying to be a Samba hero.
    I cut into a '85 Tintop hulk, found the perfect wire route,
    came home,,,, measured carefully, drilled cautiously and BAM !
    ....discovered that that the underlying Westfalia structure was different.
    The photos were graphic and caused significant distress to Samba members.
    One fearless member (MarkWard) who has cut out an entire 2WD running gear and installed a Syncro drivetrain, was queasy.
    So I photoshopped out the violent elements of the battle in this opening post.

Note: These photos remain in subsequent replies from the distraught members .....so use care in scrolling.
    Consider it an example that real mods won't be all puppies and rainbows.
    And remember that lots of Samba members enjoy a big fight. Wink

=========

"Bending the hole" is pretty important to help you get the fish wire going in the direction of "down the pillar.
It also helps to blunt the sharp edges of the drilled hole.
An allen/hex wrench works well for this.

From the pillar, the wire goes rearward a little behind the spice rack then back forward to get above the headliner card.
Once you're above the headliner you can pierce the roof wherever you want.
I sheathed my wire with a (light blue) poly hose for added protection from unknown sharp edges inside that pillar.

From behind the spice shelf you can go forward under the headliner board, then thru the roof to the Westy cargo area.

You can also route behind the spice shelf to the rear closet.

Here's the pic showing that there's already a large hole in the sheetmetal pillar.
You just have to poke a hole in the fabric.

==============================

NOTE:
    This opening post has been edited to show the project better.
    If you have tender eyes, be cautious in scrolling thru the following replies.

But in any case I now have a 10ga wire completely hidden to below the Fiberglas cargo roof, and it's "all good".
    But with this SAMBA info, your hidden wire route will be 'easier'. Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 am; edited 14 times in total
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I found a decent route for a hidden wire from the Westy cabinet area, up the driver side pillar, and into the headliner below the westy cargo rack...

Thanks laying this out. Curious what your wire exit setup under the luggage rack is? Looks fairly stout and weather proofed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Great spot! Thanks for sharing.

But with this - and solar panels in general - please use MC4 fuses on the outside.

Also - where is the ground from your solar panel?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

OK so I'll show you the hard way that was supposed to be easier.
I was trying to find a simple way to do it without having to remove the headliner card or the spice shelf.
But this was dicey.
Drilling behind the spice shelf is a better way.

Well,,,, first I did it like this ^^^
I cut into the rooftop then drilled with a long 3/8 bit into the driver pillar.
I did not enjoy this.

There is "a way" to do this, you can see an existing hole in a sheetmetal brace that works as as a drill guide etc.
I could explain it, but no real NEED to, 'cuz drilling behind the spice rack is much better.
I covered the roof hole with a stainless steel plate that's riveted on and sealed with Permatex UltraGrey®.
All of this is in the open space beneath the fibreglas Westy Cargo roof.
You can come up into the roof space (almost) anywhere.
The wire is inside a 5/16" plastic tube conduit that goes down the pillar, and all the way to the bottom of the Westy cabinets.

Here's the Solar panel connection.
The SAE bulhead connector will emerge partway up the side in the forward area of the cargo area recess.
Its grounded to the van body.
I used 10ga wire.
The SAE connectors are 12ga wire.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Couldn't you also just pop out the dome light and have line of sight access to the outer skin...if you part a path through lots of fluffy yellow insulation?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Couldn't you also just pop out the dome light and have line of sight access to the outer skin...if you part a path through lots of fluffy yellow insulation?

I think so.
How did you envision using that to get a hidden wire from the cabinets to the outside?

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

I would snake it up the route you went, and then grab it with the hooked end of a coat hanger from the dome light hole. Pull the wire through the dome hole. Drill a hole up under the cargo rack and snake the wire up to that hole and grab with aforementioned hook.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

These are two very scary photos. I couldn't imagine doing that.

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Just a thought about the blue wire and the cabinetry: you might want to add quick-cnnectors in there, should you remove the kitchen cabinetry one day. Otherwise you'll have to cut the wires.

As for the pictures of the hole, ouch!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
These are two very scary photos. I couldn't imagine doing that.

OMG. It certainly solves a problem, but I could never cut the roof like that. I spent a week building up my courage for the intake and exhaust holes for the Espar.

This is sealed and covered by the luggage rack so no harm. But wow, that’s a hole.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

When I did my solar from the luggage compartment, I ran the wire in under the lower tent strip. From here it could easily be brought down into the cabinet in several ways.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I would snake it up the route you went, and then grab it with the hooked end of a coat hanger from the dome light hole. Pull the wire through the dome hole. Drill a hole up under the cargo rack and snake the wire up to that hole and grab with aforementioned hook.

That might be the way to go for a tintop with a fabric headliner. But not many have Westfalia cargo roofs so that’s a different project.

A westy has a fibre-board headliner. You can unscrew a few headliner screws and pull it downward. Then drill the roof hole wherever you want, stick your whole arm in there and stuff it thru a rubber grommet.
Then you need to search for the missing plastic screw cap and decide which screw doesn't get one.

=================

VicVan wrote:
Just a thought about the blue wire and the cabinetry: you might want to add quick-cnnectors in there, should you remove the kitchen cabinetry one day. Otherwise you'll have to cut the wires.

Note the blue wire exits (the fabric of) the Van's driver pillar.
The cabinet rear is open to the van wall.

=================

Syncronoid that is a totally reasonable, clean, visible wire route.
I could have done that but had hidden wires as the goal.
If I can't make it more difficult, what the heck else am I gonna do? Wink

MarkWard wrote:
OMG. It certainly solves a problem, but I could never cut the roof like that. I spent a week building up my courage for the intake and exhaust holes for the Espar.....

I hear you on that, I was there. For days/weeks.
But there are photons being wasted out there,,,, lots of them,,,,, cast aside like spent condoms.
I had to move forward and get this panel wired up.

This is not the only hole you will find beneath the Westfalia fibreglas cargo roof.

Granted you are killing kittens for every hole you drill in a classic automobile.
It's difficult, and it should be.

I have had my solar panel for 6 months, and spent umpteen hours (days/weeks/months) figuring out how to mount the panel without drilling the fibreglas top.
See this thread: Solar panel in the luggage rack
But I will have to drill one 20mm hole in the fibreglas to screw down the 12v SAE connector/bulkhead.

I spent a fairly significant several days avoiding this nerve-wracking part of the job.
Then mapped out a course of action, and felt like I won the lottery when I was allowed to hack into a hulk.

I cut a rectangle out of a hulk destined for the crusher.

Then created a template to take home.

Here's the template sitting on my rooftop.
The plan was flawless.
Homework was done.

I very carefully transferred the location of the most kitten-safe location found on the '85 tintop to my '90 Westy.....
...but in spite of my efforts kittens around the world started dropping off like octogenarians at a Trump rally.
Once the nice, perfect round hole was there, and I saw inside that the structure was different..... well I had to make it bigger and make it work.
And make a cover.

And note that if this info was on theSamba I would not have done that.
So by publishing this "behind spice-shelf method" many kittens will be saved.

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Have you tested the setup yet? I know a user on here grounded his similarly and had trouble with his solar controller when he switched from a PMW to MPPT controller.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/7190...ry-pv.html

Quote:
The positive and negative wiring of the panels needs to be connected directly to the solar charge controller, and nothing else, in order for the controller to accurately monitor the panel output. Otherwise the controller cannot accurately adjust the charging current running from the controller to the batteries. This means the controller should also be wired directly to the batteries by suitably sized positive and negative cables, so the controller also can accurately monitor the actual battery state as part of the charging process. It’s unavoidable to “ground” the controller’s “ground” (not negative) terminal to the vehicle chassis “ground”, the same “ground” as the batteries are connected to. But that’s not the same as running your panel output directly through the vehicle’s “ground”. That’s my view of it, based just on how my system works.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Have you tested the setup yet? I know a user on here grounded his similarly and had trouble with his solar controller when he switched from a PMW to MPPT controller.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/7190...ry-pv.html

Quote:
The positive and negative wiring of the panels needs to be connected directly to the solar charge controller, and nothing else, in order for the controller to accurately monitor the panel output. Otherwise the controller cannot accurately adjust the charging current running from the controller to the batteries. This means the controller should also be wired directly to the batteries by suitably sized positive and negative cables, so the controller also can accurately monitor the actual battery state as part of the charging process. It’s unavoidable to “ground” the controller’s “ground” (not negative) terminal to the vehicle chassis “ground”, the same “ground” as the batteries are connected to. But that’s not the same as running your panel output directly through the vehicle’s “ground”. That’s my view of it, based just on how my system works.

I can testify that using the chassis of the Van as the ground connection for both the solar panel and a Renogy PWM controller is just fine. My setup is very similar to Sodo's, but I have a 2" visible loop of wire just in front of the spice rack.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Grounding....very interesting.
Seems a little obvious now that I’ve seen more than a few solar installations by people who ought to know and don’t recall seeing them chassis grounded.
Cutting the wire run in half is compelling.
I can’t think of the principle as to why it would be any different but I suppose someone knows.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

I mean if it works then dont sweat it. If i had to imagine it would make a difference because your panel doesnt produce 12v. It produces like 19v. But youre grounding to a 12v circuit. If anything you might lose 5% efficiency. Or maybe none at all. Just thought id relay info from another thread.

You did a good job sealing up that hole. I also dig the strain relief clamp
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

OK now I understand.
It kinda looks like to do this project, you have to hack a big jagged hole in the roof.

It can be done nearly as you wrote. The wire comes up from the lower cabinet, behind the spice shelf, above the headliner card, and then thru the roof somewhere out in the open where you can drill a nice round hole for a grommet.

I'll go back and edit the top post so it doesn't look like you have to hack a hole in the roof with the jaws of life to do this project.

a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Nope...I'd never open my van up like a tin can like this. I couldn't do it.

Syncronoid wrote:
When I did my solar from the luggage compartment, I ran the wire in under the lower tent strip. From here it could easily be brought down into the cabinet in several ways.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Simple, clean, elegant, waterproof.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Sodo,

This is a really elegant factory-like solution. It seems like the sausage making may have set some folks off, but I for one thank you for making the sausage and sharing the process and outcome. I'm in the process of trying to add solar to my alternator charging and will keep this route in mind.

Quick question, how did you route the solar wire through the luggage rack? Drain hole or drill a separate hole?
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Another example.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: