Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Passing of Darrell Vittone.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

Not sure where to post this, but figured here is as good as any. Empi has posted on their FB page that Darrell Vittone passed away earlier today. Make a point to hang out with the older generation at the track/show. You don’t know how long they may be around, and you usually learn something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Not sure where to post this, but figured here is as good as any. Empi has posted on their FB page that Darrell Vittone passed away earlier today. Make a point to hang out with the older generation at the track/show. You don’t know how long they may be around, and you usually learn something.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………...wow what a loss I saw him race years ago at are ohio track drag way 42 spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

Headlines on Bing said Darrell and his Wife died in a Dune Buggy crash at Pismo.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

Bummer .. RIP DV
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tucson vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

I heard he died at home from possible bladder cancer with his wife by his side .
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

Post on FB 36 hp page said he’s died from cancer. Dude did 166 mph in 36 based Karman Ghia.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Headlines on Bing said Darrell and his Wife died in a Dune Buggy crash at Pismo.

Think they got him mixed up with the recent death of Marty Smith and his wife.
https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/id/29113993/hall-fame-motocross-rider-marty-smith-wife-die-crash
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

His favorite quote went something like this: One test is worth the opinion of 1000 experts. Not many have contributed to this sport like he has or did. I started in 1967, Darrell a few years before me. This is the passing of one hard working guy and it took me until Bug In 32 to meet him and his dad. I am glad I did!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to meet and talk with Darrell at Bonneville in 2014. A very humble down to earth man who was happy to talk with anyone and share his experience.

Rest In Peace Darrell
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

Very sad day. We lost a pioneer. we all owe homage to him.
God speed Darrell.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

RIPit again!!!.when you get through those pearly gates just let it RIP!!!! dont worry about the tire tracks, those will just be to let us know we made it to the right place. see ya there SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

Dang, all our time will come... still it never gets easier hearing the next guy passed. Rest in peace Darrell Vittone Sad
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

Race in peace old friend. I Thought id see Mr Vittone this year. Corona screwed everything up for everybody. He will be missed Sad.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

An old saying--

“ you live as long as your name is spoken”

He is one of those guys that will be remembered a long time.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

RIP Darrell. Legendary!

http://cal-look.no/nostalgia/risefall1.html

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

Very sad news. Rest in peace Darrell
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………...wow what a loss I saw him race years ago at are ohio track drag way 42 spencerfvee

It’s a loss anytime we loose a mentor/pioneer in our hobby. Racing with you, and Hank are among the best memories I have racing at 42, and it was always great hanging out at the banquets.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

I am just amazed by the lack of posting on Darrell's passing.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:

On Empi’s FB page, 399 people have “liked”, “loved”, or posted a “crying emoji”. 15 have commented, and 129 have shared.

I’m not trying to sound insensitive, but if you aren’t very deep into the history of Empi, or know of Darrell’s Racing history, you may not know who he was. The majority of his accomplishments were before I was even born.

The first reply to this post is from Jack Spencer. I drag raced in a VW series our friend Doug created with Jack, and an earlier posted friend of Jack’s, Hank Lentz. Jack, and Hank have been racing VW’s since the 70’s. One event I won, while racing Hank, I was awarded one of Jacks “recycled” trophies from a class win of the track we were racing at from the year I was born, 1974. That’s my fondest memory of 450+ passes at 5 different tracks I made drag racing the Superbeetle in my avatar. Hank recently passed away. There weren’t any FB pages, or Samba posts about him. He was actively racing an Aircooled VW up until 2012. If you weren’t familiar with drag racing in Northeast Ohio, or were within his circle of VW friends, you would not have known who he was.

Addition: I would have thought with all of this stay at home BS, the forum would be exploding. It almost seems as if it’s had the opposite effect, where people are doing other activities, as opposed to posting on the forums.

Last edited by [email protected] on Sun May 03, 2020 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Passing of Darrell Vittone. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
wheel607 wrote:

On Empi’s FB page, 399 people have “liked”, “loved”, or posted a “crying emoji”. 15 have commented, and 129 have shared.

I’m not trying to sound insensitive, but if you aren’t very deep into the history of Empi, or know of Darrell’s Racing history, you may not know who he was. The majority of his accomplishments were before I was even born.

The first reply to this post is from Jack Spencer. I drag raced in a VW series our friend Doug created with Jack, and an earlier posted friend of Jack’s, Hank Lentz. Jack, and Hank have been racing VW’s since the 70’s. One event I won, while racing Hank, I was awarded one of Jacks “recycled” trophies from a class win of the track we were racing at from the year I was born, 1974. That’s my fondest memory of 450+ passes at 5 different tracks I made drag racing the Superbeetle in my avatar. Hank recently passed away. There weren’t any FB pages, or Samba posts about him. He was actively racing an Aircooled VW up until 2012. If you weren’t familiar with drag racing in Northeast Ohio, or were within his circle of VW friends, you would not have known who he was.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..hi thanks for the kind words about hank and me .I started drag racing vws when I lived in Hawaii .that was 1965 I stopped when hank passed away. over the years I meant a lot of good vw people like you the EMPI inch pincher changed the way back then on how a vw drag car was built . Darrell was a head of his time back in the 1960s and 70s spencerfvee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: