Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New classic manx #93
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

After I got the dash glassed on, I moved on to the fuel filler. I put tape on the fender and marked where the tank starts and stops. Then made a reference line to measure from, so I can find the distance inward to a nice flat spot on the tank. Next I placed the hood on and made a mark on the hood from that measurement. Then the hard part..... Drilling the hole lol.
After the filler was in the hole I used a marker to mark the gas tank using the inside of the filler as a guide.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a video if my wording is confusing lol.

Link

joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Looks great. Good job.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Now that I have the hole in the hood, time to weld on the fittings to the tank. welded a -6 feed and return on the bottom of the new tank. Plus I welded in the new filler and capped off the stock filler

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well the dash frame did not fit so well. Had to modify it to work, felt like it was welded up to be a right hand dash or something. Took a video to show what I had to do to get it to work. I think it was just a fluke that it fit that badly.

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Made some progress once again. Got the holes for the steering column drilled and did not hack it all up lol. Plus I got the out side mirror mounted.

So Bug Jam is in about 14 weeks. Going to try to push hard and see if I can get it there under its own power. Probably biting off more than I can chew but I need a goal and the wife is all for it, so I got to try. Still have to wire it and build the motor but if it all goes smoothly I think I can make it.
Here's a video of the way I drilled the holes for the steering column.

Link

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

The mirrors on my Buggy are mounted just like that and about all I can see in them is the top of the rear fenders. I am racking my brain to come up with a way to raise them about 8" to a foot so they are useable and not leave an ugly empty hole in the body.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

orpn truthfully to me they are more for looks. Same brand and style Bruce sold in 1968.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Got the seals for the tag and tail lights. Mapping out where they will go, hopefully they come out symmetrical lol.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Tag and turn signal housing's are on.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well went to use the torque mister tool and snapped it off LOL.

So that killed the idea of doing the rear brakes. Then I set out to pressure wash the transmission with my youngest boy.
Well it's one of those day LOL. First it was out of gas, then once we got it fired up it leaked gas everywhere. Seems the ethanol fuel got hungry and eat a hole in the fuel line. So off to two different stores to find the correct size fuel line.
Once we got it back together, I let the little guy have fun pressure washing the transmission.

At least something got done.
Got my wiring harness in the mail. Now I can start on that after I get the brakes done lol.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Got the CB rear disc brakes installed. This is the kit that uses 914 rotors and custom hubs ( kinda like type 3 did). Very nice kit and installed easily.

Well since I'm trying to get this thing going this year I'm skipping the 002 transmission ( still collecting parts and$ lol ) and just put the stock trans back in. Hopefully it's a good one, never got to check it out, so we will see.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Man this looks like the spaghetti models for a hurricane lol. Will take some time but im getting it sorted. It's a cheap wire harness from Amazon, has everything I need plus a few that will not be used.

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

matthewl wrote:
Man this looks like the spaghetti models for a hurricane lol. Will take some time but im getting it sorted. It's a cheap wire harness from Amazon, has everything I need plus a few that will not be used.

Shocked Man! That's kinda scary looking! Shocked

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Getting it sorted out. Got to do The front, dash and then steering column.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Getting the front half of the harness sorted out. Good thing all the wires are labeled. Would take forever if I was doing this by color code or something like that.

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Brother, making wires look neat is a craft all unto it's self. People that can do it are to be admired. (I'm not one of them. Embarassed as much as I've tried over the years)

Keep up the good work!

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Got the harness pulled through the wire tube. Started to zip-tie it all up on these mounts I got off Amazon. I just used super glue to attach them.

Slayer61 man I'm not good at making this wiring stuff look great either, but it should do the job. Thanks for the encouragement tho.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Just to let you know, super glue (CA) I found is time release. It was originally designed as a replacement for stitches on wounded soldiers. I used to use it extensively to build model airplanes but found that after 3 or 4 years it lets go and I would end up with a plastic bag full of parts instead of an airplane. Now I only use it for quick field repairs.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Still working on the Manx when I can. Got most of the wiring straightened out. Now starting on the fuel system.

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Tackling the fuel system. Got to find a place for the boost reference regulator.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: