Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New classic manx #93
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Finally mounted the roof today. Got some clamping hardware from a Manx club member on Facebook.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Finally mounted the roof today. Got some clamping hardware from a Manx club member on Facebook.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well it's time to start mocking up the exhaust system. I really should continue on the motor , but have excitement in this so will keep going. I had to change my plans a little as the turbos I originally plan to use have two problems.
1. They are to small being T-15's ( originally was going to build a single port)
2. The waste gate are not indexable as the mount for the actuator is casted into the compressor housing.
So I changed to K03 turbos. They make 150HP each on 1.8 water cooled cars, so they should work well here. The goal is to make it look like dual cannon exhaust so most people will not even know it's turbocharged. Plus still be able to service the spark plugs, carbs and adjust the valves.
I think it will all work.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Started fabrication of the headers.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Cool build. A couple things I see.

That AC condensor isn't going to do much of anything, There is not enough airspace behind it and it is mounted in a huge dead air space to begin with.

Turbos don't car about how many ports there are. They should be sized according to displacement. Not sure how big your engine is but having a turbo on each side will be struggling to start with due to only 2 cylinders and a really eratic exhaust pulse, but unless you are well over 2.0L they are going to be very lazy.

Just my .002
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

The condenser has a fan to pull air over it so that should help. The motor is a 2287 so it should spin he turbos without to much drama.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Got the driver's side header tacked up, and welded up the passenger side. Things are moving forward.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Wow! you just got my attention! I will be following this one closely! I love the idea of twin turbos that mimic the dual cannon look.

slalombuggy wrote:
Turbos don't care about how many ports there are. They should be sized according to displacement. Not sure how big your engine is but having a turbo on each side will be struggling to start with due to only 2 cylinders and a really erratic exhaust pulse, but unless you are well over 2.0L they are going to be very lazy.

Just to build on what slalombuggy said, your turbos are sized for a 3600 cc engine so I would venture an educated guess of you reaching cross over somewhere north of 3500 rpm, maybe even 4000 rpm. In other words, there is going to be a big turbo lag there. You may not see any boost in 1st gear and just a bit at the top of 2nd.

As for the erratic exhaust pulse, I am not sure if that will be an issue or not with a turbo. It would be possible to bring the opposing exhaust across the the engine to get an even pulse. I am also not sure how using exhaust from a cylinder on one side of the engine to boost the other side would play out. I suspect as long as all cylinders were pulling their weight equally it wouldn't matter.

What are you going to do with the intake side? Common plenum? Intercooler? What boost pressures are you shooting for? What ignition system?
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

OPRN I'm running CB performance Magnaspark distributor and CB's black box for my ignition. As for the intake I would like an intercooler but there is no space. So for now each turbo will feed one side of the motor, by blowing into the carb on that side. As for the exhaust pulse, I've read the arguments on here and other places and figure it's not the end of the world. Those HD boys get away with it and make good power with a turbo that is to large for there motor also lol, is it efficient NO. But it should work well enough.
As for boost 15psi is my target and once all dialed in it will be launched on the 2step to eliminate any turbo lag.
From what I could find on the turbos, this combo fall in a liveable spot on the turbo map. Will it be perfect NO but should not be a big problem.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

matthewl wrote:
The condenser has a fan to pull air over it so that should help. The motor is a 2287 so it should spin he turbos without to much drama.

The problem is, the fans will just be moving the same air. It's like a vacumn up there, air just sits

Ya, the turbos will work, the engines just going to be at higher rpm before it starts to boost like oprn said, but if you're drag racing then it'll be fine, low end power isn't a big deal
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

More exhaust work done. Still need to make a support bracket for the glass packs.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well a lot has happened since my last post. Wanted to make it to VW Drag Night in South Carolina. So with the help of my friends and encouragement from my wonderful wife, we did it. It's not done by any means but it made it, 800+ miles in 21 hours.
Not the greatest idea as it has three miles under its belt before we left. But it made it and it was a great time. We left at 4A.M. Saturday and made it home Sunday at 1A.M.

The trip up was mostly uneventful, I had a wire connector on the regulator break off and it rained about 5 miles before we got to the track.

We pulled up to the gates at noon, paid the entire fee and tech in. That's right it's going down the track, nevermind that it has just drove 400miles there, nevermind that the throttle goes nowhere near full and the transmission mounts are trash. We are going to run this thing and drive it back the other 400+ miles.

So with rain coming the track started time trials, I wasted no time getting the manx up to the line as I knew this is my only shot at making a pass. Pulled up and clicked off one slow pass, as there was no way I'm going to break this thing on the line LOL. How slow you ask??? Well my 60' was 3 seconds if that gives you an idea. But it did run a 10:20 in the 1/8 mile which is not bad considering I don't have full throttle and was a snail coming out of the hole.
After a sigh of relief that it was still in one piece, we packed up as the rain was coming.
We left the track and headed home. About 10 miles down the road it started. And boy did it rain, rained so hard that there was more water on the inside of the windshield that on the outside lol. But it cleared up and we made it home with out much drama.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

You are my kind of guy! Years ago I rebuilt the engine in my'71 SB, stuffed it in and the next morning a buddy and I broke it in on an 8 hour run to the Okanogan. We spent the whole week there and came back home without one problem at all!

Ok, I lied, a semi tried to crush us up against a guardrail when our lane ran out unexpectantly!

I see you went back to N/A for the trip. Still going with the twin turbos at some point?
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Mathew, you are a very brave man. Well done, sir

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

OPRN still going to do the twin turbo, just did not have time to do the rest of the fab work that is needed.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

I suspected as much! All good.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Took a little trip to the beach

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

So I bought a dragy and started playing around with the Manx. I knew the pedal would not let it get full throttle, but the dragy shows how much it was hurting performance.

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Well, went on another road trip. Not so long of one this time but still had fun.

Link

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: New classic manx #93 Reply with quote

Thanks for that! Good to see someone else not afraid to actually drive a Buggy! We have done many long trips with ours in all sorts of weather and we do not have a roof! Just take a page out of the biker's book and invest in rain suits. Get a good quality one and you have nothing to fear from the weather!

We NEED more travel logs like this!

This picture was taken on one of our first trips with the Buggy at the Summit of the Rodger's Pass (4364 ft) 8.5 hours from home and 3 hours from our intended destination.

Lots of forest fire smoke that trip! That was with the original oil burning 1600 DP that came in the Buggy. Note the jerry cans and canoe on the trailer. Ready for either a gas shortage or a flood! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: