Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

DeLvxe wrote:
Quick question, how did you route the solar wire through the luggage rack? Drain hole or drill a separate hole?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put the bulkhead port a little above ground level, on the front wall.
Doing this again I'd put it on the passenger side, not driver-side.

NOTE: If you want the solar mounts that clip into the Westy Cargo loops see Ela's Samba ad:
Solar clip on mounts for Westy cargo loops.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Too scary!
I'm putting all of my kittens in a large plastic see-through Tupperware tote, sealed tight until the danger has passed!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I put the bulkhead port a little above ground level, on the front wall.

Why would you opt to put it on the passengers side?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

TurtsMcSlow wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Why would you opt to put it on the passengers side?

Well it could be "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

Working on the van in the driveway, and camping are different.

Camping.... As soon as the top goes up, the floor is cleared and we pile stuff onto the driver's seat. Usually a couple clothes bags, jackets.

I found that by the time came to set up solar, the Driver seat was plugged up, stuff even leaning on the door. Same problem putting it away. We camped for 24 nights this summer and I kept wishing the solar connection was on the passenger side.
I intend to put a Solar port under a Westfalia Utility door for connecting solar wires on the driver side.

So roof access happens about 95% on the passenger side (when we camp).

If your awning covers your passenger sear gutter, then perhaps driver side is better roof access.

NOTE: Here's Member (and great personal friend) Elalamblin's Samba classified ad for these solar mounts that clip into the Westy Cargo loops:
Solar clip on mounts for Westy cargo loops.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Forum;

...following this thread with interest!

Sodo; Making that hole is a pretty difficult affair...have you considered a .45cal slug coming from the second floor porch overlooking the vehicle?

How is gear oil like underwear? I continue to come up to speed on this forum, and it seems like this is something I either need to know, or might just be curious about...!

Cheers
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Problem with this post is it shows the right way first but includes the wrong way in later posts.
People skim the post, thinking the end is the conclusion.
Its not, the end is the mistake.

The entire project is in the FIRST POST, its tidy and works great.

I put my SAE plug on the drivers side of the fiberglas cargo roof.
Doing it again, I’d cross the roof and put the SAE plug on the passenger side.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
have you considered a .45cal slug coming from the second floor porch overlooking the vehicle?

:2gunfire:
Laughing
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Sodo;

I did get that and I did carefully take in the entire thread...thanks for the clarification...

Hey, I love a good analogy/metaphor:

...yet, the question remains about that underwear thing...

Cheers
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

For members who arrive upon this thread;
these two pics summarize the wire route.
It gets you a hidden wire down to the bottom of the Westy cabinet without much trouble,
and you can access the area behind/under the driver's seat too.

NOTE: It's important to understand there is a vertical seam in the pillar "at 5 inches".
AHEAD of the seam, you can drop a wire all the way to the bottom of the pillar.

If anyone has specific Qs regarding Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar I'll try to help.

pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

I just completed my solar install and wanted to share how I ran the wire into the van. Note that my headliner is removed and there are no cabinets in the way.

I drilled two holes in the roof and installed a pair of gland nuts. These have a rubber seal on the outside where it meeds the body and as the nut is tightened it clamps down around the wire with a seal.

Another difference is how I routed into the B-pillar. I ran the #10 red wire to the rear and into the cavity where the vents are normally located. See the red wire in the vent of the first photo? There is a metal floor that you need to get through. This is the fun part. The only power tool I had that would fit was a Dremel with a small metal cut-off wheel. I went through a lot of these wheels but finally punched through. I then used the cutoff tip of a rat tail file and needle nose vise grips to open it up and clean the sharp edges. See photo below. The hole is not round, and is a bit jagged, so the wire runs through a rubber grommet installed in a fender washer and then glued down with metal epoxy. The wire then goes back forward and drops down the B-pillar.

Gland Nuts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0876KR2FP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Pbrown this is very helpful! Thank you! I’m gearing up to do a similar thing. When you got through the vent “floor” were there no more obstacles when feeding the wire forward and then down the b pillar? Did you just push the wire and it followed the contour or did you fish the wire from below?
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

peffleyjeanne wrote:
Pbrown this is very helpful! Thank you! I’m gearing up to do a similar thing. When you got through the vent “floor” were there no more obstacles when feeding the wire forward and then down the b pillar? Did you just push the wire and it followed the contour or did you fish the wire from below?

I used something just a bit more rigid to fish the wire through. There are no additional obstructions. You could also fish it through to the C-pillar if needed.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Pbrown. Thank you! Curious if you think there’s room for the positive and negative cables? I plan to connect both to the controller. I’m Usonian 10 gauge Renogy cables.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

peffleyjeanne wrote:
Pbrown. Thank you! Curious if you think there’s room for the positive and negative cables? I plan to connect both to the controller. I’m Usonian 10 gauge Renogy cables.

You could get two cables through there. The hole at the vent will need to be large enough for both. It's not easy to work in that space.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

pbrown thanks for the pics.
The wire going down the rear (vertical channel) of the __ pillar is a good way too.
I didn't even think about that because I knew there was a big hole at the bottom of the forward (vertical) channel in the pillar.

Is your van a tintop or a Westfalia?
Tintop roof structure is different.
I think Westfalia roof structure and Sunroof are similar.
================
For those who scrolled thru the carnage, it's reasonable to be deathly afraid of the massive power of the drill in your hand.....

Here's a few of the pics above, combined into one that you can put on your phone.
And added a couple more notes where the 'perspective' was a little confusing.
Note the "dirt line" ghosted on the headliner and the headliner screw hole.

Possibly the hole can be bigger than what I drilled (5/16") but I don't remember. I'm pretty sure there's space for a bigger wire hole "forward & downward" but
probably should drill a little test hole, then probe with an allen wrench to determine the bounds of the structure behind.

If I could "do over" I would add a 3-way lighting circuit over to the right side - to be able to turn on/off the kitchen lights from the slider door pillar.

pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden wire to Westy fwd cargo area via driver pillar Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Is your van a tintop or a Westfalia?
Tintop roof structure is different.
I think Westfalia roof structure and Sunroof are similar.

This van started as a GL tintop but is now a Westy. The old top was deconstructed and the Westy welded in. We made every attempt to be as Westy as possible but there may still be some differences.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: